Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 181

Thread: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

  1. #171
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Very true.
    I tend to go by the actions thing though.
    Of course there are always exceptions.
    So do I, in general.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I disagree that lowering the birth rate is a good thing.
    We're barely at replacement level as it is, provided by immigration more so than natives.
    That can only last so long.
    When cheap labor is no longer needed, you're probably right. I hope that didn't sound bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It will cause further problems in reforming our systems of social payments.



    Definitely.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    They fail at that rate when you misuse them. Don't take your pill and that's going to fail also.
    Misuse will happen. Such is life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Not sure what condoms you're referring to but condoms in the U.S. have a < 2% failure rate.



    NSFW LINK
    Condom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I guess it depends on what source you're using.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  2. #172
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    If condoms had a 15% failure rate, no one (or very few people) would use them.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #173
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    ANd then you used the exact same method. You're a quick one...
    ... using the same method was meant to demonstrate that to you. Apparently you still haven't gathered that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Then how, in any way possible, will this reduce pregnancies and abortion?
    ... because there's this range of potential outcomes in between 0% and 100%?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    ... because there's this range of potential outcomes in between 0% and 100%?
    Based on the assumption that women with insurance, cannot afford birth control.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #175
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    ... using the same method was meant to demonstrate that to you. Apparently you still haven't gathered that.
    No I got it. What you didn't get is that "immitation is the highest form of flattery", so I'm very flattered Deuce. Very flattered indeed.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Based on the assumption that women with insurance, cannot afford birth control.
    Based on the assumption that if it's free, more people will use it, which has been demonstrated in the past to be true.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Based on the assumption that if it's free, more people will use it, which has been demonstrated in the past to be true.
    The only evidence I've seen thus far is that longer prescriptions for birth control reduce unplanned pregnancies.

    Remember, this policy is for women with insurance.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #178
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    I've done a good bit of digging to show the point I'm trying to make.
    Will include all links at the end.

    Remember now, this policy is directed towards women, who already have insurance.
    If the statistical representation of Hawaiian unplanned pregnancies is similar to the rest of the nation, women with insurance are the least likely to have an unplanned pregnancy, out of all groups of women.

    The most likely were women on Medicaid/state insurance program, with uninsured being the next likely.
    Also included, that of all pregnancies, both intended and unintended, only 14% were unwanted.
    So the majority of the pregnancies cost, will be incurred anyway, at some time.

    Next up is cost being a factor for not using birth control.
    The Guttmacher institute highlighted that cost and access was only a problem for 12% of all women surveyed, that includes women who were insured and not insured.
    The majority of unintended pregnancies, were women who were already using birth control and used it incorrectly (including men who improperly used condoms.)

    Basically the only thing that I'm seeing that could have any real cost reduction for unintended pregnancies, is if women start to switch to longer term birth control methods, like the IUD, Depo Provara, etc.
    The cost of those, is greater than your standard birth control pill or box of condoms.

    If you include the now subsidized cost of women who use birth control correctly with this, most of those savings could evaporate and potentially increase total costs.
    Especially if you include the fact that OBG's, drug makers, etc can now increase billing charges to insurance companies because they would have to cover it.

    http://www.hi5deposit.com/health/fam...endedpregnancy

    Contraceptive Use Among U.S. Women Having Abortions in 2000-2001
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #179
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    I agree that long term birth control is the best option. As I said earlier, perhaps monetary incentives could be offered to woman who agree to get a tubal. A tubal is very expensive, and is already covered 100% by medicaid, but women who have insurance will still have a deductible and a co pay which adds up fast. I expect to pay a couple of hundred after my insurance kicks in.
    Just like everything else in life, people need incentives to act. Providing incentives such as free birth control or even offering money for permanent sterilization could save money in the future. The up front costs would be high, but the future benefits of not having as many children on welfare would likely outweigh those costs.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #180
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The whole issue here is "abortion, abortion, abortion". Nevermind that the intension behind the Institute's recommendation is to provide birth control to women who want it but can't afford it. If it were just a matter of distributing condoms, spermasidal gels (too messy), diaphrams (who uses those anymore?) or the pill, most people wouldn't have a problem with this. But because of the prospect of some female being issued the morning after pill - instant abortion - this is what has folks so up in arms about. Keep in mind that the woman may not even know if she's pregnant at all; she's merely taking the MAP as a precaution against unwanted pregnancy.

    To me, it's not a moral question, but a matter of personal responsibility. Which would you rather have: Women going around aborting fetises whether at a legitimate clinic or at some illegal back alley office space by some pretend "wanna-be OB/GYN"? - Or - women being responsible using birth control responsibily?

    You choose!

    You can't defund the single, most commonly used resource many women use to obtain their contraceptives then go around claiming, "the government's paying for abortions! the government's paying for abortions," when a leading institution suggests that private insurance companies should provide same to women for free. It's a recommendation, not an amendment to the law nor an executive order.
    Well, looks like the Obama Administration has acted on the Institute's recommendation. And as I figured, the opposition to this measure was the morning after pill.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •