Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 415

Thread: Explosions In Norway

  1. #301
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    You people amaze me. Trying to say this guy is "right wing" or "Christian" is simply stupid. Whether left or right, once a person steps this deep into extremism, they are an extremist, nothing less, nothing more.

    I have seen some even say this killer has no mental issues. Let's run a simple test. People who are not ****ed up in the head don't kill nearly a hundred people. Is it an excuse for what he did? Of course not.

    I see the police being criticized as well. The country has 40 murders a year. I doubt they have mass murders annually. I also doubt that the entire police force is involved in those 40 murders. The police more than likely had no idea of what to do or how to start doing it.

    Seriously people, this is a tragedy brought on by what looks to be a single deranged man. Sure, in the mind of the murderer this was politically motivated, but those of us who are a tad more sane need not grab that morsel and start using it to bash each over the head with ideology, lest we do end up that insane.
    I get your point, but I don't buy the whole "they must be deranged or crazy". Most of the times, these people are very rational. The problem is that they are sociopaths, lacking empathy and compassion. That condition is, IMO, far more common than most people realize

    We have people who made millions while destroying the economy, which threw millions out of work and into poverty. Some have lost their lives and many have even lost their lives. Thousands die every year from lack of health care, and a huge segment of the population is just fine with that.

    The "mental issue" this man has is not uncommon; He merely took it to the extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    We have people who made millions while destroying the economy, which threw millions out of work and into poverty.
    And then were rewarded by the government with even more money. Maybe Norway can give this guy a medal.

  3. #303
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    And then were rewarded by the government with even more money. Maybe Norway can give this guy a medal.
    Exactly!! We have a society that rewards sociopathy. The only mistake this guy made was using violence instead of finance.

    And for those who are going to jump to conclusions, and accuse me of justifying what this guy did, I have one response:

    It's wrong to use any means, violent or not, to kill people
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #304
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I get your point, but I don't buy the whole "they must be deranged or crazy". Most of the times, these people are very rational. The problem is that they are sociopaths, lacking empathy and compassion. That condition is, IMO, far more common than most people realize

    We have people who made millions while destroying the economy, which threw millions out of work and into poverty. Some have lost their lives and many have even lost their lives. Thousands die every year from lack of health care, and a huge segment of the population is just fine with that.

    The "mental issue" this man has is not uncommon; He merely took it to the extreme.
    A man was driving and suddenly the right front wheel fell off. The driver retrieved the wheel and as he was trying to figure out what to do he noticed a fence, with a sign proclaiming the place was for those with mental issues.

    A man on the other side of the fence walked up to the driver and told the driver that if it was him, he would remove one lug nut from the other three wheels, put the offending wheel back on, and get to a place to buy more lug nuts.

    The driver was impressed and tole the patient that the idea was brilliant and then asked since he was so smart why was he in that place.

    The patient replied, "Hell Mister, I'm just crazy, I'm not stupid."

  5. #305
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    A man was driving and suddenly the right front wheel fell off. The driver retrieved the wheel and as he was trying to figure out what to do he noticed a fence, with a sign proclaiming the place was for those with mental issues.

    A man on the other side of the fence walked up to the driver and told the driver that if it was him, he would remove one lug nut from the other three wheels, put the offending wheel back on, and get to a place to buy more lug nuts.

    The driver was impressed and tole the patient that the idea was brilliant and then asked since he was so smart why was he in that place.

    The patient replied, "Hell Mister, I'm just crazy, I'm not stupid."
    Knowing what to do in that situation does not mean the man inside the fence is not psychotic. He may be hearing voices, etc. Even psychotics can be rational about most things. So far, there is no evidence of psychosis in this mad bomber; just violent sociopathy

    I think we're arguing past each other a bit, due to your use of the words "deranged" and "crazy" which are poorly defined words commonly used to describe people who's thinking is much different (and scarier) than ours. I prefer terms like "mentally ill", "emotionally disordered", "sociopath", "psychotic" etc which are more clearly defined.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #306
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Knowing what to do in that situation does not mean the man inside the fence is not psychotic. He may be hearing voices, etc. Even psychotics can be rational about most things. So far, there is no evidence of psychosis in this mad bomber; just violent sociopathy

    I think we're arguing past each other a bit, due to your use of the words "deranged" and "crazy" which are poorly defined words commonly used to describe people who's thinking is much different (and scarier) than ours. I prefer terms like "mentally ill", "emotionally disordered", "sociopath", "psychotic" etc which are more clearly defined.
    You will discover that I tend to avoid arguing semantics because it detracts from the conversation. The actions taken by this man are clearly outside the norm and solidly in the realm of extremism. Whether or not the man had drool running down his chin , he has a head full of bad wiring, or he would not have taken it to such extremes.

    Having said that, I do not feel it is a valid defense tactic.

  7. #307
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    You will discover that I tend to avoid arguing semantics because it detracts from the conversation. The actions taken by this man are clearly outside the norm and solidly in the realm of extremism. Whether or not the man had drool running down his chin , he has a head full of bad wiring, or he would not have taken it to such extremes.

    Having said that, I do not feel it is a valid defense tactic.
    I understand. Clearly, there is something wrong with this man, and it is profoundly wrong (and I think this is your main point). He is missing that which most of us consider necessary to be human. It's just that, having known people who have struggled with mental illnesses, I take issue when people like this monster are lumped in with those I've known who, statistically, are far less likely to engage in violent behavior. The mentally ill have enough to deal with without adding to the stigma that comes with mental illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #308
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    He is a terrorist and calling him anything else than that is disrespectful to his victims and their families.
    PeteEU

  9. #309
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    He is a terrorist and calling him anything else than that is disrespectful to his victims and their families.
    At this point, I agree. He has performed terrorist acts against innocent people who were not engaged in any action threatening or damaging to him. He may be mentally ill, he may have a serious personality disorder, or he may be a rational extremist... or perhaps a combination of those things. Or perhaps something else entirely. Thus far I haven't read any conclusions drawn by those who have examined or interrogated him, so neither I, nor anyone on this forum can be bandying about psychiatric or psychological analyses of him with any accuracy. All we do know is what he did, in the barest outlines. Why don't we leave the speculation as to whether he's more akin to Ted Kaczinsky, Timothy McVeigh or Mohammed Atta until some people who have analysed the guy have drawn some conclusions.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    It's crazy that he was able to walk around the island for 90 minutes shooting people.

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •