Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 468

Thread: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

  1. #271
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Why should somebody who will never use SS or FICA have to pay for it?
    The rich collect SS just like everyone else.

  2. #272
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Why should somebody who will never use SS or FICA have to pay for it?
    So you wont admit that you were wrong when you said that payroll taxes are income taxes? Asking questions won't make me forget about your mistatements of fact.

    And additional mistatements of fact wont do it either. Even the rich collect SS and use Medicare.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #273
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, what you said was, "the employer (AKA the "rich" also pays part of it."
    Yup. That's what I said. And you tweaked it to make a generalization about my ideology. Good game.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #274
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So you wont admit that you were wrong when you said that payroll taxes are income taxes? Asking questions won't make me forget about your mistatements of fact.

    And additional mistatements of fact wont do it either. Even the rich collect SS and use Medicare.
    Did you not read the first quote in the post I made? Payroll taxes are viewed as the federal withholdings on income earned, plus taxes for FICA (employer and employee), SS (employer and employee), and unemployment insurance (employer) as well as any state/local taxes.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #275
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Yup. That's what I said. And you tweaked it to make a generalization about my ideology. Good game.
    Payroll taxes are regressive because they don't apply to income above a certain level. As a result, the middle class pays a higher portion of its income in payroll taxes that the wealthy do.

    It's just one more way the wealthy have tilted the tax system in order to insure that the wealth created by the middle class flows into their greedy pockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #276
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Did you not read the first quote in the post I made? Payroll taxes are viewed as the federal withholdings on income earned, plus taxes for FICA (employer and employee), SS (employer and employee), and unemployment insurance (employer) as well as any state/local taxes.
    That doesn't make payroll taxes "income taxes" as you fallaciously claimed. Nor does it remove the fact that payroll taxes are a regressive tax that allows the rich to avoid paying their fair share
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #277
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So you wont admit that you were wrong when you said that payroll taxes are income taxes? Asking questions won't make me forget about your mistatements of fact.

    And additional mistatements of fact wont do it either. Even the rich collect SS and use Medicare.
    And that's my mistake, I must have misunderstood something I read.

    But at least I can admit my foibles. You're so wrapped up in making them over and over again that you can't even accept that you're wrong about 95% of the time.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #278
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The rich think they are entitled to lower rates for money they did not work to earn. Their sense of self entitlement is matched only by their lack of compassion
    What makes you think they didn't earn it?

  9. #279
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Any side largely talking about "revenue increases" and pretty much not touching entitlements is delusional and ignorant. Any side largely talking about cuts to discretionary spending and government programs is largely delusional and ignorant.

    75% of our spending roughly is spent on entitlements and defense. With entitlements making up the large majority of that. If we cut every bit of defense spending we'd still need to raise I believe 32% or so more revenue to balance the budget. Without SIGNIFICANT reform to entitlements and slightly less done to defense then all the politicians are doing is pissing on our leg and telling us it's raining.

  10. #280
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: BREAKING: President Obama Addresses the Nation Tonight at 9

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Actually, it isn't just anyone making $50k. You're talking about a family of four making $50k that probably pays not FIT. IOW, two working people making $25k each, raising two children.
    You miss the point, I really don't care how much someone else pays in taxes or who doesn't pay any taxes. I am more concerned over a 3.7 trillion dollar budget promoting out of control spending. If you are concerned about income taxes then promote the elimination of the 24 million unemployed or under employed Americans and then collect something from the millions who don't pay any FIT now. Think the rich can fund the liberal spending appetite? They don't have that kind of money.

Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •