Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 415

Thread: Explosions In Norway

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Or maybe he's just mentally ill, and whatever his self-descriptions re politics and religion doesn't amount to anything meaningful at all.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Anders Behring Breivik Identified As Suspect In Norway Shooting

    This is the most recent info I have viewed. He self-identified as Christian, conservative, and nationalist. He is connected to the Oslo bombings.

    Norway is in my prayers right now. The details of the events are intense... especially how he gunned down children at a camp.

    All things aside, this was obviously a very disturbed individual. I can only speak for myself, but the gravity of this transcends mere politics.

  3. #183
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Or maybe he's just mentally ill, and whatever his self-descriptions re politics and religion doesn't amount to anything meaningful at all.
    Of course he is mentally ill on some level.. he murdered 94+ people, but all terrorists are mentally ill on some level when they think killing innocent people can be at all justified. But that does not change the fact of his motives and what drove him to it..... when that information comes out and is confirmed of course.

    It is also now being reported (unconfirmed) on Sky News that he did have links to right wing extremists groups.
    PeteEU

  4. #184
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Of course he is mentally ill on some level.. he murdered 94+ people, but all terrorists are mentally ill on some level when they think killing innocent people can be at all justified. But that does not change the fact of his motives and what drove him to it..... when that information comes out and is confirmed of course.

    It is also now being reported (unconfirmed) on Sky News that he did have links to right wing extremists groups.
    This is probably one of the deadliest shooting sprees in history...

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    But that does not change the fact of his motives and what drove him to it.
    If he were mentally ill, then his mental illness is what drove him to it, not religion or politics. Left wing nuts also shoot people and plant bombs.

  6. #186
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    If he were mentally ill, then his mental illness is what drove him to it, not religion or politics. Left wing nuts also shoot people and plant bombs.
    I disagree. A mental ill person has some sort of twisted motive when they go off the rail.. it might be aliens implanting probes or it might be extreme right wing /left wing political views that said person wants to act out....
    PeteEU

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I disagree.
    That's fine.

    A mental ill person has some sort of twisted motive when they go off the rail.. it might be aliens implanting probes or it might be extreme right wing /left wing political views that said person wants to act out....
    Well, it's a chicken or egg type of issue in that context. I think the mental illness comes first in these cases, and leads to the attractiveness of extremism for these people.

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I disagree. A mental ill person has some sort of twisted motive when they go off the rail.. it might be aliens implanting probes or it might be extreme right wing /left wing political views that said person wants to act out....
    I think he is disturbed, but I would not call him mentally ill. He had a very logical reason behind what he did and although I vehemently disagree with him, he demonstrated a structured understanding. He was even quoting philosophers on Twitter.

    Call him insane is trying to bring conveniently explanations to something that maybe most of us just don't full understand.

    In any case... he is obviously a danger to society and needs to be put away.

  9. #189
    Anti Fascist Alt L Ctrl C
    William Rea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,498

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Anders Behring Breivik Identified As Suspect In Norway Shooting

    This is the most recent info I have viewed. He self-identified as Christian, conservative, and nationalist. He is connected to the Oslo bombings.

    Norway is in my prayers right now. The details of the events are intense... especially how he gunned down children at a camp.

    All things aside, this was obviously a very disturbed individual. I can only speak for myself, but the gravity of this transcends mere politics.
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment that it is horrific that these kids were killed I'm afraid that the gravity does not transcend politics. The dead cannot be helped now, their friends and families will be helped by the appropriate government agencies, their friends and families and the sense of unity from the grief that will grip Norway in the coming months.

    What concerns me is that once again people will distance themselves from the actions of this man in order to dissociate themselves from his apparently "psychotic" actions. He is not different from us, there are and were similar people all over the World who have carried out mass murders in the name of whatever social/political nirvana they have been brainwashed into believing. These people would have been perfectly ordinary until they became "inhuman"; child soldiers in Africa, Yugoslavia during the civil war, South American "Death Squads" and on, and on.

  10. #190
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Explosions In Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    I think he is disturbed, but I would not call him mentally ill. He had a very logical reason behind what he did and although I vehemently disagree with him, he demonstrated a structured understanding. He was even quoting philosophers on Twitter.

    Call him insane is trying to bring conveniently explanations to something that maybe most of us just don't full understand.

    In any case... he is obviously a danger to society and needs to be put away.
    Calling him insane is a convenient label that especially the right uses to describe one of their own doing terror. It is nothing but an excuse. Look at the guy who shot the congresswoman... he was clearly an anti-government nut, which is a right wing policy, and yet the right have managed to label him as a lone crazy man... and I have no doubt that they will try (as we have already seen in this thread) to blame others or say he is a lone crazy while not bringing attention to the very real fact that his targets were political motivated and that his online profiles and what we know, clearly (so far) show a right wing Christian fundamentalist nationalist. The fact that he targeted the seat of government first and then went after a left wing children's retreat, clearly shows a political motive.

    We should not hide the facts, regardless if it is a left wing, right wing, Islamic or martian doing the damage. It does nothing to route out the fanatics among us on both sides and that is something we must do.
    Last edited by PeteEU; 07-23-11 at 06:06 AM.
    PeteEU

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •