Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 771

Thread: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

  1. #481
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What is best for you, sure. Something that just affects you, absolutely that should be your decision and your decision alone. But this is something that affects everybody. When something affects other people, then we need to resolve it together.
    Okay. Since everything we all do is intermingled with everybody else then we have to have a central government to hire people to make decisions for us? Is that your argument?

    You're just being silly now. Comparing phasing out inefficient lightbulbs strikes you as the USSR? Come on man. Get real.
    The environmental movement gives statists (yes, liberals, socialists, communists, Marxists...) their best chance at domination. They already have you. See? That was easy.

  2. #482
    User satnightpoly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Last Seen
    01-25-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    71

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    You can breath in poisons you know. Misterveritis if this is all a hoax, please provide some evidence that is from reputable climate scientists, not propagandists.
    Yeah I blog... shamless self promotion in 3..2..1..
    www.saturdaynightpolitics.com
    Be Informed! Be Active! Be Empowered!

  3. #483
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    If the new technology is actually better people will use it. How many here still light their houses with a candle or an oil lamp? The government didn't have to make either one illegal.

  4. #484
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by satnightpoly View Post
    You can breath in poisons you know. Misterveritis if this is all a hoax, please provide some evidence that is from reputable climate scientists, not propagandists.
    Life expectancy is far longer today than before lightbulbs were invented. Is it as simple as that? No, it isn't but lightbulbs are not some grand killer.

  5. #485
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    And you can mark that day as the day you lost a choice. Maybe not a choice you would have made, but one that you can no longer make.
    I lost the choice to pay more for light bulbs that pollute our environment........ I'm devastated!!!!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #486
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The market? How would the market take environmental damage into account? That's an externality.
    How do you decide anything for yourself? Everything is an externality (to use your word). The market is nothing more than you deciding for you and me deciding for me. If you, for real of goofy reasons, decide that buying a one dollar light bulb will lead to the destruction of the ecosystem, then you are free to seek out the ten dollar light bulb with mercury in it that, in your world view will do no harm. You will choose. And if many of you choose then the market will allocate resources toward products that you will actually buy.

    No other mechanism is as effective, efficient nor provides as much good for so many people ans a free market made up of people acting in their self interest.
    Last edited by Misterveritis; 12-21-11 at 10:12 PM.

  7. #487
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Like I keep saying, you're free not to believe in science if you don't want to. But you don't make the decisions on behalf of everybody.
    And you are free to continue to believe in man caused global warming but are not free to enslave me because of your silly beliefs.

    So we are right back to free markets where you buy a coal-powered car and I buy one that runs on gasoline. All along we both benefit. You get to feel superior to me because you are saving the Earth (how romantic) and I get an effective form of transportation.

  8. #488
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Indirect relationship. The plant is the center of your concern but you are punishing the user that is most likely has no choices for services because of government involvement in the market.
    Our pollution is a direct factor of our wasteful energy use. So you think you have the "right" to be as wasteful as you choose with our natural resources regardless of the effects of that use on others, is that right?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #489
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    That's fine. You don't have to. But you share that environment with people that do care about it. You don't get to impose your will on other people just because you don't care about the environment or understand the implications of damaging it.
    I am not sharing anything. Liberals do that.

    Nor am I damaging the environment when I consume energy. Liberals do that too. There is no damage and there are no implications. If you believe otherwise you are free to make choices for you that are in line with your beliefs. I am fine with that.

    What you don't get to do, at least not without a fight, is to control me and enslave me.

  10. #490
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Energy Secretary Steven Chu defends light bulb standards as GOP seeks repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    None. Screwing up light bulbs is a job for General Electric and the Congress.

    I just bought six replacement bulbs for the six I bought five months ago. Those bulbs are guaranteed to last two years, as long as you don't actually turn them on.So including today's purchase I have spent one hundred dollars plus to buy twelve, not very good light bulbs --for one year's worth of light. I hate Congress.
    what kind of bulbs costs $8 each and where are you buying them?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •