Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 187

Thread: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    So? What is your point? He's a politician. He's going to promise all types of things, just like the GOP candidate will. That doesn't mean that the GOP candidate will be any more likely to get what they are promising through or even work to get everything they promise through. Anyone who believes what a politician says alone, is pretty ignorant. You should go on what a politician does.

    Obama and the DOJ have fought against the gays. Obama lied to get votes and now he is doing it again

  2. #32
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Obama and the DOJ have fought against the gays. Obama lied to get votes and now he is doing it again
    How did they fight against the gays? What exactly did Obama do that would make a significant difference on getting more gay rights and/or getting same sex marriage? The only thing that comes to mind for me is them fighting to keep the timeline for DADT repeal, instead of allowing it to be struck down by the courts without the adjustment period. Anything else that he has done to actually hurt gay rights? Can you point out anything that any of the GOP candidates have done to help gay rights that Obama wouldn't have done, since they are who, so far, are vying for the biggest chance to be President instead of Obama?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #33
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Didn't he say that in 2008 yet he has failed. Obama will say what he thinks the group he is talking to wants to hear. He is concerned about votes and the election not about gays
    Well he certainly isn't obsessed with gays like you and the GOP.


  4. #34
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Senator Franken totally demolished the anti-gay-rights witness in the DOMA hearing today:


  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    How did they fight against the gays? What exactly did Obama do that would make a significant difference on getting more gay rights and/or getting same sex marriage? The only thing that comes to mind for me is them fighting to keep the timeline for DADT repeal, instead of allowing it to be struck down by the courts without the adjustment period. Anything else that he has done to actually hurt gay rights? Can you point out anything that any of the GOP candidates have done to help gay rights that Obama wouldn't have done, since they are who, so far, are vying for the biggest chance to be President instead of Obama?
    Anger grows as DOJ fights DADT injunction | Keen News Service

    Obama administration will no longer defend DOMA - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

  6. #36
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Which is what I mentioned, and not going to have any significant affect on getting DADT repealed, but will rather just delay it a few months to when it is supposed to happen. I happen to believe that the military shouldn't be putting anyone else out under DADT right now, since it is likely going to cost them money overall to do so, since we know that all those put out should be allowed to attempt to come back in in a few months anyway.

    This doesn't make a major difference in the overall scheme of getting gays the right to serve openly in the military. It is people complaining.

    How exactly does Obama not defending DOMA in court equate to him hurting the cause of getting it repealed? It might have been better if he would have just allowed it to go to court and just provided the same defense that the DOMA has been getting so far, which is likely to get it overturned anyway, but at least this way the cost of defending DOMA is directly attributed to the GOP since they are the ones insisting that it be defended.

    And you haven't addressed my question about the GOP and their own contributions/actions for gay rights/SSM. Most people are going to compare records on issues, not just base their decision off of what one of the two does for/against a certain issue.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which is what I mentioned, and not going to have any significant affect on getting DADT repealed, but will rather just delay it a few months to when it is supposed to happen. I happen to believe that the military shouldn't be putting anyone else out under DADT right now, since it is likely going to cost them money overall to do so, since we know that all those put out should be allowed to attempt to come back in in a few months anyway.

    This doesn't make a major difference in the overall scheme of getting gays the right to serve openly in the military. It is people complaining.



    How exactly does Obama not defending DOMA in court equate to him hurting the cause of getting it repealed? It might have been better if he would have just allowed it to go to court and just provided the same defense that the DOMA has been getting so far, which is likely to get it overturned anyway, but at least this way the cost of defending DOMA is directly attributed to the GOP since they are the ones insisting that it be defended.

    And you haven't addressed my question about the GOP and their own contributions/actions for gay rights/SSM. Most people are going to compare records on issues, not just base their decision off of what one of the two does for/against a certain issue.
    Obama promised to repeal DOMA in 2008. Nothing has happened so now this election cycle he will make the same failed promise.

    Obama is not doing what he told gays he would do

  8. #38
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Obama promised to repeal DOMA in 2008. Nothing has happened so now this election cycle he will make the same failed promise.

    Obama is not doing what he told gays he would do
    So doing more to rid the country of that putrid piece of dog **** that is DOMA than any other president in history is doing nothing?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #39
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA - CSMonitor.com



    I don't know what their chances are, but I am tentatively optimistic.
    Obama has largely been the disappointment that I thought he would be (cynical bastard that I am), but if he actually pulls this off, I might regain some respect for him.

  10. #40
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Senator Franken totally demolished the anti-gay-rights witness in the DOMA hearing today:

    I love Al Franken. There are very few people who can be both intelligent and funny about political issues at the same time.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •