Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 455

Thread: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

  1. #271
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,616

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    So you go with the reasoning that because nature started brush fires without man, man is not capable of startiing brush fires?
    I choose not to be some mindless faith based person believing CO2 emissions must be causing today the same climatological phenomenon observed throughout recorded history.

  2. #272
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I choose not to be some mindless faith based person believing CO2 emissions must be causing today the same climatological phenomenon observed throughout recorded history.
    Me either, I go with the scientific documentation that has shown that reasons for warming in the past are not the forcing in this warming. What factors that created warming in the past have been a force in this warming?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish420 View Post
    theres nothing really wrong with asking people to pray for rain, its just a typical stupid over the top christian conservative (borderline offensive) thing to say. nothing surprising here.
    I don't understand why you would find it offensive. If someone said "wish me well" would that be offensive to you? You can't actually make him "well" but is it really offensive?

  4. #274
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,616

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Me either, I go with the scientific documentation that has shown that reasons for warming in the past are not the forcing in this warming. What factors that created warming in the past have been a force in this warming?
    You faith based people are comical. "sure....climate change has happened naturally throughout history. But what evidence do you have that today isnt actually caused by human beings?"

  5. #275
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You faith based people are comical. "sure....climate change has happened naturally throughout history. But what evidence do you have that today isnt actually caused by human beings?"
    What evidence do you possess that shows it's not caused by aliens? LOL. I have to laugh. "Yes, we have gone through this all down through recorded history (and in evidence left before there was a record) but it's different this time". LOL

  6. #276
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You faith based people are comical. "sure....climate change has happened naturally throughout history. But what evidence do you have that today isnt actually caused by human beings?"
    You science deniers are funny, always bringing up the same tired arguments that have been disproven years ago. Thanks for your personal opinion but I still choose to go with the peer reviewed science that has not been dissented by any scientific organization of national or international standing since 2007.

    What the Science says:

    "A common skeptic argument is that climate has changed naturally in the past, long before SUVs and coal-fired power plants, so therefore humans cannot be causing global warming now. Interestingly, the peer-reviewed research into past climate change comes to the opposite conclusion. To understand this, first you have to ask why climate has changed in the past. It doesn't happen by magic. Climate changes when it’s forced to change. When our planet suffers an energy imbalance and gains or loses heat, global temperature changes.

    There are a number of different forces which can influence the Earth’s climate. When the sun gets brighter, the planet receives more energy and warms. When volcanoes erupt, they emit particles into the atmosphere which reflect sunlight, and the planet cools. When there are more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, the planet warms. These effects are referred to as external forcings because by changing the planet's energy balance, they force climate to change.

    It is obviously true that past climate change was caused by natural forcings. However, to argue that this means we can’t cause climate change is like arguing that humans can’t start bushfires because in the past they’ve happened naturally. Greenhouse gas increases have caused climate change many times in Earth’s history, and we are now adding greenhouse gases to the atmosphere at a increasingly rapid rate.

    Looking at the past gives us insight into how our climate responds to external forcings. Using ice cores, for instance, we can work out the degree of past temperature change, the level of solar activity, and the amount of greenhouse gases and volcanic dust in the atmosphere. From this, we can determine how temperature has changed due to past energy imbalances. What we have found, looking at many different periods and timescales in Earth's history, is that when the Earth gains heat, positive feedbacks amplify the warming. This is why we've experienced such dramatic changes in temperature in the past. Our climate is highly sensitive to changes in heat. We can even quantify this: when you include positive feedbacks, a doubling of CO2 causes a warming of around 3°C.

    What does that mean for today? Rising greenhouse gas levels are an external forcing, which has caused climate changes many times in Earth's history. They're causing an energy imbalance and the planet is building up heat. From Earth's history, we know that positive feedbacks will amplify the greenhouse warming. So past climate change doesn't tell us that humans can't influence climate; on the contrary, it tells us that climate is highly sensitive to the greenhouse warming we're now causing."

    What does past climate change tell us about global warming?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #277
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish420 View Post
    theres nothing really wrong with asking people to pray for rain, its just a typical stupid over the top christian conservative (borderline offensive) thing to say. nothing surprising here.
    I don't understand how this is christian at all.

    He said of all faiths, and higher power.

    Do Muslims believe in a higher power? Do they Pray?
    Do Jews believe in a higher power? Do they Pray?
    Do Hindu folks believe in a higher power? Do they Pray?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #278
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,616

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You science deniers are funny, always bringing up the same tired arguments that have been disproven years ago. Thanks for your personal opinion but I still choose to go with the peer reviewed science that has not been dissented by any scientific organization of national or international standing since 2007.

    What the Science says:

    "A common skeptic argument is that climate has changed naturally in the past, long before SUVs and coal-fired power plants, so therefore humans cannot be causing global warming now. Interestingly, the peer-reviewed research into past climate change comes to the opposite conclusion. To understand this, first you have to ask why climate has changed in the past. It doesn't happen by magic. Climate changes when it’s forced to change. When our planet suffers an energy imbalance and gains or loses heat, global temperature changes.

    There are a number of different forces which can influence the Earth’s climate. When the sun gets brighter, the planet receives more energy and warms. When volcanoes erupt, they emit particles into the atmosphere which reflect sunlight, and the planet cools. When there are more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, the planet warms. These effects are referred to as external forcings because by changing the planet's energy balance, they force climate to change.

    It is obviously true that past climate change was caused by natural forcings. However, to argue that this means we can’t cause climate change is like arguing that humans can’t start bushfires because in the past they’ve happened naturally. Greenhouse gas increases have caused climate change many times in Earth’s history, and we are now adding greenhouse gases to the atmosphere at a increasingly rapid rate.

    Looking at the past gives us insight into how our climate responds to external forcings. Using ice cores, for instance, we can work out the degree of past temperature change, the level of solar activity, and the amount of greenhouse gases and volcanic dust in the atmosphere. From this, we can determine how temperature has changed due to past energy imbalances. What we have found, looking at many different periods and timescales in Earth's history, is that when the Earth gains heat, positive feedbacks amplify the warming. This is why we've experienced such dramatic changes in temperature in the past. Our climate is highly sensitive to changes in heat. We can even quantify this: when you include positive feedbacks, a doubling of CO2 causes a warming of around 3°C.

    What does that mean for today? Rising greenhouse gas levels are an external forcing, which has caused climate changes many times in Earth's history. They're causing an energy imbalance and the planet is building up heat. From Earth's history, we know that positive feedbacks will amplify the greenhouse warming. So past climate change doesn't tell us that humans can't influence climate; on the contrary, it tells us that climate is highly sensitive to the greenhouse warming we're now causing."

    What does past climate change tell us about global warming?
    Oklahoma Dustbowl...drought of 1932. Oklahoma drought of 2011. OMIGOSH. Droughts and climate change which has natural occurred since the beginning of time has suddenly STOPPED occurring naturally! We must dump hundreds of billions into more climate research!!!

    Ummm...you DO know what a drought is right? And that they have occurred naturally in every part of the world? Since like...forever? Nah...you aren't dependent on 'faith'...

  9. #279
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Oklahoma Dustbowl...drought of 1932. Oklahoma drought of 2011. OMIGOSH. Droughts and climate change which has natural occurred since the beginning of time has suddenly STOPPED occurring naturally! We must dump hundreds of billions into more climate research!!!

    Ummm...you DO know what a drought is right? And that they have occurred naturally in every part of the world? Since like...forever? Nah...you aren't dependent on 'faith'...
    Same lame retort as last time??? Still going with your brush fire reasoning? I've already provided peer-reviewed science in rebuttal to your personal opinion. Can't you even come up with something half-way scientific to make a point about to make your post seem even semi-credible?

    You do know what a brush fire is, right? You realize that man starts brush fires too, even though they were historically started by nature?
    Last edited by Catawba; 07-19-11 at 02:59 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #280
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,616

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Same lame retort as last time??? Still going with your brush fire reasoning? I've already provided peer-reviewed science in rebuttal to your personal opinion. Can't you even come up with something half-way scientific to make a point about to make your post seem even semi-credible?

    You do know what a brush fire is, right? You realize that man starts brush fires too, even though they were historically started by nature?
    Yes...the same lame retort to the same mindless...THIS time...by golly THIS time it must be MANMADE!!! We dont care that climate change and drought is a historical occurrence...THIS time...blame the humans!!!

    Every time you post there is like circus music going off in the background.

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •