Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 229

Thread: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read more:

  1. #171
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    What you fail to acknowledge is that the jury will have no way of concluding that it was jealousy unless there is some evidence of this. As described, the hypothetical offered no evidence for that conclusion, therefore the jury will not be able to conclude that it was jealousy
    And do you believe that jury's are so predictable? If that were the case then Casey Anthony would be behind bars today. But she isn't is she?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #172
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    In your example, the murderer would get charged with 1st degree murder for both situation simply because his bias drove him to commit the act. Without the hate crime laws, they perp could be charged for a lesser crime as it may be seen as 2nd degree or manslaughter depending on how the encounter occurred.

    So the fact is, hate crime laws equalize the law against those that make a point to target people because of some bias and charges them appropriately. If you say you hate Mexicans and go out of your way to have conflicts with them that eventually leads to you murdering a person of Mexican descend, isn't that pre-meditated? Shouldn't the prep receive a harsher penalty for the crime as you would if you stalked and murdered women? You can't call it manslaughter can you because the perp made every effort to create a situation where this would occur or just showed he was willing to harm a person because of his bias alone.

    I think being against hate crime laws is to be against fairness of the law. State of mind is always relevant.
    Hate crime laws are an attempt to legislate morality. The disparity between those say prosecuted for white on black crime in the hate crime category, is at much more disparity than those prosecuted for black on white hate crime even when overt evidence shows such.

    It is, imo as it is handled now 'White guilt' in motion.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #173
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Hate crime laws are an attempt to legislate morality.
    All laws are an attempt to legislate morality.
    The disparity between those say prosecuted for white on black crime in the hate crime category, is at much more disparity than those prosecuted for black on white hate crime even when overt evidence shows such.

    It is, imo as it is handled now 'White guilt' in motion.
    You'll have to give some proof of that. The motivation must attributable to bias for hate crime laws to be applicable. In the article posted, if the crime was motivated by the perps' bias against whites, hate crime laws should be applicable. Passing a light sentence and putting these cowards back on the street would endanger other whites as their bias would potentially drive them to commit the same crime again.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  4. #174
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And do you believe that jury's are so predictable? If that were the case then Casey Anthony would be behind bars today. But she isn't is she?

    j-mac
    Can you explain to me how the jury would come to the conclusion that the murder was motivated by jealousy when the jury did not hear *any* evidence of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #175
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Hate crime laws are an attempt to legislate morality. The disparity between those say prosecuted for white on black crime in the hate crime category, is at much more disparity than those prosecuted for black on white hate crime even when overt evidence shows such.

    It is, imo as it is handled now 'White guilt' in motion.

    j-mac
    Hate crimes laws are an attempt to apply appropriate penalties based on the damage done to society. Black on white crime is prosecuted with much more disparity that white on black crime, even when overt evidence shows such. It is, IMO, as sit is handled now "Black Guilty" in motion
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #176
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Addressed to Tettsuo, and Sangha,

    I look to see if I can find the story, but I recall hearing last week on the news a prime example. It involved a 20 year old young white man heading home to meet his parents curfew of midnight. The young man was only blocks from his home in a solidly middle class neighborhood, when he was jumped by a group of five black teens and one black adult male. The white male was beaten so badly that not only did he almost die, but will have to now undergo plastic surgery on his face and jaw.

    As the attack was happening the victim recalls hearing the assailants saying things like 'beat this cracker good', and 'you in the wrong place white boy..' etc. That was backed up by a prosecution witness.

    The hate crimes division refused to pick up the case. Why? If this were a young black man with his future ahead of him and white assailants, the statements made during the beating would have been enough to level hate crime charges. Yet none are charged in this case.

    That is wrong IMHO.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #177
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Addressed to Tettsuo, and Sangha,

    I look to see if I can find the story, but I recall hearing last week on the news a prime example. It involved a 20 year old young white man heading home to meet his parents curfew of midnight. The young man was only blocks from his home in a solidly middle class neighborhood, when he was jumped by a group of five black teens and one black adult male. The white male was beaten so badly that not only did he almost die, but will have to now undergo plastic surgery on his face and jaw.

    As the attack was happening the victim recalls hearing the assailants saying things like 'beat this cracker good', and 'you in the wrong place white boy..' etc. That was backed up by a prosecution witness.

    The hate crimes division refused to pick up the case. Why? If this were a young black man with his future ahead of him and white assailants, the statements made during the beating would have been enough to level hate crime charges. Yet none are charged in this case.

    That is wrong IMHO.

    j-mac
    I agree with you, that would be wrong if it occurred. But, this is not a failing of the law, but a failing of it's proper implementation and enforcement.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  8. #178
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Addressed to Tettsuo, and Sangha,

    I look to see if I can find the story, but I recall hearing last week on the news a prime example. It involved a 20 year old young white man heading home to meet his parents curfew of midnight. The young man was only blocks from his home in a solidly middle class neighborhood, when he was jumped by a group of five black teens and one black adult male. The white male was beaten so badly that not only did he almost die, but will have to now undergo plastic surgery on his face and jaw.

    As the attack was happening the victim recalls hearing the assailants saying things like 'beat this cracker good', and 'you in the wrong place white boy..' etc. That was backed up by a prosecution witness.

    The hate crimes division refused to pick up the case. Why? If this were a young black man with his future ahead of him and white assailants, the statements made during the beating would have been enough to level hate crime charges. Yet none are charged in this case.

    That is wrong IMHO.

    j-mac
    I am not going to address your incomplete memory of this attack except to say that the perfect is not the enemy of the good
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #179
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Americans here need to read their hate crime legislation and some case history, this is pathetic. People taking positions when they have no idea what they're talking about.
    Who is taking positions on hate crime? Seems you're the one talking all about it every other post. Spud is in Australia, so he's not American. So who is left?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #180
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: I was beaten, taunted for being white, Bronx man says after subway attack Read m

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Sounds like stupidity was the biggest factor here.
    Maybe you'd like to pin medals on the perps.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •