Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 199

Thread: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The GOP Congress would rather play games and engage in political theater than address the real issues facing this country.
    the real issue facing this country:

    The federal government's financial condition deteriorated rapidly last year, far beyond the $1.5 trillion in new debt taken on to finance the budget deficit, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

    The government added $5.3 trillion in new financial obligations in 2010, largely for retirement programs such as Medicare and Social Security. That brings to a record $61.6 trillion the total of financial promises not paid for.

    Medicare alone took on $1.8 trillion in new liabilities, more than the record deficit prompting heated debate between Congress and the White House over lifting the debt ceiling.

    Social Security added $1.4 trillion in obligations, partly reflecting longer life expectancies. Federal and military retirement programs added more to the financial hole, too.
    U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions - USATODAY.com

    trying to address THAT tsunami with tax revenues is like SPITTING in an OCEAN

    spin, anyone?

    if something isn't done NOW to fundamentally restructure our budgets, then our PRECIOUS PROGRAMS---medicare, medicaid, social security and even state pensions---will DIE

    leadership?
    Last edited by The Prof; 07-20-11 at 04:16 PM.

  2. #92
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Your point was based on things that are not true, and saying to me that "You don't care about the result, only the intent." is most definitely a personal attack. Since coming here, I've been impressed by your ability to discuss the issues in a reasonable and civil manner. That's why I'm so disappointed that you have attacked me like that, but I do appreciate the apology

    But the record shows that the rightwing has been fighting for balanced budgets for years before Reagan took office. The record also shows the republicans increasing spending, budget deficits, and national debt at a rate faster than any democrat has done. If you really want to base your conclusions on the facts, I strongly suggest that you consider these facts.
    I did NOT attack you. I made a comparsion. You expressed ideas that make it appear that you are more concerned with intent. I am more concerned with results. That is a disparity, not an insult.

    Aside from that, my statements were factual. Because they did not cover the entire history, but dealt only with the "here and now" hardly devalues them or discredits them. In the last 10 years you have heard little to no rumblings about reigning in spending. In 2008 we saw a massive influx of media coverage for groups and people shouting for changes in fiscal policy. That is most certainly a fact, and that is the main impetus for the GOP to have focused on SPENDING AND THE BUDGET right now, in conjunction with the debt ceiling. This debate is NOT just about raising the debt ceiling and you know it. It has been used as a foothold to broaden the debate to our fiscal policy as a whole. That, too, is a fact. During the last two years of Bush's term the dems had the majority in the legislature. That's a fact. They did not curb spending, also a fact. Until 2010, they maintained a majority in the legislature, also a fact. They did not curb spending, also a fact.

    As I said, you are distorting the argument. I am not talking about thirty years ago. I'm talking about the reason that today's GOP is doing what it is doing. Everything I have said regarding the current situation is true. Again, I will not debate with you if you fail to take what I say as it is written. I do not double-speak, play with words, or try to hide meanings. I do not neglect facts. I focus on the very specific point I'm debating, that is, why the GOP is currently, today, in 2011..doing what they are doing in regards to spending. It is not what the GOP has done over the last 80 years.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And the balanced budgets passed AFTER Newt resigned.
    AFTER january 6, 1999?

    LOL!

    when DENNIS HASTERT became speaker?

    wrong again, rasputin

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Umm, the negotiations going on now are not over a budget; they're over raising the debt ceiling.
    and the terms of those negotiations?

    you think they're bartering gay marriage, or something?

    LOL!

    Obama has submitted a budget
    he sure has

    President's budget sinks, 97-0 - TheHill.com

  5. #95
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I did NOT attack you. I made a comparsion. You expressed ideas that make it appear that you are more concerned with intent. I am more concerned with results. That is a disparity, not an insult.

    Aside from that, my statements were factual. Because they did not cover the entire history, but dealt only with the "here and now" hardly devalues them or discredits them. In the last 10 years you have heard little to no rumblings about reigning in spending. In 2008 we saw a massive influx of media coverage for groups and people shouting for changes in fiscal policy. That is most certainly a fact, and that is the main impetus for the GOP to have focused on SPENDING AND THE BUDGET right now, in conjunction with the debt ceiling. This debate is NOT just about raising the debt ceiling and you know it. It has been used as a foothold to broaden the debate to our fiscal policy as a whole. That, too, is a fact. During the last two years of Bush's term the dems had the majority in the legislature. That's a fact. They did not curb spending, also a fact. Until 2010, they maintained a majority in the legislature, also a fact. They did not curb spending, also a fact.

    As I said, you are distorting the argument. I am not talking about thirty years ago. I'm talking about the reason that today's GOP is doing what it is doing. Everything I have said regarding the current situation is true. Again, I will not debate with you if you fail to take what I say as it is written. I do not double-speak, play with words, or try to hide meanings. I do not neglect facts. I focus on the very specific point I'm debating, that is, why the GOP is currently, today, in 2011..doing what they are doing in regards to spending. It is not what the GOP has done over the last 80 years.
    No, you said that the public didn't push for balanced budgets until near the end of GHWB's term. That is not true. The repubs were pushing before that when, coincidentally I'm sure, we had a dem president. Once Reagan took office, the cries for a balanced budget died down while the republican presidents (Reagan and ghwb) oversaw historically high spending, budget deficits, and national debt. Then, when a dem (Clinton) took over, the rightwing repubs, coincidentally I'm sure, went back to calling for a balanced budget. And like clockwork, when a repub won the presidency (bush*) the calls for a balanced budget again died down, while the republicans went back to increasing spending, budget deficits, and national debt. Then, when a Dem won the White House, the repubs went back to calling for a balanced budget. Another coincidence I'm sure.

    And the results of all this was a national debt that exploded under repub presidents while the rank and file remained silent. It's only when a dem is in the white house that the repubs whine about a balanced budget. And for all their whining, the only time in recent history when we had a balanced budget is when we had a dem president.

    And your failing to cover the entire history, and restricting your info to the "here and now" most certainly does discredit and devalue your argument. There's even a name for such a tactic...it's called "cherry picking"

    Todays GOP is crying about balanced budgets for the same reason they have always done so; because there's a dem in the white house.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #96
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,556

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Debt limit in this deal is raised....



    SO there is a compromise, who is the party of "no"bama?


    Hi lonley question, perhaps someone will adress you someday.....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Your point was based on things that are not true, and saying to me that "You don't care about the result, only the intent." is most definitely a personal attack.
    for someone who, in more animated moments, calls for the hangings of greedhead right wingers, you're awful sensitive

    LOL!

  8. #98
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, you said that the public didn't push for balanced budgets until near the end of GHWB's term. That is not true. The repubs were pushing before that when, coincidentally I'm sure, we had a dem president. Once Reagan took office, the cries for a balanced budget died down while the republican presidents (Reagan and ghwb) oversaw historically high spending, budget deficits, and national debt. Then, when a dem (Clinton) took over, the rightwing repubs, coincidentally I'm sure, went back to calling for a balanced budget. And like clockwork, when a repub won the presidency (bush*) the calls for a balanced budget again died down, while the republicans went back to increasing spending, budget deficits, and national debt. Then, when a Dem won the White House, the repubs went back to calling for a balanced budget. Another coincidence I'm sure.

    And the results of all this was a national debt that exploded under repub presidents while the rank and file remained silent. It's only when a dem is in the white house that the repubs whine about a balanced budget. And for all their whining, the only time in recent history when we had a balanced budget is when we had a dem president.

    And your failing to cover the entire history, and restricting your info to the "here and now" most certainly does discredit and devalue your argument. There's even a name for such a tactic...it's called "cherry picking"

    Todays GOP is crying about balanced budgets for the same reason they have always done so; because there's a dem in the white house.
    You can officially find somebody else who is willing to waste their time trying to have an honest discussion when you obviously unwilling to do so. I have clarified, re-clarified, and then re-clarified my point again...and yet you still want to act as though you don't get it. I'm over it. Your style of debate is dishonest and, quite frankly, not worth my time.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #99
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You can officially find somebody else who is willing to waste their time trying to have an honest discussion when you obviously unwilling to do so. I have clarified, re-clarified, and then re-clarified my point again...and yet you still want to act as though you don't get it. I'm over it. Your style of debate is dishonest and, quite frankly, not worth my time.
    Here is your point

    In 2008 we saw a massive influx of media coverage for groups and people shouting for changes in fiscal policy. That is most certainly a fact, and that is the main impetus for the GOP to have focused on SPENDING AND THE BUDGET right now, in conjunction with the debt ceiling. This debate is NOT just about raising the debt ceiling and you know it. It has been used as a foothold to broaden the debate to our fiscal policy as a whole. That, too, is a fact. During the last two years of Bush's term the dems had the majority in the legislature. That's a fact. They did not curb spending, also a fact. Until 2010, they maintained a majority in the legislature, also a fact. They did not curb spending, also a fact.
    My point, which you have failed to address, is that the republicans call for a balanced budget is nothing more than scam perpetrated by republican politicians and the media cronies whenever a dem is in the white house. If the people were truly so concerned about balanced budgets, they would not have remained silent while Reagan, GHWB, and bush* exploded spending, budget deficits, and the national debt.

    The push for a balanced budget is nothing more than a political ploy (much like this latest proposal) designed to stymie a dem president. And the polls show it. According to polls, only a small minority of the american people believe that our highest priority is spending and balancing the budget.

    http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/r0SRC9hI_Y_s

    Which of the following do you see as the most important issue facing the country right now?
    (Read list. Rotate.) Ranked.
    42 Unemployment and jobs
    17 Government spending
    13 The federal deficit
    10 Health care
    5 The war in Afghanistan
    4 Gas prices
    3 Immigration
    1 Taxes
    2 Other (VOL) (specify
    - None of these (VOL)
    3 Not sure
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: House to Vote on "Cut, Cap, and Balance" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Right. It took bush* eight years to destroy the economy, why expect Clinton to fix it right away? And the balanced budgets passed AFTER Newt resigned.
    Nice spin except the economy went bad in 2007 after the dems took back control of the house.

    By the way Obama once again shows he is a partisan hack by having a democrat only meeting. Obama once again is shutting out the GOP

    Obama called Democratic leaders to the White House Wednesday for debt talks - 7/20/2011 11:56:14 AM | Newser



    Also the vote last night was bi-partisan.

    5 democrats voted for it 9 tea party GOP voted against it

    Five Blue Dogs join GOP in vote for 'cut, cap and balance' bill - The Hill's Floor Action
    Last edited by ptif219; 07-20-11 at 04:50 PM.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •