Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 586

Thread: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

  1. #201
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    My original post to this effect postulated a 43% cut in all spending, across the board.
    43% cut in SocSec
    43% cut in Medicare
    43% cut in defense spending
    43% cut in...

    Now, a 43% cut in defense spending will give the DoD a budget of about $375B (using FY2009 numbers), the allocation of which will be determined otherwise - so, that may or may not mean the end of our wars.
    OK, fair enough. I'd still like to end our wasteful wars as if we're discussing cutting social programs for OUR people, there should be no way in hell we should spend over a trillion dollars "bringing freedom" to others. I think we could evaluate a lot of things and scrap the ones we don't need and try to preserve those which benefit the American people. If we're this broke, then the rest of the world will just have to take care of themselves for awhile. It's their job anyway, we shouldn't be World Police....or we should get paid for it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think we could evaluate a lot of things and scrap the ones we don't need and try to preserve those which benefit the American people.
    For many things, that's exactly what would happen - various budgets would be looked at and the people in charge of them - sometimes Congres, sometimes not - would have to decide what items to cut and by how much.

    However, certain spending - like entitlements - do not work that way; the only real way to cut spending in them is to reduce everyone's benefit by an equal precentage.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Irrelevant. If the debt ceiling is not raised, then spending -must- be cut to match revenue.
    No program, no entitlement - nothing is above being cut.
    Only a F***ing idiot would support legislation that would do so much harm to so many people!

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Only a F***ing idiot would support legislation that would do so much harm to so many people!
    Sorry that your argument is so poor that you're forced to resort to ad homs.
    When you believe you can have a civil discussion among adults, please let us know.

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: August 1, 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    It will soon. Liquor licenses are not being renewed and bars and taverns are droppping like flies. It's only a matter of time until the drunks go on a rampage. LOL.
    Yup, starting here, our "Minnesota Nice" will be at war with "Where the **** is my brewski!?"

  6. #206
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    In contrast to the almost delusional comments that not raising the debt ceiling would essentially have no major adverse impact being circulated by some media pundits e.g., Mark Levin who described such a situation as a "day of liberation," Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke warned that such a failure would have real consequences. CNBC reported:

    "As a matter of arithmetic, fairly soon after that date there would have to be significant cuts in Social Security, Medicare, military pay or some combination of those in order to avoid borrowing more money," Bernanke said, focusing on areas that could affect key voting blocs ahead of 2012 elections.

    "If, in fact, we ended up defaulting up the debt—or even if we didn't ... it's possible that simply defaulting on our obligations to our citizens might be enough to create a downgrade in credit ratings and higher interest rates for us, which would be counterproductive of course because that makes the deficit worse," he said.
    News Headlines

  7. #207
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    For many things, that's exactly what would happen - various budgets would be looked at and the people in charge of them - sometimes Congres, sometimes not - would have to decide what items to cut and by how much.

    However, certain spending - like entitlements - do not work that way; the only real way to cut spending in them is to reduce everyone's benefit by an equal precentage.
    Yeah, I mean at the same accord we have things like SS and such for a reason. We've seen the poor houses of the Industrial Revolution and didn't want to do that. We decided as a society to fund a base level of living standard for the elderly. While I think that there is a lot we could do to restructure the programs which could save money but not significantly cut into benefits; I would prefer that we look other places first. We could get rid of a lot of stuff first like TSA, end the War on Drugs, end foreign aid, end HLS, significantly reduce the power of the CIA so that it's restricted to strictly intelligence gathering, end all subsidies, etc. While almost all programs will realize a cut; there's plenty to go after first while preserving certain social programs for the most part and keeping in tack our scientific funding and labs and such (which are also necessary).

    And taxes may have to go up at some point. If we are unwilling to cut SS or Medicade and Medicare, then we have to pay for them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #208
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    In contrast to the almost delusional comments that not raising the debt ceiling would essentially have no major adverse impact being circulated by some media pundits e.g., Mark Levin who described such a situation as a "day of liberation," Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke warned that such a failure would have real consequences. CNBC reported:



    News Headlines
    Exactly. I think that many of the people who favor not raising the debt ceiling (or even those who favor a showdown to extract concessions) don't truly understand the consequences. It could result in MORE government spending, because interest rates would increase, adding to the deficit and negating many of the proposed cuts.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, I mean at the same accord we have things like SS and such for a reason. We've seen the poor houses of the Industrial Revolution and didn't want to do that. We decided as a society to fund a base level of living standard for the elderly. While I think that there is a lot we could do to restructure the programs which could save money but not significantly cut into benefits; I would prefer that we look other places first. We could get rid of a lot of stuff first like TSA, end the War on Drugs, end foreign aid, end HLS, significantly reduce the power of the CIA so that it's restricted to strictly intelligence gathering, end all subsidies, etc. While almost all programs will realize a cut; there's plenty to go after first while preserving certain social programs for the most part and keeping in tack our scientific funding and labs and such (which are also necessary).
    That's the point - if you simply cut everything by the same %, then you eliminate the fights over the "sacred cows".
    Cutting FY2009 spendng by 43% leaves $1.8T in revenue - more than we spent in FY2000.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Sorry that your argument is so poor that you're forced to resort to ad homs.
    When you believe you can have a civil discussion among adults, please let us know.
    It it sometimes difficult to not react when a right-winger says something as ignorant as, cut everything by 43%. This is unworkable and you know it. The only reason you have a problem with this is because the president is Obama. Otherwise, you would no doubt sing a different tune,.

    To be so calloused as to be willing to bring so much hardship on so many who have no other source of income is beyond belief, even for a republican! This is exactly what cutting SS checks would do. I think you already know this, but since it probably won't affect you, you don't care!

Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •