Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 199

Thread: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

  1. #71
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I know what a budget surplus is. I'm saying when your debt continues to accrue above and beyond any budgetary surplus there is not a legitimate surplus of funds, hence no "real" surplus existed. It's all smoke and mirrors. It matters for nothing.
    No, a budget surplus is a budget surplus. You can't redefine the term simply because it contradicts your argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It did happen after Clinton raised taxes.
    Years later. He raised taxes with a democrat majority in congress. When the GOP took over the majority we got a balanced budget through Newt.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actions speak louder than words. I agree that the repubs SAY that they're for a balanced budget, but their actions prove they are lying
    '


    "People didn't fight for it until people began fighting for it" is a tautology.




    Umm, Clinton campaigned on balancing the budget too. The difference between him and the repubs is that he did what he said he would do.
    Wrong it is the democrats that have not had any budget with Obama as president. If anyone shows they do not want to be bound by a budget is Obama and the democrats

  4. #74
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actions speak louder than words. I agree that the repubs SAY that they're for a balanced budget, but their actions prove they are lying
    '


    "People didn't fight for it until people began fighting for it" is a tautology.




    Umm, Clinton campaigned on balancing the budget too. The difference between him and the repubs is that he did what he said he would do.
    POLITICIANS did not start fighting for equal rights or women's suffrage until those demanding equal rights and women's suffrage began to speak loudly enough to be heard. I really hate people who try to take apart an argument based on what should have been painfully clear. I'm about 99% sure you knew exactly what I meant, but decided to split hairs for no good reason. So thanks for that. I'll keep in mind in the future that you require things spelled out in the simpliest possible terms.

    Again, you can have a budget and say it's balanced, but if your debt continues to accrue it doesn't matter. I can create a budget that includes everything but clothes and food, put those items on credit, and come out ahead in cash at the end of the money, but be negative because of credit accrual. It's a fallacy and you know it.

    Again, I ask you to answer my question. If the roles were reversed would you say the same thing about the dems as you're saying abou the GOP?
    Last edited by tessaesque; 07-20-11 at 02:21 PM.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #75
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, a budget surplus is a budget surplus. You can't redefine the term simply because it contradicts your argument.
    I'm not redefining anything. You're splitting hairs over something quite easily understood to somehow manipulate the argument into making you right. Not falling for it.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #76
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Years later. He raised taxes with a democrat majority in congress. When the GOP took over the majority we got a balanced budget through Newt.
    Right. It took bush* eight years to destroy the economy, why expect Clinton to fix it right away? And the balanced budgets passed AFTER Newt resigned.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #77
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    POLITICIANS did not start fighting for equal rights or women's suffrage until those demanding equal rights and women's suffrage began to speak loudly enough to be heard. I really hate people who try to take apart an argument based on what should have been painfully clear. I'm about 99% sure you knew exactly what I meant, but decided to split hairs for no good reason. So thanks for that. I'll keep in mind in the future that you require things spelled out in the simpliest possible terms.
    So what? Of course politicians didn't fight for it until people starting demanding it. So what?


    Again, you can have a budget and say it's balanced, but if your debt continues to accrue it doesn't matter. I can create a budget that includes everything but clothes and food, put those items on credit, and come out ahead in cash at the end of the money, but be negative because of credit accrual. It's a fallacy and you know it.
    You can say whatever you want, but the term "balanced budget" has a specific definition.


    Again, I ask you to answer my question. If the roles were reversed would you say the same thing about the dems as you're saying abou the GOP?
    Yes. My politics is based on policies, not politicians. That's why I left the democrats....because they left me
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #78
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not redefining anything. You're splitting hairs over something quite easily understood to somehow manipulate the argument into making you right. Not falling for it.
    The term "balanced budget" has a specific meaning. Your defining the term to suit your argument is indeed a redefinition.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #79
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So what? Of course politicians didn't fight for it until people starting demanding it. So what?



    You can say whatever you want, but the term "balanced budget" has a specific definition.




    Yes. My politics is based on policies, not politicians. That's why I left the democrats....because they left me
    So that was my point. The govt. doesn't do anything until people start screaming. People started screaming for fiscal responsibility at the end of Bush's presidency. The dems had majorities from then until 2010 in both houses and did nothing. The repubs got the majority in 2010 and it becomes a priority. SOMEBODY listened to the screaming. Whether they would have done it on their own doesn't really matter. I'd be just as happy about the efforts being made by Dems (even if I disagree with their methods) if they were making any. But they're not. They're screaming for compromise and haven't put forth a completed proposal since this debate began. You can't compromise if there's only one proposal, no amendments, no plans, no ideas. Put something on the table, or stop sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming, "nananana can't hear you". They want to call out the GOP as the party of "No", but they're doing a damned good job of imitating them.

    I really don't like any of the fiscal policies of the left, and though I'm pretty socially liberal, I think where fiscal issues intersect social issues we're going to see problems if we progress with liberal ideas. That said, I'm not so fixed on hating the left that I can't recognize that efforts made are efforts made. I'm not naive enough to think that either party has the interests of anybody but themselves in mind when they do what they do. None of them in a grander sense have any desire to create success amongst the voting populace. But when their hand is forced and they do it anyway I'll acknowledge it.

    Maybe that's the difference. You don't care about the result, only the intent. I don't expect the intent to be honest and pure, so the result is more important to me.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #80
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The term "balanced budget" has a specific meaning. Your defining the term to suit your argument is indeed a redefinition.
    Let me break it down for you:

    I have a budget.
    It includes everything except unexpected expensives.
    At the end of the year, I have a budget surplus of $50.
    During that year, though, I had to spend $1500 in credit for those unexpected expensives.
    Even though my BUDGET led to a surplus, my EXPENDITURES lead to an overall debt.
    So my $50 budgetary surplus is worthless, because my accrued debt for the same period exceeds said surplus.
    That means having a surplus serves no purpose and means NOTHING for my fiscal wellbeing.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •