Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 455

Thread: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

  1. #61
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    And? They will regardless of how I pray, wouldn't you think? Nevermind the fact that tornado alley is involved.


    At least try to keep them in OK, we don't need any here in KS.

  2. #62
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Why do we even care who or what people believe in?
    The thing is, we dont care what you believe in. However, i get to choose to agree or pick-apart your belief system because i can. Just like you can do that same of mine or lack of.
    If i was your neighbor, and everyday at 1PM i placed a 15' ladder on top of my home and yelled "help me, the have me surrounded", you would either think crazy or silly. For all you know, this could be my form or religion. Kinda weird,huh?
    Last edited by madman; 07-15-11 at 02:02 PM.

  3. #63
    Advisor SlackMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    02-02-12 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Why do we even care who or what people believe in? People are allowed to believe and practice as they see fit. So long as they aren't infringing upon the rights of others, they should do as they like. So people believe in god, who cares? So the governor of OK is asking people to pray for rain, what's the big f'n deal? He ain't making me go to Church. He ain't trying to force me to believe. My disbelief is still firmly intact.

    I think some people are just making an mountain out of a mole hill with this issue. Calm down.
    I've very calm and not at all upset. This prayer doesn't upset me.

    The question isn't if it's a "big deal" or not. It's whether or not it violates the constitution.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackMaster View Post
    History does not make something right.

    See Marsh v. Chambers (1983)

    "Standing alone, historical patterns cannot justify contemporary violations of constitutional guarantees..."

    Walz v. Tax Commission of the state of New York (1970)

    "No one acquires a vested or protected right in violation of the constitution by long use, even when that span of time covers our entire national existence and indeed predates it."

    By that same logic one could have argued that slavery was okay because we've been doing it for so many years.
    You say it's wrong. This was started with the Founders. Obviously they felt otherwise. They didn't ban slavery but yet continued to practice it.

  5. #65
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackMaster View Post
    Agreed, but whether or not the earth is round is a falsifiable proposition. God on the other hand... isn't. (If anyone would like to give a falsifiable definition for their god, I'm all ears).

    Also, until those making the claim for their god meet their burden of proof, those who do not believe are fully justified in doing so.
    So the flat-earthers were correct until the round-earthers proved them wrong.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #66
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    That was a little rude. Until you've walked that road you're just speculating.
    I have the proverbial tshirt. The only value in AA is the group therapy, which is countered by the higher power/po wittle me i have a disease bs. No, you have a behavior and impulse control problem. By not drinking you are demonstrating that you do have power over it. There is absolutely no reason that you need to walk the line on alcohol. It leads you too bad places, quit. That simple.

  7. #67
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You say it's wrong. This was started with the Founders. Obviously they felt otherwise. They didn't ban slavery but yet continued to practice it.
    They also said a black person was only 3/5 of a person. The Founders were after all, only people, not deities.

  8. #68
    Advisor SlackMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    02-02-12 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You say it's wrong. This was started with the Founders. Obviously they felt otherwise. They didn't ban slavery but yet continued to practice it.
    I'm new here, but it sounds like you're making the argument that slavery is not inherently wrong. Is that right? I hope not.

    My post was meant to refute the previous poster's assertion that prayer is okay because congress has been doing it every morning.

    As the court rulings I cited back up, the notion that something is "okay to do because we've always done it that way" is flawed logic.

  9. #69
    Advisor SlackMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    02-02-12 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So the flat-earthers were correct until the round-earthers proved them wrong.
    Not at all. I'm not saying that atheists are correct either. I'm saying that religious people are the ones making the claim. The burden of proof is on them. Until they meet that burden, I'm justified in not believing their claim.

    Likewise, if atheists make the claim (as some do, but not all) "God does not exist", they'd have to back that claim up.

    Seeing as how god isn't even really clearly defined and not even a falsifiable proposition, I don't know how either side would go about backing up their claim.

  10. #70
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    I have the proverbial tshirt. The only value in AA to me is the group therapy, which is countered by the higher power/po wittle me i have a disease bs in your opinion. No, you have a behavior and impulse control problem. By not drinking you are demonstrating that you do have power over it. There is absolutely no reason that you need to walk the line on alcohol. It leads you too bad places, quit. That simple.
    Your comment was still rude. Not all people can "just quit" like you propose. If something helps someone get through a bad place then good, period. What won't help is people sitting in high and mighty judgement of those who need help.

Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •