Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 181

Thread: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

  1. #81
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by lovetosing4678 View Post
    I talked to my gyno about the depo shot and she said the MAJORIY of women who get the shot have negative side effects from it. There is also an implant of some sort (not Mirena) another option but once again bad side effects. My nuvaring costs $50 a month and I pay it because I am too forgetful to take a pill everyday. I don't think offering "free" birth control would cost very much. You could do it on need basis if necessary. Either way, just give them the cheapest pill around which is probably $15 without insurance.
    If it's already that cheap, then why aren't these people buying it?
    How successful can this be, knowing that it's already cheap and some people aren't using it?


    Quote Originally Posted by lovetosing4678 View Post
    So assuming the lower cost, you can give 400 women birth control pills(6,000/15) and if it stops one pregnancy it is paid off. That is just the cost of the delivery, not the doctors visits and pre natal care.
    Based on assumption that it actually stops one unwanted pregnancy, which may not be the case at all.
    On the other hand, a lot of women, who already purchased BC, will now get it subsidized without having a premium increase.
    At the same time men do not get it but have to pay the same premium.

    It's gender discriminatory.
    It's a cheap political ploy because women use more medical services than men and are typically more likely to respond to things like this positively, regardless of party affiliation.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #82
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If it's already that cheap, then why aren't these people buying it?
    How successful can this be, knowing that it's already cheap and some people aren't using it?




    Based on assumption that it actually stops one unwanted pregnancy, which may not be the case at all.
    On the other hand, a lot of women, who already purchased BC, will now get it subsidized without having a premium increase.
    At the same time men do not get it but have to pay the same premium.

    It's gender discriminatory.
    It's a cheap political ploy because women use more medical services than men and are typically more likely to respond to things like this positively, regardless of party affiliation.
    Men have less responsibility than women to prevent pregnancies. So yeah, we respond positively.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #83
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    07-15-12 @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If it's already that cheap, then why aren't these people buying it?
    How successful can this be, knowing that it's already cheap and some people aren't using it?




    Based on assumption that it actually stops one unwanted pregnancy, which may not be the case at all.
    On the other hand, a lot of women, who already purchased BC, will now get it subsidized without having a premium increase.
    At the same time men do not get it but have to pay the same premium.

    It's gender discriminatory.
    It's a cheap political ploy because women use more medical services than men and are typically more likely to respond to things like this positively, regardless of party affiliation.
    Because $15 dollars above the absolutely necessary can just not be in the budget. Or they are not aware of these cheap options. There are several reasons they may not be able to do it.

    How could giving 400 women birth control not stop ONE pregnancy? That is just probability. It will even out.

    My thought on this is that premiums could go DOWN if less women get pregnant. Therefore your two points about that are irrelevant. I think anyone with a brain and the use of some logic would respond positively to this. I would continue to pay my $50 for my birth control because I am not willing to go to a daily pill. Many women may chose to stay on their preferred pill and therefore would not be contributing to the initial increase of cost. Offer one or two pills that have low side effects and give those to women who need it and cannot afford it. I really do not see a down side and your only point was, it may not stop unwanted pregnancy. PURE statistics man!

  4. #84
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Men have less responsibility than women to prevent pregnancies. So yeah, we respond positively.
    That's not true.
    Men can prevent pregnancy by using condoms, plus other treatments.

    It's a political trick, this is an election season.
    Just like when they expanded SCHIP, to people that make up to $80k a year.
    Females, regardless of party affiliation approved, even though people who make $80k a year can afford insurance for their children.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #85
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by lovetosing4678 View Post
    Because $15 dollars above the absolutely necessary can just not be in the budget. Or they are not aware of these cheap options. There are several reasons they may not be able to do it.

    How could giving 400 women birth control not stop ONE pregnancy? That is just probability. It will even out.

    My thought on this is that premiums could go DOWN if less women get pregnant. Therefore your two points about that are irrelevant. I think anyone with a brain and the use of some logic would respond positively to this. I would continue to pay my $50 for my birth control because I am not willing to go to a daily pill. Many women may chose to stay on their preferred pill and therefore would not be contributing to the initial increase of cost. Offer one or two pills that have low side effects and give those to women who need it and cannot afford it. I really do not see a down side and your only point was, it may not stop unwanted pregnancy. PURE statistics man!
    Logic says that they may not necessarily use the BC, even if it's free.
    There is no further information to say that they will.

    It's a logical fallacy to say otherwise.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #86
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's not true.
    Men can prevent pregnancy by using condoms, plus other treatments.

    It's a political trick, this is an election season.
    Just like when they expanded SCHIP, to people that make up to $80k a year.
    Females, regardless of party affiliation approved, even though people who make $80k a year can afford insurance for their children.
    In the overwhelming, vast majority of relationships women are left with the hassle and necessity of using birth control, not the men. People who use condoms are usually the ones sleeping around, and those people are buying protection against STDs as well as unwanted pregnancies.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #87
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    In the overwhelming, vast majority of relationships women are left with the hassle and necessity of using birth control, not the men. People who use condoms are usually the ones sleeping around, and those people are buying protection against STDs as well as unwanted pregnancies.
    I'll give you the former, however, should we encourage it or should we get more men into being responsible for pregnancy and STD prevention?

    I guess we'll disagree on this.
    I think it is nothing but a bait for females during an election season.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #88
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'll give you the former, however, should we encourage it or should we get more men into being responsible for pregnancy and STD prevention?

    I guess we'll disagree on this.
    I think it is nothing but a bait for females during an election season.
    Both. As a female, I can attest that birth control is a huge burden to many women. Some women find an effective, convenient birth control, and others can't for medical reasons. Even the women that do find decent birth control are still at risk for medical complications such as a higher risk of heart attacks, clots, cancer, severe weight gain, mood changes, etc. Most men just assume that the woman is ultimately responsible for preventing pregnancies. Then many of those same people refuse to give women the freedom to decide to end the pregnancy because of moral agendas.

    There does need to be more birth control methods aimed at men, as well as free birth control, even long term birth control, for women. The only other way of reducing unwanted births is forced sterilization. That would be a disaster.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #89
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'll give you the former, however, should we encourage it or should we get more men into being responsible for pregnancy and STD prevention?

    I guess we'll disagree on this.
    I think it is nothing but a bait for females during an election season.
    Well holy **** - we're not THAT ****ing stupid. I have faith that the majority of women actually seriously consider their political support, views and candidates based on facts, information, reality and a bit of logic and even some common sense.

    The subjects of birth control, abortion and other such things don't equate AT ALL in my choosing of candidates - and so on. . . I'm not that trim and stingy with my thought processes.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #90
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Well holy **** - we're not THAT ****ing stupid. I have faith that the majority of women actually seriously consider their political support, views and candidates based on facts, information, reality and a bit of logic and even some common sense.
    I did not say all women or any women were stupid.
    Don't put words into my mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    The subjects of birth control, abortion and other such things don't equate AT ALL in my choosing of candidates - and so on. . . I'm not that trim and stingy with my thought processes.
    That's a good thing.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •