Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 215

Thread: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

  1. #201
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I can appreciate the distinction between Debt Held by the Public and the Total Debt. You are correct that from a Total Debt perspective, there we did not have a surplus in the late 1990's, but that deficit was the lowest it had been in nearly half a century. Do not get so hung up in the political semantics that you miss the point: the deficit was very, very manageable during the Clinton years. It got out of control during the ensuing administration(s).
    Well, the point you just made doesn't address my point. Since you arrived mid-discussion, you have not seen my point. Not your fault, but I did not want to go through the explanation yet another time. Before, I get to my point, let me address your point. I am pleased to see you admit that there was no surplus during the
    1990s; however, you have neglected to point out another fact of those days. That fact is Newt Gingrich and the Republican Congress. Clinton signed the bills they passed. They both get credit. You will not find me defending the deficits of the Bush Era.

    My point was that Reagan agreed to raise taxes in exchange for cuts in expenditures. The Dems got their tax increases, but Reagan did not get his expenditure cuts. That was the 1980s. I provided proof of that long ago. In the 1990s, Mr. Read My Lips, came to an agreement again with the Dems. This time it was $3 of expenditure cuts for $1 tax increase. The tax increase was implemented, but the Dems only cut 27 cents. These are the lies to which I speak. No offense, but I don't trust the Dems. I don't really trust the GOP all that much either. I'm afraid they will get snookered by a third lie.

  2. #202
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Yep, lets ask the people that are hurting to sacrifice so the people that are prospering don't have to be bothered. This concept is the most absurd thing I have seen in my lifetime. The Conservatives should be ashamed.
    Why should conservatives be ashamed? Now is not the time to increase taxes. The President has played his class warfare game and after the lies of the past, the Dems can no longer be trusted. The President has poisoned the well with his vitriolic rhetoric. I would support the Deficit Commissions ideas about simplifying the tax code with less brackets and lowering the tax rates. I want the economy back on its feet first.

  3. #203
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    Well, the point you just made doesn't address my point. Since you arrived mid-discussion, you have not seen my point. Not your fault, but I did not want to go through the explanation yet another time. Before, I get to my point, let me address your point. I am pleased to see you admit that there was no surplus during the
    1990s; however, you have neglected to point out another fact of those days. That fact is Newt Gingrich and the Republican Congress. Clinton signed the bills they passed. They both get credit. You will not find me defending the deficits of the Bush Era.

    My point was that Reagan agreed to raise taxes in exchange for cuts in expenditures. The Dems got their tax increases, but Reagan did not get his expenditure cuts. That was the 1980s. I provided proof of that long ago. In the 1990s, Mr. Read My Lips, came to an agreement again with the Dems. This time it was $3 of expenditure cuts for $1 tax increase. The tax increase was implemented, but the Dems only cut 27 cents. These are the lies to which I speak. No offense, but I don't trust the Dems. I don't really trust the GOP all that much either. I'm afraid they will get snookered by a third lie.
    You are quite the revisionist historian. Again, Clinton did run a surplus, according to the same accounting rules that are applied to other presidents. For some odd reason Republicans want to apply a different set of rules to Clinton.

    Clinton was able to run a surplus primarily because of his tax hikes, which every single Republican in Congress voted against, and because of his spending cuts (including cuts to military spending, which were also opposed by Republicans). Republicans were largely unsuccesful in winning spending cuts beyond those proposed by Clinton, though they did succeed in winning some tax cuts -- without which surplus would have been even larger.

  4. #204
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You are quite the revisionist historian. Again, Clinton did run a surplus, according to the same accounting rules that are applied to other presidents. For some odd reason Republicans want to apply a different set of rules to Clinton.

    Clinton was able to run a surplus primarily because of his tax hikes, which every single Republican in Congress voted against, and because of his spending cuts (including cuts to military spending, which were also opposed by Republicans). Republicans were largely unsuccesful in winning spending cuts beyond those proposed by Clinton, though they did succeed in winning some tax cuts -- without which surplus would have been even larger.
    Not at all. I was just being polite and agreeing with a "slightly liberal" person who made the statement.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    You could have an argument (and I am all for fixing tax loopholes) if the government didnt spend every single cent it receives regardless of tax revenue. In our history what percentage of the years did we pay down our debt vs how many did we simply increase spending + further in debt.

    We could tax the wealthy 80% and in a matter of years that entire revenue would be spent and we would still be in debt.
    So, if you truely believe that, fight for them to make better choices. Don't simply say don't do your job.

    Shared sacrifice should mean shared. To be shared, this calls for an increase in the tax rate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #206
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Shared sacrifice should mean shared. To be shared, this calls for an increase in the tax rate.
    not in detroit

  7. #207
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    LOL! You know what news I watch? LOL!
    Everybody knows most conservatives watch Faux News 24/7! LOL!


    Unlike some people, I am not a perfect typist.
    The Forum has a "review" feature - in other words, you are able to review your post and make corrections before posting it. It just takes a few extra seconds.

    I inadvertently left out the letter "e" in the word, "let."
    The word "let" is not spelled with an "i" -!

    I take it you are a perfect typist. Cool!
    Far from it, but I do take pride in my work - I like to review to make sure that I said what I thought I had said. Also, gives me a chance to correct any typos or misspellings - my computer underlines words in "red" that are misspelled and you do have a dictionary at your fingertips on the internet.

    Don't worry, if you follow my postings, I am sure you will find plenty of reasons to be snarky over my typing. If that makes you feel like a big person, that's fine by me.
    I'm only snarky with people that are snarky to me - and when you claimed that you had been very "clear" - I couldn't help but point out that I didn't understand your statement. If you don't like snarky, don't get snarky.

    I believe that both Obama nd Boehner had been negortiating the figure of $800 billion in tax revenues. Then, per Boehner, the President demanded another $400 billion. He reneged on the agreement.
    Obama is not stupid - as most conservatives want to believe. He wants to make sure that the debt ceiling is large enough to insure the issues does not arise again until after the 2012 elections. Boehner and the GOP are deceitfully aiming for a smaller amount, because they want it to come up again before the election, so they can then use if for political posturing.

    Why would Obama, or anyone, for that matter, want to go through the crap that we are going through again in another 6 months? It's a total waste of time and effort for Congress when they need to be working on creating more jobs - like the GOP promised.

    I'm glad that the Democrats in the Senate are going to throw out the GOP's worthless piece of crap proposal out the window.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  8. #208
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    I know you guys keep forgetting the lies of the Dems regarding their promises to cut expenses when they did not do so, but that's okay, some of us do. Also, I think your nice little chart is out-of-date. You see, there was an election in 2010. That election put many new GOP members in Congress. This is not your mother's GOP.
    Give me a break! Bush spent more than Obama - I'm getting sick and tired of the repeated lie that Reps/cons like to spread around, that Obama is the big spender.

    Federal government spending has risen under President Obama, mostly because of the $800 billion stimulus designed to offset the massive recession he inherited from President Bush. But the increase in federal spending under Obama is dwarfed by the colossal increase under President Bush.
    Don't believe it?
    Let's go to the chart.

    As you can see, from 2000 to 2008, under President Bush, Federal spending rose by $1.3 trillion, from $1.9 trillion a year to $3.2 trillion a year.
    From 2009 to 2011, meanwhile, under President Obama, federal spending has risen by $600 billion, from $3.2 trillion a year to $3.8 trillion a year. It has also now begun to decline.


    Read more: The Truth About Who's Responsible For The Explosion In Government Spending



    And, the 2010 election caused a lot of looney people in the GOP to get elected - Whew, don't know how we managed to keep that looney Christine O"Donnell from getting elected and trumped the other Republican candidate, to boot! I guess she was a gift.

    And, you are right, they are not my mother's GOP - they are a bunch of morons that are going to take the country over the cliff thinking they are doing what is right. They all cater to the rich - it is just unbelievable that conservatives are not able to see it - I'm sure not all conservatives are rich.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  9. #209
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Everybody knows most conservatives watch Faux News 24/7! LOL!
    No, I doubt that everybody believes that most conservatives watches any network. Only fools would think that and I don't believe most people are fools.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    The Forum has a "review" feature - in other words, you are able to review your post and make corrections before posting it. It just takes a few extra seconds.
    I often prefer not to use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    The word "let" is not spelled with an "i" -!
    Really? Who spelled let with an i?

    [QUOTE=mertex;1059697135]Far from it, but I do take pride in my work - I like to review to make sure that I said what I thought I had said. Also, gives me a chance to correct any typos or misspellings - my computer underlines words in "red" that are misspelled and you do have a dictionary at your fingertips on the internet.

    Well, maybe you should read more carefully rather than correct your typing errors.

    [QUOTE=mertex;1059697135]I'm only snarky with people that are snarky to me - and when you claimed that you had been very "clear" - I couldn't help but point out that I didn't understand your statement. If you don't like snarky, don't get snarky.

    Yeah, right, Snarky.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Obama is not stupid - as most conservatives want to believe.
    You lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    He wants to make sure that the debt ceiling is large enough to insure the issues does not arise again until after the 2012 elections. Boehner and the GOP are deceitfully aiming for a smaller amount, because they want it to come up again before the election, so they can then use if for political posturing.
    You are free to believe anything you wish. Just understand that just because you believe it does not made it true.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Why would Obama, or anyone, for that matter, want to go through the crap that we are going through again in another 6 months? It's a total waste of time and effort for Congress when they need to be working on creating more jobs - like the GOP promised.
    You'd think people would negotiate in good faith and not up the ante at the last moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    I'm glad that the Democrats in the Senate are going to throw out the GOP's worthless piece of crap proposal out the window.
    Whatever. Hopefully sometime the GOP will see the Democrats step up to the plate. They haven't done that for weeks, or is it months?

  10. #210
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Tea party to GOP: We could make 'examples' of you over debt ceiling

    Originally Posted by LesGovt

    I know you guys keep forgetting the lies of the Dems regarding their promises to cut expenses when they did not do so, but that's okay, some of us do. Also, I think your nice little chart is out-of-date. You see, there was an election in 2010. That election put many new GOP members in Congress. This is not your mother's GOP.
    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Give me a break! Bush spent more than Obama - I'm getting sick and tired of the repeated lie that Reps/cons like to spread around, that Obama is the big spender.
    What is this in response to? This has nothing to do with the Dem lies of the 1980s and 1990s. His chart was out of date. There was an election in 2010. There are new GOP members in Congress. Your response is gobbledygook.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Federal government spending has risen under President Obama, mostly because of the $800 billion stimulus designed to offset the massive recession he inherited from President Bush. But the increase in federal spending under Obama is dwarfed by the colossal increase under President Bush.
    Don't believe it?
    Let's go to the chart.


    What is this in response to? This has nothing to do with the Dem lies of the 1980s and 1990s. His chart was out of date. There was an election in 2010. There are new GOP members in Congress. Your response is gobbledygook.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    As you can see, from 2000 to 2008, under President Bush, Federal spending rose by $1.3 trillion, from $1.9 trillion a year to $3.2 trillion a year.
    From 2009 to 2011, meanwhile, under President Obama, federal spending has risen by $600 billion, from $3.2 trillion a year to $3.8 trillion a year. It has also now begun to decline.
    What is this in response to? This has nothing to do with the Dem lies of the 1980s and 1990s. His chart was out of date. There was an election in 2010. There are new GOP members in Congress. Your response is gobbledygook.

    Why would I read an article that has nothing to do with what I said?

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    And, the 2010 election caused a lot of looney people in the GOP to get elected - Whew, don't know how we managed to keep that looney Christine O"Donnell from getting elected and trumped the other Republican candidate, to boot! I guess she was a gift.
    Looney? Hey Snarky, I don't believe the GOP elected you.

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    And, you are right, they are not my mother's GOP - they are a bunch of morons that are going to take the country over the cliff thinking they are doing what is right. They all cater to the rich - it is just unbelievable that conservatives are not able to see it - I'm sure not all conservatives are rich.
    Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha !Ha!

    You are an absolute stitch!

    Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha !Ha!
    *snicker*

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •