Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 586

Thread: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

  1. #401
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Really? Where have I done this? Feel free to point them out.
    It's the typical response that you are the only one that can read what is going on and come to a logical conclusion. That we will not default even has the numbers behind it. We take in more than enough money to not default.

    You seem to believe that those with a difference of opinion "simply do not care". On the contrary. I care which is why I do not want the debt limit raised. I would never accuse you of "not caring". You simply have a different opinion. One that I disagree with. Now, if you truely aren't of the type I note, read one of the articles I mention that state that we take in more than enough to not default and tell us why they are wrong.

  2. #402
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,069

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Listen, you smarmy little hack. I don't have burden of proof. I posted the list of accomplishments. Prove that Obama is not responsible.
    ...In February 2010, President Obama formally acknowledged that debt and deficits were potentially fatal problems for the United States. Declaring that “for far too long, Washington has avoided the tough choices necessary to solve our fiscal problems,” Obama appointed a deficit commission to make recommendations about controlling America’s skyrocketing debt. “I’m confident,” the president blustered, “that the commission I’m establishing today will build a bipartisan consensus to put America on the path toward fiscal reform and responsibility. I know they’ll take up their work with the sense of integrity and strength of commitment that America’s people deserve and America’s future demands.”

    They did take up their work in that spirit. The president and his party were another matter. A majority of commission members issued a report in December 2010. Saying, “America cannot be great if we go broke,” the report called for ambitious spending cuts (reducing spending to 21 percent of GDP over the next quarter-century from its current rate of more than 25 percent), dramatic tax reforms, and sweeping changes to entitlement programs, including narrowing eligibility for the wealthy and increasing the retirement age. “The era of debt denial is over and there can be no turning back,” the Bowles/Simpson commission concluded. “In the words of Senator Tom Coburn, ‘We keep kicking the can down the road, and splashing the soup all over our grandchildren.’”

    Members of the Republican House leadership issued a respectful response, demurring on some points: “This is a provocative proposal, and while we have concerns with some of their specifics, we commend the co-chairs for advancing the debate.” Nancy Pelosi, on the other hand, pronounced the proposal “simply unacceptable.”

    The president ignored the report entirely — choosing to douse the grandchildren.

    Unlike Republicans under President Bush, Democrats were in full control of the federal government from January 2009 until January 2011. Despite a 77-seat Democratic majority in the House, an 18-seat Democratic majority in the Senate, and a Democrat in the White House, Congress in 2010 failed to pass a budget for the first time since budget rules were enacted in 1974. Budgets are clarifying. So is the failure to produce one.

    President Obama submitted a proposed budget in February that didn’t come close to accounting for the structural increase in spending his health-care plan would impose forever on the U.S. economy. The Democrat-dominated Senate voted it down 97–0. Two months later, with much fanfare, the president, in a highly tendentious and partisan speech, declared his February budget to be superseded by a new approach to the deficit problem. When members of the House Budget Committee asked Douglas Elmendorf, director of the Congressional Budget Office, to evaluate the president’s “budget framework,” Elmendorf was at a loss: “We don’t estimate speeches. We need much more specificity than was provided in that speech for us to do our analysis.”...

    President Obama’s two chosen chairmen of the deficit commission, Democrat Erskine Bowles and Republican Alan Simpson, lauded the Ryan budget as “a serious, honest, straightforward approach.” The president’s budget, they said, “goes nowhere close.”

  3. #403
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except they don't seem to actually care. This is the exact wrong way to say "I care". What will happen if the US defaults? No one knows for sure. The experts cannot even agree. The people in congress sure as hell do not know. So playing games with the debt increase is not showing they care(hint: I am not claiming that democrats are any better on this, to forestall your trying to make that stupid charge), it's showing a willingness to risk the US economy for political power(again, republicans are not alone in this to forestall your trying to spin that lie about my words).

    Trying to claim "they are now" when everything they are doing in this is showing a complete lack of caring is the saddest attempt at spin ever.
    If the US defaults on its debt, the value of the dollar will decrease to the point where hyper inflation takes place.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #404
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,069

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Really? Where have I done this? Feel free to point them out.
    well.... you do have a tendency to accuse those who disagree with you of lying/dishonesty/etc.; carrying the implicit assumption that all those with intelligence and reason know that you are correct, and must therefore be engaging in falsehood if they don't admit it.

  5. #405
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Listen, you smarmy little hack. I don't have burden of proof. I posted the list of accomplishments. Prove that Obama is not responsible. That's on you. Those accomplishments happened on Obama's watch. Therefore, he gets credit. Just like you give him credit for the bad, he gets credit for the good. Pull your ****ing head from your ass-gape and you might understand that.

    ANd who the **** are you to accuse me of having no job? I've had the same ****ing job for the last 11 years. Now sit down you clueless hack. I'm this close [holding my fingers about a half inch apart - about the size of your dick] to putting your dense ass on ignore.
    Ok, you little ignorant hack, YOU'RE the one who said that he was responsible for those things, I have no burden whatsoever. You said he did them, I say prove it. You can't! You're just pissed that it took me all of 2 seconds to shoot down one of your "accomplishments." Sorry, Obummer is a 1 -termer!!

    Put me on ignore, it would be doing me a favor as I would no longer have to answer to your ignorant, stupid and completely irrelevant posts.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 07-15-11 at 11:23 AM.

  6. #406
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    It's the typical response that you are the only one that can read what is going on and come to a logical conclusion. That we will not default even has the numbers behind it. We take in more than enough money to not default.

    You seem to believe that those with a difference of opinion "simply do not care". On the contrary. I care which is why I do not want the debt limit raised. I would never accuse you of "not caring". You simply have a different opinion. One that I disagree with. Now, if you truely aren't of the type I note, read one of the articles I mention that state that we take in more than enough to not default and tell us why they are wrong.
    Whether we "default" is not so much the issue, as is the effects that can, and in some cases will, happen when we reach a certain point. We probably won't melt down, but this is not to say that there will not be consequences. What and how severe those might be, I freely admit to not knowing, but I also know based on the fact that experts all disagree, that no one really knows for sure. You can claim all you want to claim, but it is still just a guess based on your willingness to believe what supports your pre-assumed guess.

    One of the most dangerous things we can do is assume that because something is what we want to hear, it must be true. Every one does it to an extent, including myself. I do try and question all assumptions however, and you will notice in reading my post history that I use a lot of caveats, alot of disclaimers, and fairly frequently admit that things I would rather not be true, are true.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #407
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    well.... you do have a tendency to accuse those who disagree with you of lying/dishonesty/etc.; carrying the implicit assumption that all those with intelligence and reason know that you are correct, and must therefore be engaging in falsehood if they don't admit it.
    Lying/dishonesty is when you know some one knows something, but refuses to admit it. I know you are a smart guy, so when you ignore fairly elementary facts I either have to change my assumption of you, or assume you intentionally did not admit it. I actually, due to my high opinion of you, hold you to a higher standard than I hold many to.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #408
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Listen, you smarmy little hack.
    Moderator's Warning:
    Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3Tone it down.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #409
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    aug 2: united states defaults on its debt

    aug 3: the world comes to an end

    aug 4: obama turns FIFTY, the big five-oh!

    and YOU can celebrate the president's birthday with him, enjoy the glitz and the gala, for 35000 dollars cash

    Obama hits Chicago for 50th birthday fund-raisers at the Aragon - Lynn Sweet

    party on, mr prez!

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    You can't seriously be this dense. Obama not taking tax hikes off the table is not an unwillingness to compromise. He offered up 4 trillion in cuts. He asked for tax hikes in return. That's called negotiating. Stop being obtuse. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.
    This is laughable.
    The Obama is not willing to compromise on the issue of tax hikes.
    THis is no different than the GOP unwillingness to compromise on tax hikes.
    And yet, you refuse to admit that The Obama is unwilling to compromise.

Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •