Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 415

Thread: Explosions In Norway

  1. #291
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Norway police arrive 90 minutes after firing began - Yahoo! News

    Can't say much for the Norwegian Police. Looks like it took them over an hour to finish jerking off before they could get over there.
    1) Norwegian police do not carry firearms.
    2) Firearms police had to be sent from Oslo
    3) It takes 1 hour approx to drive from Oslo to said Island. (yes why did they not fly... now that is a legit question)
    4) A huge bomb had just gone off in Oslo so the police, especially the anti-terror-armed police can be excused for being a tad busy.

    but yes, why did they not fly... that is a good question.
    PeteEU

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    1) Norwegian police do not carry firearms.
    2) Firearms police had to be sent from Oslo
    3) It takes 1 hour approx to drive from Oslo to said Island. (yes why did they not fly... now that is a legit question)
    4) A huge bomb had just gone off in Oslo so the police, especially the anti-terror-armed police can be excused for being a tad busy.

    but yes, why did they not fly... that is a good question.
    It took them less than 30 minutes to drive from Oslo. The reason they were so slow were badly planning. They had to wait for the boat for 15 minutes, and they waited 10 minutes before they did anything.

    The police force in Buskerud should have some weapons, and they should have sent police force over to the island immediately. Not wait for the taskforce from Oslo.

  3. #293
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    It took them less than 30 minutes to drive from Oslo. The reason they were so slow were badly planning. They had to wait for the boat for 15 minutes, and they waited 10 minutes before they did anything.

    The police force in Buskerud should have some weapons, and they should have sent police force over to the island immediately. Not wait for the taskforce from Oslo.
    Listen.. Norway is not the US or Australia. There has been one serial killer in the countries history and there are 40ish murders a year. This is a very non-violent country and hence the police are not armed because there is usually no reason. You might find that odd, but I do not knowing the Norwegian people. The British police are also not armed btw, as are other police forces around the world.

    Does the special police force have questions to answer? You betcha, they should have gotten there faster in my opinion, but you have to take everything into context... Oslo had just been hit by a massive bomb and everyone in the media (and on these boards) was screaming Al Q and Islamists and not a tall blond Norwegian dressed in a police uniform. For all they knew, it could be a hoax and in fact the first reports were very minimalistic. It was only at least 30min if not more into the rampage before the first reports of deaths and gun man.. before that it was "a possible gunman" on the island and so on.
    PeteEU

  4. #294
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,858

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Listen.. Norway is not the US or Australia. There has been one serial killer in the countries history and there are 40ish murders a year. This is a very non-violent country and hence the police are not armed because there is usually no reason. You might find that odd, but I do not knowing the Norwegian people. The British police are also not armed btw, as are other police forces around the world.

    Does the special police force have questions to answer? You betcha, they should have gotten there faster in my opinion, but you have to take everything into context... Oslo had just been hit by a massive bomb and everyone in the media (and on these boards) was screaming Al Q and Islamists and not a tall blond Norwegian dressed in a police uniform. For all they knew, it could be a hoax and in fact the first reports were very minimalistic. It was only at least 30min if not more into the rampage before the first reports of deaths and gun man.. before that it was "a possible gunman" on the island and so on.
    Its a worst case scenario they couldn't even imagine. Now they know. It can happen, and crazy people exist anywhere.

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Listen.. Norway is not the US or Australia. There has been one serial killer in the countries history and there are 40ish murders a year. This is a very non-violent country and hence the police are not armed because there is usually no reason. You might find that odd, but I do not knowing the Norwegian people. The British police are also not armed btw, as are other police forces around the world.
    The problem is not that they are not armed. New Zealand police isn't armed either. However, New Zealand police always have easy access to guns. Every single police car have guns. Norway need to do the same and as a Norwegian, I think most Norwegians agree. Norway is not a safe-heaven and this incident show that Norwegian police needs more resources and easy access to guns.

    It's more about attitude than crime rate. Singapore is safer than Norway, but they have guns on them. Britain is not safe at all, but they don't have guns.

    Does the special police force have questions to answer? You betcha, they should have gotten there faster in my opinion, but you have to take everything into context... Oslo had just been hit by a massive bomb and everyone in the media (and on these boards) was screaming Al Q and Islamists and not a tall blond Norwegian dressed in a police uniform. For all they knew, it could be a hoax and in fact the first reports were very minimalistic. It was only at least 30min if not more into the rampage before the first reports of deaths and gun man.. before that it was "a possible gunman" on the island and so on.
    They didn't wait 10 minutes or so, they waited 40 minutes before they asked Oslo for help. Then after that they used 50 minutes to get to the island. That's not okay! Buskerud police should have had access to weapons and they shouldn't have waited for the taskforce. The taskforce shouldn't have to wait for a boat. Also they should have access to helicopter.

    I think after the initial shock, people will start criticizing the police. We need to get away from the thought that weak policing means low crime. Norwegian police needs more resources and better preparation.
    Last edited by Camlon; 07-24-11 at 10:33 AM.

  6. #296
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    You people amaze me. Trying to say this guy is "right wing" or "Christian" is simply stupid. Whether left or right, once a person steps this deep into extremism, they are an extremist, nothing less, nothing more.

    I have seen some even say this killer has no mental issues. Let's run a simple test. People who are not ****ed up in the head don't kill nearly a hundred people. Is it an excuse for what he did? Of course not.

    I see the police being criticized as well. The country has 40 murders a year. I doubt they have mass murders annually. I also doubt that the entire police force is involved in those 40 murders. The police more than likely had no idea of what to do or how to start doing it.

    Seriously people, this is a tragedy brought on by what looks to be a single deranged man. Sure, in the mind of the murderer this was politically motivated, but those of us who are a tad more sane need not grab that morsel and start using it to bash each over the head with ideology, lest we do end up that insane.

  7. #297
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    You people amaze me. Trying to say this guy is "right wing" or "Christian" is simply stupid. Whether left or right, once a person steps this deep into extremism, they are an extremist, nothing less, nothing more.

    I have seen some even say this killer has no mental issues. Let's run a simple test. People who are not ****ed up in the head don't kill nearly a hundred people. Is it an excuse for what he did? Of course not.

    I see the police being criticized as well. The country has 40 murders a year. I doubt they have mass murders annually. I also doubt that the entire police force is involved in those 40 murders. The police more than likely had no idea of what to do or how to start doing it.

    Seriously people, this is a tragedy brought on by what looks to be a single deranged man. Sure, in the mind of the murderer this was politically motivated, but those of us who are a tad more sane need not grab that morsel and start using it to bash each over the head with ideology, lest we do end up that insane.

    I totally agree with you. Some people on here, it seems, are trying to turn this into a left vs right hatefest, which is the very thing that it shouldn't be. The only reason that I bought up the fact that he was right-wing was because so many people in the beginning of this (from the media to President Obama) were trying to make it seems as if AQ or in general some Islamic group had done it.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  8. #298
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    I totally agree with you. Some people on here, it seems, are trying to turn this into a left vs right hatefest, which is the very thing that it shouldn't be. The only reason that I bought up the fact that he was right-wing was because so many people in the beginning of this (from the media to President Obama) were trying to make it seems as if AQ or in general some Islamic group had done it.
    The man was motivated by radical right wing policies against the left wing party of Norway, so of course it will be a left vs right thing.. gezz.
    PeteEU

  9. #299
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    The problem is not that they are not armed. New Zealand police isn't armed either. However, New Zealand police always have easy access to guns. Every single police car have guns. Norway need to do the same and as a Norwegian, I think most Norwegians agree. Norway is not a safe-heaven and this incident show that Norwegian police needs more resources and easy access to guns.

    It's more about attitude than crime rate. Singapore is safer than Norway, but they have guns on them. Britain is not safe at all, but they don't have guns.


    They didn't wait 10 minutes or so, they waited 40 minutes before they asked Oslo for help. Then after that they used 50 minutes to get to the island. That's not okay! Buskerud police should have had access to weapons and they shouldn't have waited for the taskforce. The taskforce shouldn't have to wait for a boat. Also they should have access to helicopter.

    I think after the initial shock, people will start criticizing the police. We need to get away from the thought that weak policing means low crime. Norwegian police needs more resources and better preparation.
    The police are holding a press conference as I write this. A few things...

    1) they did not wait as you claim.. in fact your whole time line is wrong.
    2) From the first reports till he was arrested it took under an hour, this includes travel time for the special forces.
    3) The police dont have transportation helicopters to transport the special forces... only the military has such helicopters.

    Only thing I have not heard was about the local police, but the audio cut out
    PeteEU

  10. #300
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The man was motivated by radical right wing policies against the left wing party of Norway, so of course it will be a left vs right thing.. gezz.
    Bull****. Extremism is just extremism.

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •