Information that we now know about this terrorist.
1) He is a white man, native Norwegian.
2) He calls himself a Christian, and from his writings we can throw him on the radical evangelical side of Christianity. He wants to go "back to basics" on the religious front.
3) He calls himself a cultural conservative. This is based on his online writings. His views on many things are on the far right of European politics. He use to be a member of the mainstream far right Fremskridtspartiet in Norway but left them after disagreements with the party line. He is against the UN, multiculturalism, Muslims, immigration and the left and basically anyone he does not agree with. He blames the political correct parties (including Fremskridtspartiet) for the degeneration of Norwegian society.
4) He is a nationalist big time.
5) He has been planning this for 3+ years.
6) He did make the bombs involved, according to the manifesto released online by him, on the day of the attacks. He claims the manifesto is his according to his lawyer.
LiveLeak.com - Oslo Terrorist Anders Behring Breivik Manifesto
The above link has links to the manifesto, plus a video he released to his Facebook friends and friend of friends on the day of the attack.
7) The manifesto is a very detailed of the last 85 days of preparations.
8) He owns a farm and hence can/could get access to the material used in the bomb.
9) The police did not know anything about this, since his online persona, while far right wing, does not come with threats or any wacko ideas that would have triggered red flags.
Things we dont know yet.
1) Another attacker.. chances are getting small but there is still a chance there was others.
2) Contacts to radical right wing groups in Europe and the US. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but there are some hints of him being in contact to groups in the two areas.. groups that share his political views.
But one thing that is getting much clearer... he is going for the "crazy" card when it comes to his judicial case but regardless of this.. he is and always will be a terrorist.
The tragedy is not that things are broken. The tragedy is that things are not mended again. - Alan Paton
Bach is the beginning and end of all music - Max Reger
It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us - Rorschach
For those that want to show solidarity with the victims there is a facebook page event you can sign up on.
As far as 'right wing atrocities', an examination of the historical record might just point out that left wing governments top the list of ideologies who kill its own citizens, along with others. Stalin, Pol Pot, that midget in Korea, Mao, several African dictators, etc. Maybe someone can start a thread and list the death tolls for left wing terrorism? I'm sure it would be enlightening.
At what point did history become ethics? Why should we subvert the elusive search for facts to moralist concerns? If you want to be a preacher, go preach. If you want to save the world, go into politics. If you want to invent a world free of evil, take Prozac. -Dave Williams, George Mason Univ.
Listen yes Stalin, Pol Pot, and so on are a stain on the "left wing" of world politics.. they were/are also self centred egotistical brutal dictators. Pinchoet, the Junta in Argentina and others, also are mass murdering dictatorships, but are of the right wing kind. And that is just the 20th century. If we go back in history 4000+ years every mass murder, genocide and what not.. was on the right wing of politics and often driven by religious fanatism and egocentric royalty dictatorships. And lets not forget that even in our own times, right wing policies drove places like Aparthied South Africa, and meant that countries run by right wing governments refused to put sanctions up against South Africa.. you know Reagan and Thatcher... Or right wing governments that sold drugs, guns to terrorists, or supported other right wing dictators with death squads.
But go ahead and agree with this mass murdering radical Christian terrorist in Norway... we have freedom of opinion, but expect to be called on it at every turn for what it is... selective partisan history.
Last edited by PeteEU; 07-24-11 at 06:15 AM.
Norway police arrive 90 minutes after firing began - Yahoo! News
Can't say much for the Norwegian Police. Looks like it took them over an hour to finish jerking off before they could get over there.
"He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)