Page 120 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2119

Thread: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

  1. #1191
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    false, and anyone who thinks that the rights' push for cutting taxes on the rich is based on an honest belief in economic growth is ignoring the facts.
    Your dismissal without any evidence is pathetic and we have seen all sorts of comments from the welfare socialists on this board proving that their main motivation is to punish the rich or to make the parasites, sloths, and slackers feel better



  2. #1192
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I can't speak to what convinces some and not others, but the fact remains we have seen the economy do well with a high tax rate and poorly with a low tax rate. And the reverse. There appears to be little actual evidence that taxes make any significant difference. It should never be about opinions as much as about what we can show actually happening or has happened.
    that is a sound point so there really is no reason to raise taxes-especially on those who already pay a disproportionate share of the taxes



  3. #1193
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is a sound point so there really is no reason to raise taxes-especially on those who already pay a disproportionate share of the taxes
    Not for job creation, no. But there are reasons, like revenue increase, to raise taxes some. Back to the preBush tax cuts seems reasonable to me.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #1194
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    And, I already have said that I agree with you. I said they were wrong. Is there something else you want me to add?
    But you also said that no one is arguing that tax increases prevent eco growth. My links prove you wrong

    You also said that most economists agree with you. My links prove you wrong.

    Yes, I want you to add that YOU were wrong also
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #1195
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    There's certainly a debate (as with much of economics) but most have reached the conclusion that sufficient evidence exists to hold to the theory that increasing taxes would hurt the economy, at least in the short term.
    There is no debate on what grows the economy, and it's only the economic rightwingers who believe that tax increases hurt the economy.

    And I don't think I didn't notice that you changed your argument by adding the words "at least in the short term"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #1196
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not for job creation, no. But there are reasons, like revenue increase, to raise taxes some. Back to the preBush tax cuts seems reasonable to me.
    \on everyone or just those rich people who already pay 40% of the income tax?



  7. #1197
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Nope, they say they hurt growth. Again, not the same thing. To say that tax increases prevent growth is to imply that an increase will result in a recessions or at best, zero growth. Nobody is making that claim.
    No, they said they prevent growth. I posted a list of links to rightwingers making that claim
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #1198
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    There is no debate on what grows the economy, and it's only the economic rightwingers who believe that tax increases hurt the economy.

    And I don't think I didn't notice that you changed your argument by adding the words "at least in the short term"
    that is silly. high taxes have never been proven to grow the economy



  9. #1199
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    \on everyone or just those rich people who already pay 40% of the income tax?
    I'm ok with everyone, but would not object to one more targeted, as those you speak of are not doing badly either way. Like me, they would hardly notice it at all.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1200
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama: No Deal Without Tax Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    With an analysis that simplistic, I don't know why you both analyze at all. It's like saying "we've seen smokers live very long lives and non smokers live very short lives, and we've seen smokers live short lives and non smokers live long lives, therefore there's no evidence smoking makes any difference on one's lifespan."
    Yes, your analysis, which includes no real world data, is far more complex and sophisticated. And I think I know why you don't bother analying real world data at all.

    And you do know that scientists have a lot more info about smoking than "some people who smoke live a long time, and some don't. And some who don't smoke live a long time, and some don't" don't you? If you think that's all they considered when concluding that smoking causes cancer, then your knowledge of smoking risks is comparable to your knowledge of economics
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •