Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 187

Thread: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You are changing the law to give one group special rights
    No it isn't, it gives rights to BOTH gays and straights. Because you as a straight person can marry someone of the same sex then. Isn't that grand for you?

  2. #142
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You are changing the law to give one group special rights
    Really? Can you show me where any group of people is even mentioned in the law? here it is:

    H.R. 3567 amends Section 7 of title 1 in the United States Code to read:

    (a) For the purposes of any Federal law in which marital status is a factor, an individual shall be considered married if that individual's marriage is valid in the State where the marriage was entered into or, in the case of a marriage entered into outside any State, if the marriage is valid in the place where entered into and the marriage could have been entered into in a State.

    (b) In this section, the term `State' means a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any other territory or possession of the United States.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    nope im chaining the law to give EQUAL rights (just like interracial marriage)
    and if you want to be dishonest and play silly games I can play silly games too. I can claim the "group" in question would be EVERYBODY, not just gays. Two straight girls/men could marry if they want, the law would be given to them too!!! so again you are WRONG

    people are adding SPECIAL laws to the books to prevent EQUAL rights, even though you claim those laws are already in place we have to make NEW SPECIAL ones for some odd reason
    Equal rights for a lifestyle choice? That is not what rights are about.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    No it isn't, it gives rights to BOTH gays and straights. Because you as a straight person can marry someone of the same sex then. Isn't that grand for you?
    That makes no sense.
    Last edited by ptif219; 07-21-11 at 02:56 PM.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Really? Can you show me where any group of people is even mentioned in the law? here it is:
    Whoopps it is a mod

  6. #146
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    That makes no sense.
    Explain why it makes no sense. Work it out. It's the same reason your argument that letting gay people get married is giving them "special rights" is nonsensical.

  7. #147
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Equal rights for a lifestyle choice? That is not what rights are about.
    really now???? LMAO

    so when interracial couples made a decision, I mean "lifestyle choice" to marry each other it wasnt about rights?

    when women made the decision, I mean lifestyle choice, to be educated, to be bosses, to vote and have jobs it wasnt about rights?

    Like I said if you want to be dishonest and play dumb games I can use your false logic against you every single time LMAO you are just to easy, bias and nonobjective not to expose

    do you every actually address any issues or admit when you are flat out wrong or do you just always talk circles, back pedal and deflect?
    Last edited by AGENT J; 07-21-11 at 03:39 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #148
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    That makes no sense.
    actually it makes perfect sense to anybody honest.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Explain why it makes no sense. Work it out. It's the same reason your argument that letting gay people get married is giving them "special rights" is nonsensical.
    No hetrosexuals will not enter a gay marriage.

    The law was changed because people make a lifestyle choice. Should we also pass sharia law because muslims want it?

  10. #150
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Obama, in stand for gay rights, calls for repeal of DOMA

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    No hetrosexuals will not enter a gay marriage.

    The law was changed because people make a lifestyle choice. Should we also pass sharia law because muslims want it?
    First, most Muslims who live in the US don't want Sharia law to be the law of the land. If they wanted to live in a theocracy, they wouldn't have come here. Second, Sharia law will never be a part of US law (except as a referent for judges and juries to use in establishing various mental states of individuals who are Muslim, and sometimes in arbitration contexts) because it'd be unconstitutional to do so. Third, the gay marriage issue is about equality, and the right to marry the person of your choice. It's essentially the same issue that was decided decades ago in Loving v Virginia, which did away with bans on interracial marriage.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •