Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    if that's true, we need only look at republican rule to see republicans spent, in john McCain's words, like drunken sailors. Now that is a grand center of gravity.
    That's true.

    You've got borrowers and spenders in Washington debating how much they will continue to borrow and spend.

    No one wants to lend the US money so they are now lending it to themselves.

    It seems clear that while many Americans claim they want fiscal responsibility, they really don''t. The United States is screwed for many years to come and may never recover to the nation the world once knew.

    Despite the greatest armies in the world, with stockpiles of nuclear weapons, the United States couldn't protect themselves from within. Now they are turning on each other, as well as their grandchildren (those who survive the astounding abortion rates anyway) because they couldn't behave like responsible adults. The once great United States, like Britain, will become a common study of how democracies perish.
    Last edited by Grant; 07-16-11 at 03:37 PM.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    However, I still think there is a disconnect to people wanting services but not wanting to do the things required to pay for them.
    Which is when asked whether they'd choose to cut their services or raise their taxes, they prefer to cut.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The question asked in the poll you reference is: "As part of legislation to raise the debt ceiling, should congress and the president raise taxes?" which is worded in such a way that it is sure to get a low number.

    Another poll with some what more telling numbers: On Deficit, Americans Prefer Spending Cuts; Open to Tax Hikes

    The question: "as you may know, Congress can reduce the federal budget deficit by cutting spending, raising taxes, or a combination of the two. Ideally, how would you like to see Congress attempt to reduce the federal budget deficit(and the five options are rotated here)".

    The results:

    Only with spending cuts: 20 %
    Mostly with spending cuts 30 %
    Equally with spending cuts and tax increases: 32 %
    Mostly with tax increases: 7 %
    Only with tax increases: 4 %

    That is 73 % that favor some tax increases. By the way, this is the poll that Obama took his number from, but he just subtracted the 20 % who said spending cuts only from 100 %, which is inaccurate.
    Bad poll question. It doesn't even have an option that describes the Republican position. Ask them about an approach that mixes spending cuts and increased revenue without tax increases and I bet the support for taxes evaporates.

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So 82% (Or 89% if I use Obama Math) of the Country feels that Spending cuts should be as much the focus if not more the focus of this issue than tax hikes. And 50% of American's feel like it should be significantly dealt with with spending cuts

    And yet Obama's plan is to cut a few trillion out over more than TEN YEARS in a horribly backloaded system that is not guaranteed to even happen a few years from now but to jack up taxes on a number of individuals immediately.

    Yeah, his funky math may've been relatively correct regarding an specifically poll, but even then the numbers he's quoting don't exactly jive with the proposal he's putting forth.

    Tax hikes IMMEDIATELY and spending cuts over more than a decades worth of time that are horribly back loaded is not "EQUALLY" with spending cuts and tax increases, that's mostly with tax increases. Congratulations Obama, 82% (Or 89% using your Math) of American's disagree with your approach. You would however fit right in with the diminutive dim wit that runs the local football team, your plan is a wonderful mimic to the contracts he shoves out at people. Come to think of it, he believes you can just throw money at **** and fix problems too.
    Your extending it to far past what I said. I was simply pointing out the flaws with MrV's post. You know, just as I do, that I disagree with the plan Obama proposes.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Bad poll question. It doesn't even have an option that describes the Republican position. Ask them about an approach that mixes spending cuts and increased revenue without tax increases and I bet the support for taxes evaporates.
    How are you raising revenue then?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Which is when asked whether they'd choose to cut their services or raise their taxes, they prefer to cut.
    With words, not actions. There actions are that they will spend, always have. So, do you judge a man by what he says, or what he does?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That's true.

    You've got borrowers and spenders in Washington debating how much they will continue to borrow and spend.

    No one wants to lend the US money so they are now lending it to themselves.

    It seems clear that while many Americans claim they want fiscal responsibility, they really don''t. The United States is screwed for many years to come and may never recover to the nation the world once knew.

    Despite the greatest armies in the world, with stockpiles of nuclear weapons, the United States couldn't protect themselves from within. Now they are turning on each other, as well as their grandchildren (those who survive the astounding abortion rates anyway) because they couldn't behave like responsible adults. The once great United States, like Britain, will become a common study of how democracies perish.
    I like to be more optomistic than this, but I mostly agree with you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There (sic) actions are that they will spend, always have. So, do you judge a man by what he says, or what he does?
    First Read - Ryan budget plan passes House; only 4 GOP reps vote no

    6.2 tril is a lot of action

    remember?

    on the other hand, barack the slasher promised to cut the deficit in half, his team promised unemployment would cap at 8% and be down to about 6.5 by now...

    judge away, judy

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    First Read - Ryan budget plan passes House; only 4 GOP reps vote no

    6.2 tril is a lot of action

    remember?

    on the other hand, barack the slasher promised to cut the deficit in half, his team promised unemployment would cap at 8% and be down to about 6.5 by now...

    judge away, judy
    Interesting that this "news" article only got the opinion of one side on how this will be tackled going forward? No statement from someone working to replace (D) congressmen to offset the one opinion they did get?

  10. #40
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

    Passing a bill that is dead on the water is not doing anything.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •