Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 455

Thread: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackMaster View Post
    I don't care if private citizens pray, or if a religious leader asks people to pray. But when an government official asks people to pray, that's another issue altogether.

    I'm a firm believer in the separation of church and state. I find this kind of act unconstitutional.
    Oh, ffs. He ASKED. He didn't order. It was a polite request.

  2. #22
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    God called, said he doesn't really like Oklahoma all that much, so he will not interfere with the weather for them.

    Better luck next time.
    Well, it was good enough for the American Indian's praying to the Great Spirit for rain, it should be good enough for Oklahoma-ins and their local / state government.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rev Kros View Post
    An acting Governor whether in Texas or Oklahoma should not use the power of their office to promote religion. This includes asking people to pray for rain or attend a prayer rally.
    Really? I disagree. Oh look! We cancelled each other out. Welcome to the board.

  4. #24
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Well, it was good enough for the American Indian's praying to the Great Spirit for rain, it should be good enough for Oklahoma-ins and their local / state government.
    But he liked the Native Americans, just not enough to offset the others in the state.

  5. #25
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Meh, they can pray for whatever they want. It's a free country.

    Why of course. No one said that they couldnt.

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,615

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    LOL, silly

    'Massive heat wave' on way; Okla. tries prayer - Weather - msnbc.com

    In the thick of the heat wave is Oklahoma where Gov. Mary Fallin asked Oklahomans to pray for rain this Sunday.

    "The power of prayer is a wonderful thing, and I would ask every Oklahoman to look to a greater power this weekend and ask for rain," Fallin said in a news release on Thursday.
    Fallin on Thursday also issued a ban on outdoor burning for the western half of the state because of the extreme drought conditions.

    ---
    Prayer does not work, never has, never will. There is ZERO scientific evidence. it only give people that warm fuzzy feeling.
    There is no scientific evidence because there is no experiment that can successfully collect the data. Unless you think you can devise one.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #27
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    There is no scientific evidence because there is no experiment that can successfully collect the data. Unless you think you can devise one.
    And that's what makes it silly. People having mental conversations with a "being" that has no evidence of it existing, or even a method of gathering data for that matter.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-19-12 @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    72

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Really? I disagree. Oh look! We cancelled each other out. Welcome to the board.
    Thank you for the welcome!

    An elected official has certain influence and power over people similar to a teacher and their students. By promoting religion they are violating the idea of separation of church and state.

    The governors can pray all they want too. The citizens of the state can pray all they want too. A governor cannot stand up and promote religion.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rev Kros View Post
    Thank you for the welcome!

    An elected official has certain influence and power over people similar to a teacher and their students. By promoting religion they are violating the idea of separation of church and state.

    The governors can pray all they want too. The citizens of the state can pray all they want too. A governor cannot stand up and promote religion.
    I'm not willing to yield the point that he did promote religion, BUT: he didn't - not one. That's like saying AA promotes religion. It doesn't. If a chair is your higher power, and it can get you through, then have at it.

  10. #30
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    no it's not.....no one has to follow his request. silly, really.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •