Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 187

Thread: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

  1. #21
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Krasche View Post
    I know this is a little off topic but... repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell really didn't fix anything. If you were gay and in the military, you had to keep it under wraps or you were out. While that may be harsh, it protected the notion of professionalism in a sense. Think about it, not just gays, but EVERYONE who expresses their personal views in the workplace tend to be a distraction. In the military, yes gays would get kicked out if they were found out, but they only got found out if they were obnoxious about it or constantly hit on their coworkers, which is innappropriate for the work place anyway. Even if you're straight and do that you fall under the catagory of disruptive conduct or sexual harassment. So any SENSIBLE Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine, gay or straight, doesn't flaunt around parading their beliefs in the Military environment, therefore repealing DADT didn't really fix anything other than a problem that wasn't really there.
    This is wrong. I got married in the military. I didn't make it a big deal, but everyone I worked with was well aware that it was happening and I had done it. In fact, I had to talk to the XO about it. A gay servicemember cannot do this, whether it is a big deal or not. They could not even have the ceremony I had and tell people about it, with or without the legal marriage license, without very likely being discharged from the military under DADT. And, if DOMA does get repealed in the next couple of years, without DADT being repealed, a gay servicemember would not even be able to be involved in a legally recognized SSM without discharge, even if the only difference in their marriage compared to a straight servicemember's marriage is the sex of the two involved

    Repeal of DADT does a lot of positive things for the military. They may not be huge changes or very visible changes, but they are good changes. There will be some negative things with them, but the positives will almost certainly be more important than the negatives.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #22
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Because EVERYTHING he does is for personal political gain. Its the same reason why so many democrats were pissed at him for his inaction during the run up to the 2010 elections, but then suddenly engages. The playbook isnt that hard to read...its like he is reading "Re-elections for Dummies". Me...I believe it will work. Ive said all along that regardless of his poll numbers unless something hugely catastrophic occurs like he gets caught with his penis in the family pet...and not just with photographic evidence...I mean caught...live...humping in the Rose Garden...he will get reelected.
    Everything almost every politician does is for personal political gain. I wish this weren't true, but it is. I doubt there are a lot of politicians from either side that really want to help this country. A few maybe, but they are most likely those who are in the middle.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #23
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Because EVERYTHING he does is for personal political gain. Its the same reason why so many democrats were pissed at him for his inaction during the run up to the 2010 elections, but then suddenly engages. The playbook isnt that hard to read...its like he is reading "Re-elections for Dummies". Me...I believe it will work. Ive said all along that regardless of his poll numbers unless something hugely catastrophic occurs like he gets caught with his penis in the family pet...and not just with photographic evidence...I mean caught...live...humping in the Rose Garden...he will get reelected.
    You really have not actually put any thought whatsoever into this have you? Gays tend to vote democrat. Gays are a tiny group. Pandering to a group who already supports you and who are relatively small by supporting a controversial legislation is not the way to get re-elected.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Krasche View Post
    So any SENSIBLE Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine, gay or straight, doesn't flaunt around parading their beliefs in the Military environment, therefore repealing DADT didn't really fix anything other than a problem that wasn't really there.
    No sensible gay in the military is going to flaunt it either. However, that is not the issue. Now gays won't have to worry about getting kicked out for not hiding it,or for being caught holding hands, or for discussing their girlfriend/boyfriend. In other words, now gays are going to be just like every one else.

    The whole "professional" crap is just stupid. Treating a group of people who are serving their country and doing so perfectly well like crap because they are icky is not "professional".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #25
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Everything almost every politician does is for personal political gain. I wish this weren't true, but it is. I doubt there are a lot of politicians from either side that really want to help this country. A few maybe, but they are most likely those who are in the middle.
    I dont at all disagree...

  6. #26
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You really have not actually put any thought whatsoever into this have you? Gays tend to vote democrat. Gays are a tiny group. Pandering to a group who already supports you and who are relatively small by supporting a controversial legislation is not the way to get re-elected.
    Oh indeed? Yet up until...say...THIS declaration there have been interruptions at mulitple Obama functions by? thats right...gay rights groups, upset that he hadnt taken up the rainbow banner. Come now...before you question levels of thought put into posts...welll...maybe have someone proofread yours.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    I don't feel comfortable with DOMA or the Respect for Marriage Act.

    The only capacity in which the Federal government or SCOTUS should be involved is in forcing the States to acknowledge Equal Protection and strike down the prejudicial pro-heterosexual marriage laws written into State Constitutions. Outside of that, I do not want to see the Federal gov endorsing marriage AT ALL.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    My question is, why do people always bring up the fact that Obama is doing this for elections only? Why would he need to do this? If the decision is between Obama or a GOP candidate on this issue alone, most people would know which would fit their beliefs on this issue the best by now. It isn't like it is a secret until election time.

    I personally think that Obama is right on this issue, mostly (one of the few I agree with him, to a point, with). The only part I really don't agree on, will most likely have to be decided by the SCOTUS, and that is what a state's right to discriminate against same sex couples should be.

    But this issue won't come down to Obama, since anything done to change the current policy to allow same sex couples to be recognized as legally married by the federal government will almost certainly be approved by Obama. Now, that being said, it is quite possible that a GOP candidate who gets into office will be an issue, since if such a bill gets through Congress after the election (which is plausible, considering it is still in committee) and Obama isn't in office, it is quite likely that any of the GOP candidates currently vying for the Presidency are likely to veto the bill. This would be a huge blow to equality in marriage.

    So, just looking at this issue in relation to the election, an intelligent person could see that as long as Obama holds his current stance, he has the vote of those who are pro-SSM if it comes down to this issue for them, and likely doesn't have the vote of those who are pro-DOMA. He doesn't have to try to change anything at all, because his current stance of not vetoing any bills to repeal DOMA is going to be better than the GOPs candidates' position of most likely vetoing any such bill and possibly pushing for an anti-SSM amendment.
    He promised it in 2008 now he is still promising it. Obama is not concerned about gays. Read my link that shows his letter from 2008

  9. #29
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Krasche View Post
    I know this is a little off topic but... repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell really didn't fix anything. If you were gay and in the military, you had to keep it under wraps or you were out. While that may be harsh, it protected the notion of professionalism in a sense. Think about it, not just gays, but EVERYONE who expresses their personal views in the workplace tend to be a distraction. In the military, yes gays would get kicked out if they were found out, but they only got found out if they were obnoxious about it or constantly hit on their coworkers, which is innappropriate for the work place anyway. Even if you're straight and do that you fall under the catagory of disruptive conduct or sexual harassment. So any SENSIBLE Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine, gay or straight, doesn't flaunt around parading their beliefs in the Military environment, therefore repealing DADT didn't really fix anything other than a problem that wasn't really there.
    Completely false. I'm not sure where you have been getting your information but it is almost completely wrong. The vast majority of discharges under DADT did not have anything to do with people hitting on their co-workers or being disruptive and flaunting. I'd be interested to hear what the source of your misinformation is.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #30
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    He promised it in 2008 now he is still promising it. Obama is not concerned about gays. Read my link that shows his letter from 2008
    So? What is your point? He's a politician. He's going to promise all types of things, just like the GOP candidate will. That doesn't mean that the GOP candidate will be any more likely to get what they are promising through or even work to get everything they promise through. Anyone who believes what a politician says alone, is pretty ignorant. You should go on what a politician does.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •