Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 87

Thread: Borders to Shut Down

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    It's not exactly such a big economic threat compared to GM croaking...

    just telling you.
    So its ok to let everyone but "special" companies fail? GM croaking would have just been a temporary setback for those that work there and invested in it. Some other company would have come around to replace GM.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So its ok to let everyone but "special" companies fail? GM croaking would have just been a COLOSSAL ECONOMIC COLLAPSE NEVER PARALLELED BY ANY COMPANY FAILURE ON EARTH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    hey I fixed that for you. But I'm not responsable for my actions Im suffering from asshole syndrome.

  3. #33
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So whats the difference between those and GM?
    They didn't get bailed out.**

    **And didn't recover from bankruptcy. You should have been able to answer that one yourself, as I pointed out.
    Last edited by Singularity; 07-20-11 at 08:12 PM.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    hey I fixed that for you. But I'm not responsable for my actions Im suffering from asshole syndrome.
    GM failing would not have caused a "colossal economic collapse". Yes it would have caused some damage. But not near the extent that you proclaim.

    And just to be nice...the last time that I quoted someone and made an alteration inside that quote I got an infraction point....just to let ya know.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    They didn't get bailed out.**

    **And didn't recover from bankruptcy. You should have been able to answer that one yourself, as I pointed out.
    Why can't they get a bailout? If the government is going to bailout one company then by rights they should bail out others. Picking and choosing is nothing short of showing favortism. Which the government is not suppose to do. Remember....they're suppose to be neutral.

    And the only reason that GM recovered from bankruptcy is because the government bailed them out. So whats your point on that one?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #36
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,722

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    I knew they were close to shutting the doors and about a half hour ago, my wife told me they had. I too am an avid book reader and I own every book and only a few are on the Nook. I prefer hardcover, but I'll take books the best way I can get them. I love Barnes and Noble and Amazon as I also purchase books that have not been in print for decades. In fact, my current reading is a book that was published in 1914 and is "The Journal of the Joint Committee of Fifteen On Reconstruction, 39th Congress, 1865-1867." I had just finished another one on the Fourteenth Amendment by Horace Flack that was written in about 1907. Just to show that I am not a total history nut, I did sandwich those two books with one of Vince Flynn's thrillers.

    Unfortunately, we did not have a Borders near us. Sort of reminds me of "You've Got Mail" movie. Well, in a big sort of way. LOL!
    I prefer ebooks, and have a library of about 20,000 of them, along with a tablet computer dedicated as an e-book reader. In comparison to the smaller kindles and what have you, I like to think of my tablet as a hardcover ebook reader. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #37
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Why can't they get a bailout? If the government is going to bailout one company then by rights they should bail out others. Picking and choosing is nothing short of showing favortism. Which the government is not suppose to do. Remember....they're suppose to be neutral.

    And the only reason that GM recovered from bankruptcy is because the government bailed them out. So whats your point on that one?
    Enron, Refco, Worldcom, Lehman Bros, and WaMu didn't get a bailout, either. That's my point. You made the point of calling out Obama when Borders didn't get bailed out, asking the question "does Obama not care about jobs?". None of those companies got bailed out, either. The same question could be asked of his predecessor - what, did Gee Dubya not care about jobs, either? I noticed, of course, that you didn't ask such a question, which goes back to my ultrapartisanship observation regarding your post.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Enron, Refco, Worldcom, Lehman Bros, and WaMu didn't get a bailout, either. That's my point. You made the point of calling out Obama when Borders didn't get bailed out, asking the question "does Obama not care about jobs?". None of those companies got bailed out, either. The same question could be asked of his predecessor - what, did Gee Dubya not care about jobs, either? I noticed, of course, that you didn't ask such a question, which goes back to my ultrapartisanship observation regarding your post.
    I didn't ask about it of Bush because he is not the one that bailed out companies. In case you hadn't really caught it yet I was against the bailouts. However since we did do them then it is only appropriate that we do not play favorites.

    Nice try on the bold part though.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #39
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I didn't ask about it of Bush because he is not the one that bailed out companies. In case you hadn't really caught it yet I was against the bailouts. However since we did do them then it is only appropriate that we do not play favorites.

    Nice try on the bold part though.
    And i'm quite sure that if Obama announced a bailout of Borders, you'd be on this thread blasting Obama for doing so (you're against the bailouts, as you just said in post #38). As it stands now, you are blasting Obama for not bailing out Borders. So on the one hand, you hate bailouts. On the other, you want Borders to be bailed out because it's only fair.

    That's quite a conundrum you've got there. Perhaps it's better to admit your ultrapartisanship earlier and call it a night.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Borders to Shut Down

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    And i'm quite sure that if Obama announced a bailout of Borders, you'd be on this thread blasting Obama for doing so (you're against the bailouts, as you just said in post #38). As it stands now, you are blasting Obama for not bailing out Borders. So on the one hand, you hate bailouts. On the other, you want Borders to be bailed out because it's only fair.

    That's quite a conundrum you've got there. Perhaps it's better to admit your ultrapartisanship earlier and call it a night.
    Of course I would lambbast Obama for bailing out companies. That is not the governments job. However I wouldn't lambast him any more than I already have in the past. IE imo one more bailout isn't going to mean squat as Obama has already "thrown the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak. In fact I would agree that he at least is consistant. I don't know about you but I consider it to be a good thing if the most powerful person in the country is consistant.

    And seriously, enough with the partisanship name calling already. I've shown time and again on this forum that I don't care for republicans or democrats. How can a person be partisan if they do not like either of the parties?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •