Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

  1. #1
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,204

    Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    Speaker Boehner has said that he wants to negotiate directly with the Senate leaders. Here is what the Washington Times has on this:

    Significant disagreement remains in negotiations to roll back the nation’s debt, lawmakers said Friday, as the clock winds down toward an Aug. 2 deadline to raise the government’s borrowing limit and avoid default.

    “There was no agreement — publicly, privately, never an agreement — and frankly, not close to an agreement,” the Ohio Republican said during a morning news briefing at the Capitol. “So I would just suggest it’s going to be a hot weekend here in Washington, D.C.”

    House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said House Republicans — who earlier this week passed their “Cap, Cut and Balance” budget bill that would significant cut government spending and raise the $14.29 trillion ceiling on federal debt – have done their part and shouldn’t be blamed for the impasse.

    No debt deal as deadline looms - Washington Times

    Speaker Boehner will be speaking at 7:15 PM EDT, which is any second now, to address the President's comments made an hour or so ago. In the address by President Obama, he stated that he wanted the 4 leaders of Congess in the White House tomorrow morning and he stated that he wants them to explain to him about why we do not have an agreement.

    Uh, Mr. President, you can invite the leaders, but you cannot demand. You really need to learn that Congress is a co-equal branch of government to the Executive. They do not work for you.
    Last edited by LesGovt; 07-22-11 at 08:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,204

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    According to Boehner there was an agreement on tax revenues of lowering brackets and decreasing # of brackets, but then yesterday the President added over $400 billion additional new taxes. He changed the deal at the last moment. It appears negotiating with the President is like negotiating with "a bowl of Jell-o." Those were Boehner's words.

    Damn, Boehner said he would go to the WH tomorrow. Mistake!
    Last edited by LesGovt; 07-22-11 at 08:32 PM.

  3. #3
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post

    Damn, Boehner said he would go to the WH tomorrow. Mistake!
    Strictly politically speaking - he has to go.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #4
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    I wonder if the jello comment was directed at Michelle?
    Last edited by Μολὼν λαβέ; 07-22-11 at 08:45 PM.

  5. #5
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    Boehner never intended to agree to anything. His entire purpose is to hold the country ransom so he and his friends can keep getting their tax breaks.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #6
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,204

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Boehner never intended to agree to anything. His entire purpose is to hold the country ransom so he and his friends can keep getting their tax breaks.
    What? Have you not read the above. There was an agreement with the President and Boehner and it included doing away with the tax cuts. Sheesh! The agreement was to have less brackets and lower rates per bracket and less deductions which would add revenue. It was the President, not Boehner who reneged on the deal.

  7. #7
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    What? Have you not read the above. There was an agreement with the President and Boehner and it included doing away with the tax cuts. Sheesh! The agreement was to have less brackets and lower rates per bracket and less deductions which would add revenue. It was the President, not Boehner who reneged on the deal.
    It was a bad deal. And everyone knew it. Putting forth an awful deal does not entitle one to play the victim when it is rightfully rejected.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #8
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Boehner never intended to agree to anything. His entire purpose is to hold the country ransom so he and his friends can keep getting their tax breaks.
    Why do the dems, who have created no plan, remain absolutely blameless?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    Speaker Boehner will be speaking at 7:15 PM EDT, which is any second now, to address the President's comments made an hour or so ago. In the address by President Obama, he stated that he wanted the 4 leaders of Congess in the White House tomorrow morning and he stated that he wants them to explain to him about why we do not have an agreement.

    Uh, Mr. President, you can invite the leaders, but you cannot demand. You really need to learn that Congress is a co-equal branch of government to the Executive. They do not work for you.
    LOL. The one term Marxist president Obama believes he is already the dictator of the United States. I think they should demand that he appear before Congress to explain why he is such a loser.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Still No Budget Deal - Current Happenings

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Boehner never intended to agree to anything. His entire purpose is to hold the country ransom so he and his friends can keep getting their tax breaks.
    Whatever his motive let us hope he does not cave. But if he does he will no longer be the Speaker.

    I hope he quietly tells the one term Marxist president Obama to take his tax hikes and shove them right up his, well, you know.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •