Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 455

Thread: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

  1. #191
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    LOL what?? How could that possibly prove the existence of God?
    Because Rosanna Rossanna Danna and Father Sarducci after smoking a bone behind the studio decided God existed - and they smoke him... and it was good.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #192
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    The should do a rain dance with the Native Americans as well!
    Oh i forgot thats just silly to dance as a form of prayer...


  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    The should do a rain dance with the Native Americans as well!
    Oh i forgot thats just silly to dance as a form of prayer...
    Sounds like a good idea.

  4. #194
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Praying for rain is a complete waste of time, as is the lawsuit. Because the lawsuit isn't for government action aimed against atheists. If there was something denying atheists their ability to speak, sure it's worthwhile. If it's just something stupid like "I don't want people praying for rain", then it's worthless. Like that one douche of an atheist who sued a church because of its bells. There's nothing here which puts us at more risk, the State is not going to stop upholding laws for atheists because some jerks go into a field and pray for rain. If you could PROVE that point, then maybe the lawsuit would be worthwhile. I can't see anything here which supports your conclusion that it "...certainly chills speech and freedom of religion". I see assumption and supposition; but no proof.
    Strawman. No one is against anyone praying for rain.

    Oklahoma did not elect the governor to lead them in prayer but to execute the laws of the state. It is inappropriate for him use the power of his office to promote the practice of religion.

  5. #195
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    LOL what?? How could that possibly prove the existence of God?
    WTF RU talking about? If God revealed himself or even responded in some observable way that would obviously prove the existence of God. You need that explained to you any further. How much simpler can I make it for you?

  6. #196
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,168

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    WTF RU talking about? If God revealed himself or even responded in some observable way that would obviously prove the existence of God. You need that explained to you any further. How much simpler can I make it for you?
    What could he possibly do to prove that he was God? You seem to be saying that there is something he could do that would have you say, "I have no idea how that could be explained except as an act of God"

    You pretend to know what science is, and yet you're no different than those who looked up at a rainbow 10,000 years ago and said, "I have no idea how that could be explained except as an act of God"

    But thanks for playing.

  7. #197
    User W00ster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    07-16-11 @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    63

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant these fools are when it comes to what the bible actually says.

    There is no need for a prayer group or prayer movement, all that is needed is for ONE -1- person to pray and it will be done according to the bible.

    Matthew, Chapter 7

    7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
    7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
    SAB, John 14

    14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
    14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
    14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
    Now tell me why this doesn't work!

  8. #198
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by W00ster View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant these fools are when it comes to what the bible actually says.

    There is no need for a prayer group or prayer movement, all that is needed is for ONE -1- person to pray and it will be done according to the bible.




    Now tell me why this doesn't work!
    You are misunderstanding what is being said. Jesus says "what you ask in my name." This doesn't mean ending a prayer by saying "in Jesus name." It means praying according to the teachings of Christ and in the will of God. It doesn't say all prayers will be answered with a yes.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #199
    User Brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    07-16-11 @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    149

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Get me out of this state!
    "I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate the grave evils of capitalism, namely through the esablishment of a socialist economy. A planned economy, adjusts production to the needs of the community, and would distribute work to be done among all those able to work and would gurantee a livelihood to every person." - Albert Einstein

  10. #200
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gov. urges Oklahomans to pray for rain

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    And that's what makes it silly. People having mental conversations with a "being" that has no evidence of it existing, or even a method of gathering data for that matter.
    It makes people frightened by the unknown feel more at ease, its sort of like a drug or placebo effect.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •