Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 90

Thread: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 76

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    I feel like the 8th amendment should be brought up at least to refresh everyone's memory of it.

    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

  2. #22
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,177

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    HIghly misleading. First off, I am against the death penalty but there is only one reason why we should abolish it. Nobody has a right to take the life of another that isn't threatening your life.

    The numbers you reference include states with higher homicide rates that while technically still has the death penalty on the books, they never use it. As a better example. Texas is most likely the best example for a state that uses it. It's homicide rate is 5.9. Michigan doesn't have the death penalty and it's rate is 6.7. California has it but doesn't use it, it's rate of 6.2 is included in the death penalty column.


    How does this explain D.C.'s rate of 30? (far and away the highest in the country)

    {edit} I see where you try and pass this off as inequality but they are killing each other. How does it make sense to kill those in the same boat as yourself?
    How am I trying to pass anything off? I'm simply admitting that there are mutiple factors contributing to crime rates. In the case of DC, I think the fact that I have never seen more desolate poverty in any other developed place on earth may be a big reason why it's so high there, despite not having a death penalty. I don't really understand what on earth you're talking about by "kill those in the same boat as yourself." Do you mean why is there so much homicide in DC? Well, a horrendously bad drug culture is a good place to start...

    I'd agree with you that it really is as simple as the fact that we don't have to right to kill people. But unfortunately that's an ethical argument which a lot of people simply are unable to understand. So I'm simply making the case that there are plenty of other great reasons to abolish the death penalty to go along with it.

    At worst, then, it is clear that no matter how you slice it it doesn't deter crime.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    How am I trying to pass anything off? I'm simply admitting that there are mutiple factors contributing to crime rates. In the case of DC, I think the fact that I have never seen more desolate poverty in any other developed place on earth may be a big reason why it's so high there, despite not having a death penalty. I don't really understand what on earth you're talking about by "kill those in the same boat as yourself." Do you mean why is there so much homicide in DC? Well, a horrendously bad drug culture is a good place to start...
    Too bad nobody ever addresses this.

    I'd agree with you that it really is as simple as the fact that we don't have to right to kill people. But unfortunately that's an ethical argument which a lot of people simply are unable to understand. So I'm simply making the case that there are plenty of other great reasons to abolish the death penalty to go along with it.
    I don't think you can make any other arguement hold water as I showed with your example. It was easy to dismiss. Don't be afraid of using the ethical arguement.

    At worst, then, it is clear that no matter how you slice it it doesn't deter crime.
    I certianly don't believe it's a major deterrant. There may be some small deterrant but it doesn't justify taking another life.

  4. #24
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    This is what happens in a tolerant, Socialist/Liberal Country that has run amuck and become wimps.

    No crime screams slow painful death like terrorism such as this.

    I say hang the bastard in a town square and let his toes just touch the ground.

    Is that being vengeful? You damn bet it is. I hate the Islamic Cults but you have to admit that painful punishment keeps crime down.

    In California we have a meaningless death penalty that when it is used is painless. I have been under general anesthesia more times than I can count and I assure you there is no pain other than a little pin prick.

    The world is sometimes too nice all around.

    As a Christian I should not feel as I do about this because I'm have a pretty good idea that this fanatic maniac will never be forgiven for this much sin.



    Leave it to Eurotrash to be criminal sympathizers. A 21 year max and no death penalty. Has it ever occur them them that the only people who would find a 21 year sentence worth it are murderers and mass murderers?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #25
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    My point is that you are wrong that such punishments keep crime down. The states that have a death penalty actually have, on average, the highest rates of violent crime and homocide.

    The point of the death penalty is to serve as the ultimate punishment a criminal can receive. The reason the death penalty does not act as a deterrent is because of the fact it takes 10-20 years to execute someone.Scumbag sympathizers do not give two ****s about the victims in their minds its not guilty until proven innocent. To them its innocents even after proven guilty.

    If they immediately executed those who received the death penalty it would serve as a deterrent. Do you think prison would serve as a deterrent if it took 10-20 years after a guilty conviction before they finally went to prison?


    They have a governmental culture of killing. Therefore, the people also have a culture of killing. Your blind vengence is part of the reason for that.
    That is just scumbag sympathizer nonsense.

    Some of the more extreme criminals do in fact want to be killed. And when you add up the average cost of appeals, the execution itself, etc, it's far more expensive that sticking them in jail forever.
    Lets see scumbag sympathizers impose of these costly provisions and now you want use the cost as an issue?
    Perhaps there should ways to make appeals less costly and limit the number of appeals based on the strength of the evidence.

    There is simply no advantage to it. And it's the mark of an uncivilized and erroneous sense of justice.
    There are plenty reasons to execute scumbags who are convicted of murder.

    1.Because he or she murdered a innocent person.I know scumbag sympathizers do not give a **** about the victims of these monsters, but normal people do and this is one of the reasons why we punish criminals and why the death penalty exists.

    2.With the murderer dead the victim's loved ones are not paying to keep the victim's murderer alive.They are not paying for the murderer's medical bills, food or life time security to keep him alive safe and healthy.

    3.A dead murderer is someone who can not harm or murder other people.

    4. A dead murderer can not be pardoned or released for oil or to idiotic reasons like the UK did with the Lockerbie bomber.

    5. A dead murderer can not give tv interviews.

    5.A dead murderer has zero chance of escaping.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Leave it to Eurotrash to be criminal sympathizers. A 21 year max and no death penalty. Has it ever occur them them that the only people who would find a 21 year sentence worth it are murderers and mass murderers?
    First off, that's their laws. They are a sovereign nation and allowed to construct their own laws. If that's what they want, that's what they can have. Their choice. Secondly, it's already been pointed out in this very thread how it is possible to hold the man longer, and in this case very likely to do so.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    5.A dead murderer has zero chance of escaping.
    How often are people escaping from our maximum security prisons though?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    First off, that's their laws. They are a sovereign nation and allowed to construct their own laws. If that's what they want, that's what they can have. Their choice.
    I agree with you on that.However I am free to point out the flaw in their choice and bash it.

    Secondly, it's already been pointed out in this very thread how it is possible to hold the man longer, and in this case very likely to do so.


    If this is true then I guess it is better than nothing.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I agree with you on that.However I am free to point out the flaw in their choice and bash it.
    Yes, but it's just pissing in the wind. We have no control over their rules, no rightful say in how they punish criminals their. It's their system and no skin off my teeth. They are free to do as they like.


    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If this is true then I guess it is better than nothing.
    From the first page:

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    For the love of god....the miss information is ripe over on the other side of the pond.

    Maximum sentence is 21 years yes.

    However there is Forvaring. This is a statute that states, if the criminal is a threat to society after his sentence then he/she can be put in "forvaring" (jail type scenario) form 10 to 21 years and then after that it can be extended every 5 years. This means he can be held for life.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Norway's 21-Year Maximum Penalty Sparks Outcry After Terror Attacks That Killed 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    How often are people escaping from our maximum security prisons though?

    Escape from maximum security prisons do happen. Inmates have 24/7 to think about what they are going to do. A guard has only 8 hours a day to think about what inmate are going to do.

    2 Convicted Killers Escape From Maximum-Security Indiana Prison

    Six Escape From Maximum-Security Prison - Caption - NYTimes.com

    Prison Escapes on the Decline - ABC News
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •