Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 181

Thread: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

  1. #161
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,767

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Wait.. you just proved yourself to be a conservative Deuce since you just proved your earlier sentence of "take anything said to absurd degrees and attack that instead of making a real argument". Way to own yourself there dude.
    I was attempting to demonstrate to you how terribly inaccurate your argument was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's assuming that all those people with insurance, wanted BC but couldn't afford it.
    That is a leap of logic.

    The answer is that, you don't value the use of birth control enough to actually pay for it or you would have already.
    No, it does not assume that at all.
    Last edited by Deuce; 07-23-11 at 08:39 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #162
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    07-15-12 @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Once again, Harry, would you be in favor of distributing birth control free of charge only to women who cannot afford it but it would be paid for with tax payers dollars?

    Also, I figure I would post the actual report written by the institute of medicine.

    http://iom.edu/~/media/Files/Report%...rt%20Brief.pdf

    It is short, everyone should be able to read it easily.

    Recommendation 5.5: The full range of Food and Drug Administration-approved contraceptive methods, sterilization procedures, and patient education and counseling for all women with reproductive capacity
    It will be interesting what they decide this actually means. It doesn't actually say we should provide it free to everyone. It just says everyone should have it.

  3. #163
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I was attempting to demonstrate to you how terribly inaccurate your argument was.
    ANd then you used the exact same method. You're a quick one...
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #164
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, it does not assume that at all.
    Then how, in any way possible, will this reduce pregnancies and abortion?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #165
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'd say some women do and some don't.
    One of those "actions speak louder than words" thing.
    The problem is, there's no way to make a value judgment on which women tried hard enough.



    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I understand that completely.
    That's why I'm arguing that, making birth control free, won't necessary cause less pregnancies and abortions.
    I think it's nearly guaranteed to bring unwanted pregnancies down- if the program provided the birth control that worked best instead of the cheapest options. I've known people to get condoms from the health department, and not use them because they were cheap and ineffective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm of the first and I believe that having some amount of "pain" is required in order for people to truly learn.
    It's a necessary part of positive human evolution and personal growth.

    That may sound uncaring or inhuman but the world requires negative things, in order for improvements to happen.
    I agree. Pain gets people's attention.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I think it's nearly guaranteed to bring unwanted pregnancies down- if the program provided the birth control that worked best instead of the cheapest options. I've known people to get condoms from the health department, and not use them because they were cheap and ineffective.
    They are 98-99% effective.

  7. #167
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    They are 98-99% effective.
    condoms have a 15% fail rate. Besides, quality does matter.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  8. #168
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    The problem is, there's no way to make a value judgment on which women tried hard enough.
    Very true.
    I tend to go by the actions thing though.
    Of course there are always exceptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I think it's nearly guaranteed to bring unwanted pregnancies down- if the program provided the birth control that worked best instead of the cheapest options. I've known people to get condoms from the health department, and not use them because they were cheap and ineffective.
    I disagree that lowering the birth rate is a good thing.
    We're barely at replacement level as it is, provided by immigration more so than natives.
    That can only last so long.

    It will cause further problems in reforming our systems of social payments.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I agree. Pain gets people's attention.
    Definitely.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    condoms have a 15% fail rate. Besides, quality does matter.
    They fail at that rate when you misuse them. Don't take your pill and that's going to fail also.

  10. #170
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Contraceptive Recommendation Creates New Controversy for Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    condoms have a 15% fail rate. Besides, quality does matter.


    Not sure what condoms you're referring to but condoms in the U.S. have a < 2% failure rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    The rate of breakage is between 0.4% and 2.3%, while the rate of slippage is between 0.6% and 1.3%.[53] Even if no breakage or slippage is observed, 1–2% of women will test positive for semen residue after intercourse with a condom.
    NSFW LINK
    Condom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •