Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 91

Thread: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

  1. #81
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Now, where in the hell did you get that from?
    White House Changes Military Condolence Letter Policy VOA Breaking News

    In the past the military had not sent out condolence letters for suicides because authorities feared recognizing such deaths would encourage more suicides.
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...e-letters.html

    The decision reverses a longstanding policy that had been implemented based on fears in some military circles that recognizing such deaths would encourage more suicides.
    Last edited by sangha; 07-07-11 at 11:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #82
    Student Marshabar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    11-09-13 @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    293

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The military isn't to blame for these troops losing their marbles and offing themselves.

    To answer the question, as to why the military didn't send condolence letters, it's because suicide is considered cowardice and the military doesn't reward cowardice, or any other substandard behavior. Soldiers who commit suicide dishonor themselves, their unit and their service.
    Well that is certainly a good description of the tradition, apdst. Suicide has been kept in the realm of taboo by most western cultures I think.

    I do think that since tradition is being broken in our military where winning is no longer the goal there is bound to be terrible confusions for soldiers trained to fight and win. We have a president, you know, who doesn't like the *wince* word "victory." So arrogant. . . so barbaric. . . Better send the soldiers to make friends.

    I'm sure he preferrs T-ball to baseball too so that every child has a chance to hit the ball.

    "It's not surprising, then, he gets bitter, he clings to golf clubs or basketballs or antipathy to white people who aren't like him or anti-American sentiment or anti-capitalist sentiment as a way to explain his frustrations." ~ Helianthus

  3. #83
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences


  4. #84
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes, someone did:
    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Again, "Probably partially to blame" is not "omg, military, it's all your fault"
    See the explanation that I think pretty much every one else understood except you? A better way to put what she said, and possible even closer to being what she meant, was that the stress of being in the military and all that goes with it was probably partly to entirely part of the reason the suicide happened. it's not that the military did something wrong, but that does not change that being in the military, especially in the last 10 years or so, is a high stress environment that can lead to people committing suicide.

    I don't think she meant her comment as "OMGzorz, the military is so terrible, they are making our young people kill themselves", but that she was acknowledging the role being in the military might have in people killing themselves.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    The word victory has little meaning in a situation where there is little to win. We're nation building in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and we have spent a lot of time refereeing in Iraq. But any actual fight where winning was relevent was over early in both countries.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #86
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, whom is your source quoting? Anyone?
    Who is your source? Ether?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #87
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    See the explanation that I think pretty much every one else understood except you? A better way to put what she said, and possible even closer to being what she meant, was that the stress of being in the military and all that goes with it was probably partly to entirely part of the reason the suicide happened. it's not that the military did something wrong, but that does not change that being in the military, especially in the last 10 years or so, is a high stress environment that can lead to people committing suicide.

    I don't think she meant her comment as "OMGzorz, the military is so terrible, they are making our young people kill themselves", but that she was acknowledging the role being in the military might have in people killing themselves.
    Right, which means that there was probably something wrong with those soldiers, before they enlisted. Their time in the service only brought it to the surface.

  8. #88
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Right, which means that there was probably something wrong with those soldiers, before they enlisted. Their time in the service only brought it to the surface.
    If they died from a cancer that was present before they joined the military, you'd be singing a different tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #89
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    If they died from a cancer that was present before they joined the military, you'd be singing a different tune.
    Yeah, because they obviously didn't make the concious decision to kill themselves.

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House to lift ban on military suicide condolences

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    any actual fight where winning was relevent was over early in both countries
    don't tell it to the survivors of the thousand americans who have died in afghanistan since obama ESCALATED

    iCasualties: Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Casualties

    don't tell it to the SEVENTY THOUSAND he has committed to OBAMA'S WAR past january, 2014

    afghanization, anyone?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •