Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 199

Thread: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

  1. #81
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    So that was my point. The govt. doesn't do anything until people start screaming. People started screaming for fiscal responsibility at the end of Bush's presidency.
    That's because it was Reagan and GHWB who began the runup in national debt; not exactly a sign that they liked balanced budgets.

    And you're just flat out wrong to say that the calls for a balanced budget started at the end of GHWB. In the 5 years BEFORE Reagan took office, there were more than 30 petitions to pass a Balanced Budget Amendment submitted to Congress by various states. Your argument would be more credible if it didn't use so many fictions.

    The dems had majorities from then until 2010 in both houses and did nothing.
    Another fiction. During most of the bush* admin, it was the republicans who controlled both houses AND the white house, and increased the national debt faster than anyone before them.

    The repubs got the majority in 2010 and it becomes a priority.
    No, they lost the presidency, and suddenly they remembered they were for balanced budgets.

    SOMEBODY listened to the screaming. Whether they would have done it on their own doesn't really matter. I'd be just as happy about the efforts being made by Dems (even if I disagree with their methods) if they were making any. But they're not. They're screaming for compromise and haven't put forth a completed proposal since this debate began. You can't compromise if there's only one proposal, no amendments, no plans, no ideas. Put something on the table, or stop sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming, "nananana can't hear you". They want to call out the GOP as the party of "No", but they're doing a damned good job of imitating them.
    Umm, the negotiations going on now are not over a budget; they're over raising the debt ceiling. The budget being pushed by the republicans in congress are not balanced. Obama has submitted a budget. Now, it's the Houses' responsibility, as the Constitution specifies.

    So make all the personal attacks you want, but they wont obscure the many fictions you have just told.

    I really don't like any of the fiscal policies of the left, and though I'm pretty socially liberal, I think where fiscal issues intersect social issues we're going to see problems if we progress with liberal ideas. That said, I'm not so fixed on hating the left that I can't recognize that efforts made are efforts made. I'm not naive enough to think that either party has the interests of anybody but themselves in mind when they do what they do. None of them in a grander sense have any desire to create success amongst the voting populace. But when their hand is forced and they do it anyway I'll acknowledge it.

    Maybe that's the difference. You don't care about the result, only the intent. I don't expect the intent to be honest and pure, so the result is more important to me.
    Your personal opinions and your personal attacks do not change the facts
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #82
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Let me break it down for you:

    I have a budget.
    It includes everything except unexpected expensives.
    At the end of the year, I have a budget surplus of $50.
    During that year, though, I had to spend $1500 in credit for those unexpected expensives.
    Even though my BUDGET led to a surplus, my EXPENDITURES lead to an overall debt.
    So my $50 budgetary surplus is worthless, because my accrued debt for the same period exceeds said surplus.
    That means having a surplus serves no purpose and means NOTHING for my fiscal wellbeing.
    The govts budget doesn't work that way. For one thing, you don't have to get a majority of 534 other people to spend money
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    this measure is a total waste of ****ing time
    how?

    because the party in power is pledged to kill it?

    no, this is a sincere statement of principled solutions to our budget mess passed by the house of represenatatives to the us senate for consideration

    pooh pooh it at your pleasure

    and vote it down upstairs, by all means

    let miserable ms mccaskill explain her veto all next year to the show me's

    but the debt ceiling debate has moved astonishingly far and fast in the last few months

    why, it was just february when our poor, perplexed potus submitted to congress his budget which actually RAISED borrowing 20 additional percent

    in april the party's own senate killed it---unanimously

    at gwu on april 13 obama reinvented himself as the slasher

    that is, his position has moved some 6 to 8 trillion dollars towards CUTS in the last 6 months

    hurryup harry just a few months ago demanded that CLEAN lift of the ceiling, all recall

    the mcconnell plan, now mcconnell-reid, has gone from a recommendation of T's of cuts to a now mandated 1.5T

    boehner's ccb transformed over the weekend from dollar for dollar (2.4T cuts for 2.4T borrowing, enough to get thru the presidential) to 5.8T in cuts for the same 2.4

    this gang of 6 proposal is out there trumpeting its sudden 3.75T in cuts

    that's 3.75 TRILLION DOLLARS in reductions---to medicare, medicaid, the entitlements...

    bottom line---this waste of time is saving future generations from the financing costs of some 6 to 8 tril of more immediate borrowing

    and we're not done yet

    watch the parties race to cut
    Last edited by The Prof; 07-20-11 at 03:36 PM.

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So why won't it pass? What is stopping it from passing?
    it doesn't raise taxes

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That is all it was intended to do, to make their base think they tried
    LOL!

    how do you explain the president's regression from 1.6 trillion of additional debt in february to 4 to 6 trillion dollars in cuts today

  6. #86
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That's because it was Reagan and GHWB who began the runup in national debt; not exactly a sign that they liked balanced budgets.

    And you're just flat out wrong to say that the calls for a balanced budget started at the end of GHWB. In the 5 years BEFORE Reagan took office, there were more than 30 petitions to pass a Balanced Budget Amendment submitted to Congress by various states. Your argument would be more credible if it didn't use so many fictions.



    Another fiction. During most of the bush* admin, it was the republicans who controlled both houses AND the white house, and increased the national debt faster than anyone before them.



    No, they lost the presidency, and suddenly they remembered they were for balanced budgets.



    Umm, the negotiations going on now are not over a budget; they're over raising the debt ceiling. The budget being pushed by the republicans in congress are not balanced. Obama has submitted a budget. Now, it's the Houses' responsibility, as the Constitution specifies.

    So make all the personal attacks you want, but they wont obscure the many fictions you have just told.



    Your personal opinions and your personal attacks do not change the facts
    I'm not going to address the first part of your post because I'm quite sick of a circular debate where-in you choose to blatantly ignore a very obvious point for the sake of trying to prove yourself right.

    As for your last sentence, I was not making a personal attack. I was making an observation. It not intended nor phrased to be an insult. If you took it that way, my apologies.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The only difference between them is that the dems are honest about not wanting to balance the budget.
    vote obama, 2012!

    dems are honest!

    about not wanting to balance the budget!

    LOL!

  8. #88
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    the republicans are simply trying to discredit obama at this point
    too thin skinned for primetime, with all due respect

  9. #89
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not going to address the first part of your post because I'm quite sick of a circular debate where-in you choose to blatantly ignore a very obvious point for the sake of trying to prove yourself right.

    As for your last sentence, I was not making a personal attack. I was making an observation. It not intended nor phrased to be an insult. If you took it that way, my apologies.
    Your point was based on things that are not true, and saying to me that "You don't care about the result, only the intent." is most definitely a personal attack. Since coming here, I've been impressed by your ability to discuss the issues in a reasonable and civil manner. That's why I'm so disappointed that you have attacked me like that, but I do appreciate the apology

    But the record shows that the rightwing has been fighting for balanced budgets for years before Reagan took office. The record also shows the republicans increasing spending, budget deficits, and national debt at a rate faster than any democrat has done. If you really want to base your conclusions on the facts, I strongly suggest that you consider these facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #90
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Debt limit in this deal is raised....



    SO there is a compromise, who is the party of "no"bama?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •