Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 170

Thread: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

  1. #31
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Why would detailed or intimate knowledge be required to form an opinion? Do I have to be the weather man to tell you its raining?

    The education system sucks no matter how much money we throw at it in large part due to the fact that it is difficult to fire bad teachers. And Tenure is a horrible notion.

    Do you take issue with the firing of bad teachers? Do you take issue with any of the standards by which they were evaluated?

    Can anyone tell me what benefit to the public teachers' unions create? Good for DC, this needs to happen in many more school districts



  2. #32
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Do you have any statistics to back up the overused, dumbass claim that the education system is failing due in "large" part to bad teachers? I already know the answer - no you don't. There are so many other problems and this "bad teacher" myth is a joke. This country is so stupid.
    you have a sound point-even good teachers cannot help kids who come from broken homes where their one parent probably doesn't give a damn. But having represented a major school system at one point I know how hard it is to get rid of incompetent teachers.

    and yes, many teachers are incompetent. and teachers unions make it harder to weed out the dead wood



  3. #33
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Can anyone tell me what benefit to the public teachers' unions create? Good for DC, this needs to happen in many more school districts
    Are you enjoying your weekend?

    Thank the unions
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #34
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Are you enjoying your weekend?

    Thank the unions
    people like me tend to control our environment without the help of unions

    enjoy living in the most prosperous nation in the world? thank entrepreneurs and corporations

    enjoy seeing more and more manufacturing going overseas? thank the Unions and parasitic politicians



  5. #35
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    people like me tend to control our environment without the help of unions

    enjoy living in the most prosperous nation in the world? thank entrepreneurs and corporations

    enjoy seeing more and more manufacturing going overseas? thank the Unions and parasitic politicians
    Actually you should prbably thank everyone. Workers had a huge hand in building this country, and this includes union workers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Pro-active parents are yes, the first best line of defense in fighting poor students. Only a fool argues this point. HOWEVER, next in line is the talent, and ability of the teachers. Active parents can help over come poor teachers, and good teachers can overcome worthless parents to a degree. You cannot save a kid from parents that are indifferent, but you can fire ****ty teachers.
    How do you measure this talent? And what percentage of the population should we expected to be talented? Truely talented?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #37
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually you should prbably thank everyone. Workers had a huge hand in building this country, and this includes union workers.
    really? so America became the most prominent nation in the world because of Unions? I believe that happened before the Unions really had a major role. But you are correct, workers did play a major role though not the most important role.



  8. #38
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    The District fired 206 teachers for poor performance Friday, the second year in a row it has dismissed significant numbers of educators for sub-par work in the classroom.


    They were dismissed for poor scores on the evaluation system known as IMPACT, which grades teachers on five 30-minute classroom observations and their compliance with nine broad standards. These include ability to express course content clearly, teach students with differing skill levels and manage time effectively. For some teachers, half of their appraisal is contingent on whether students meet predicted growth targets on standardized tests.


    Large-scale dismissals of teachers for job performance is still a rarity in big city schools, experts say. Collective bargaining agreements and often-cumbersome appeals processes, combined with a reluctance on the part of officials to confront politically potent unions, have limited firings.


    Read more at: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired - D.C. Schools Insider - The Washington Post

    Thoughts?
    Comments?
    Response?
    Poor performance is a valid reason. However, I would ask, do they have better to replace them or worse?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    really? so America became the most prominent nation in the world because of Unions? I believe that happened before the Unions really had a major role. But you are correct, workers did play a major role though not the most important role.
    Because of workers. Do pay attention, and try to avoid strawman arguments. Workers have done as much or more than business, and some of them belonged to unions. As I have noted before, look at the world of employees before unions. Would you argue they were better off then?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: More than 200 D.C. teachers fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    do they have better to replace them or worse?
    at a time when thousands of outstanding young teachers are being laid off from new york to california with DETROIT in between?

    you don't know what you're talking about

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •