Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 455

Thread: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

  1. #301
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,749

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackMaster View Post
    There may be people that make this party line distinction, but I did not.

    Republican, Democrat, other... doesn't matter to me. If you use your office to promote an event whose sole purpose is to promote religion or a specific religion over another specific religion or non-religion... you're in violation of the establishment clause.
    I know! We were literally TRIPPING over the anti Obama(or any other democrat)/anti-religion threads around here. Its insane sometimes!

  2. #302
    Advisor SlackMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    02-02-12 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I know! We were literally TRIPPING over the anti Obama(or any other democrat)/anti-religion threads around here. Its insane sometimes!
    I've stated three times now that it's a violation of the establishment clause REGARDLESS of party lines.

    You're arguing against an argument that I haven't made. I think that's called straw-man fallacy.

    The fact that others may be guilty of this special pleading has nothing to do with the argument that I made. It seems to me like, perhaps you don't want to address my arguments and instead are trying distract attention away from that.

  3. #303
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,323

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You are talking about Obama...right? I agree...that ****ing cretin actually made religous comments and offered prayers at the national prayer breakfast. Im glad to see so many liberals are finally seeing him for what he is. But oh...how you must despise him so...

    Wait...thats not cuz he is black is it? You racist...
    If and when Obama asks American to pray, then you would be comparing apples to apples and I would happily condemn it. As it is, you're reaching and yet again apologizing for the religious right's stupidity. But hey, as you proved so well on the Pray away the Gay thread, that's not virgin territory for you. (no pun intended) The National Prayer Breakfast isn't something I support either by the way. But if Obama prays, he should keep it to himself.

    And who was it that brought up race here?

    Oh that would be you.

  4. #304
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    All prayers are answered but sadly, sometimes the answer is now

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    All prayers are answered but sadly, sometimes the answer is now
    We wish. The answer is sometimes No.

  6. #306
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,323

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Or you can close a can and mind your own buisness.
    Last time I check, I was a taxpayer. The actions of elected officials are "my business"

    And since he has freedom of speech on his side that would be the smartest thing you could do.
    I choose not to bury my head in the sand like you apparently like to do regarding the separation of church and state. Being a blind follower is hardly what I'd consider a "smart thing to do" But hey, lot's of the religious right folks do like to do that..

  7. #307
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,749

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    If and when Obama asks American to pray, then you would be comparing apples to apples and I would happily condemn it. As it is, you're reaching and yet again apologizing for the religious right's stupidity. But hey, as you proved so well on the Pray away the Gay thread, that's not virgin territory for you. (no pun intended) The National Prayer Breakfast isn't something I support either by the way. But if Obama prays, he should keep it to himself.

    And who was it that brought up race here?

    Oh that would be you.
    I havent ever apologized for religion...Ive very directly pointed out mindless leftists hypocrisy. That ANYONE is so completely ****ing stupid to get upset over a governor suggesting people pray (and you must have missed the Obama prayer breakfast speech) puts their own bigotry and intolerance on full display. Its sad...pathetic...but also tragically...very common.

  8. #308
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,897
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Last time I check, I was a taxpayer. The actions of elected officials are "my business"
    Do you live in OK? Texas? If not then you have no say, or buisness, in what thier gov says or does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I choose not to bury my head in the sand like you apparently like to do regarding the separation of church and state. Being a blind follower is hardly what I'd consider a "smart thing to do" But hey, lot's of the religious right folks do like to do that..
    See, this is what happens when you are new to a forum and start assuming crap about people. I've argued against religion more times on this forum than I have argued for it. As I do support separation of church and state. However seperation of church and state does NOT include a govenor asking people to pray. It only applies to laws being made about religion. Here, read the first amendment again and pay attention to the part that I bold...

    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

    No where in there does it state that politicians cannot talk about religion or ask the people they represent to pray.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #309
    Advisor SlackMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    02-02-12 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Do you live in OK? Texas? If not then you have no say, or buisness, in what thier gov says or does.
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but I live in Texas.

    Regardless, to suggest that he can't comment on it, is in my opinion, unfounded. I think they have the right to comment on whatever they want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    See, this is what happens when you are new to a forum and start assuming crap about people. I've argued against religion more times on this forum than I have argued for it. As I do support separation of church and state. However seperation of church and state does NOT include a govenor asking people to pray. It only applies to laws being made about religion. Here, read the first amendment again and pay attention to the part that I bold...

    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

    No where in there does it state that politicians cannot talk about religion or ask the people they represent to pray.
    This argument was made earlier in the thread and refuted. A law does not have to be made for there to be an establishment clause violation. Think "prayer in school". There is plenty of case law to back this up as well.

  10. #310
    Advisor SlackMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    02-02-12 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I havent ever apologized for religion...Ive very directly pointed out mindless leftists hypocrisy. That ANYONE is so completely ****ing stupid to get upset over a governor suggesting people pray (and you must have missed the Obama prayer breakfast speech) puts their own bigotry and intolerance on full display. Its sad...pathetic...but also tragically...very common.
    You've said this four times now. Do you think if you try for a fifth time we'll agree with your opinion?

Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •