Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 534

Thread: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

  1. #321
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    OMG! has it come to this? We need a law to force parents to report when their child is missing? Are you kidding me? This is really logic on its head, much like Geraldo last night proclaiming that Casey was a good mother.

    j-mac
    After this case, I think we do need that law.

  2. #322
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    After this case, I think we do need that law.
    Sadily that may be so...Man, how deeply have we fallen into the "me" society. When it gets to the point where someone says that a mother that fails to report her own child missing for 31 days while she hits the club scene and lives it up....My heart weeps for that little girl.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #323
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,443

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Wrong there is evidence somebody tried to cover it up. There is no evidence how she died or why

    Actually, there is evidence of how she died, and why. Hell, you reject the evidence for evolution, not surprising there are issues with evidence in your estimation.

    The chloroform, the car, the 31 days unreported, the partying, the tape/bag, the hair, the cover up, the diary.
    It's evidence. All evidence points to Casey murdering her daughter. No evidence points any other way. It's plausible to fantasize that she got a boyfriend to do it and she was just an accomplice, or that her father accidentally did it and they are just covering up. But those have no far less evidence to support them. Hence, you go with the evidence.

  4. #324
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Actually, there is evidence of how she died, and why. Hell, you reject the evidence for evolution, not surprising there are issues with evidence in your estimation.

    The chloroform, the car, the 31 days unreported, the partying, the tape/bag, the hair, the cover up, the diary.
    It's evidence. All evidence points to Casey murdering her daughter. No evidence points any other way. It's plausible to fantasize that she got a boyfriend to do it and she was just an accomplice, or that her father accidentally did it and they are just covering up. But those have no far less evidence to support them. Hence, you go with the evidence.
    The chloroform and the tape are the only evidence of murder and that's not enough at all.

  5. #325
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The chloroform and the tape are the only evidence of murder and that's not enough at all.
    They suggest murder, but don't confirm it.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #326
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,443

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Learn to read
    leaving kid in car = neglect
    Not reporting it = not neglect.
    Actually florida law says it's a misdemeanor crime. Not sure why you're referring to "neglect"
    FHP: Florida Law

    If you want to argue neglect, the primary care giver leaving a kid for 31 days who was killed, is trivially willful act resulting in physical harm. In some states that have to literally spell out the fact that abandonment is similarly punishable, all depends on how you interpret it.



    It's a crime to murder someone
    It's not a crime if you don't confess to it.
    Strawman. The argument is that leaving a child for 31 days is both:
    Neglect (its abandonment, a willful act that resulted in death)
    Evidence towards the murder charge i.e. covering up her murder as the theory goes.

    What is sick is thinking that people have no right to refuse to testify against themselves. You should read the constitution
    I never claimed that she had no right to refuse that. Get it straight, and quote me next time, because you mispreprsented my position twice in a row.

    She can refuse all she likes. If the evidence without further input from her, evidences no one but her for the death of her daughter, so be it. If she wants to testify that something else occured (presumably we call this evidence to the contrary, and how it's weighed the jury decides), so be it.

    You are still getting it wrong, just like the jury.
    Last edited by Mach; 07-06-11 at 02:40 PM.

  7. #327
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    They suggest murder, but don't confirm it.
    forensics dept completely screwed up this exam as well.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #328
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Actually florida law says it's a misdemeanor crime. Not sure why you're referring to "neglect"
    FHP: Florida Law

    If you want to argue neglect, the primary care giver leaving a kid for 31 days who was killed, is trivially willful act resulting in physical harm. In some states that have to literally spell out the fact that abandonment is similarly punishable, all depends on how you interpret it.
    How about "Depraved Indifference"?

    To constitute depraved indifference, the defendant's conduct must be 'so wanton, so deficient in a moral sense of concern, so lacking in regard for the life or lives of others, and so blameworthy as to warrant the same criminal liability as that which the law imposes upon a person who intentionally causes a crime. Depraved indifference focuses on the risk created by the defendant’s conduct, not the injuries actually resulting.

    Depraved Indifference Law & Legal Definition
    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #329
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    The noise this has generated is amazing. If you followed the trial at all then you can see where the state failed to make a case. They also overcharged the case.

    A key ingredient, cause of death, was and still is missing.

    Yes, it is terrible the child died. Should we then compound it by ignoring a thing called "reasonable doubt" as many are suggesting? The system worked. Lazy prosecution and grandstanding didn't.

    A jury of 12 people weren't convinced by evidence presented. They were isolated from the media circus surrounding the trial for obvious reasons.

    In the American Justice System there is a simple phrase that places the burden of proof on the prosecutor.

    "Innocent until proven guilty."

    Whether she did it or not is not the debate, the debate is that the prosecutor failed to remove reasonable doubt. They offered no cause of death and no motive. Without those no reasonable jury could in good conscience return a guilty verdict.

    In criminal law, Blackstone's formulation (also known as Blackstone's ratio or the Blackstone ratio) is the principle: "better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer", expressed by the English jurist William Blackstone in his Commentaries on the Laws of England, published in the 1760s.

    Our laws are actually based on Blackstones common law.

  10. #330
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,443

    Re: Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Reaches Verdict

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    They suggest murder, but don't confirm it.
    Suggest, and not confirms? What do you mean by that? I'm dying over here.
    All evidence 'suggests' a particular theory is correct or incorrect. It is up to interpretation whether or not you believe it's sufficient, or not.
    For example, even hard science is considered "falsifiable", that is, there is no 100% confirmation even about something as obvious as gravity.
    Wkipedia notes this!:
    However, in an important sense all evidence is merely circumstantial because on no evidence can prove a fact in the absence of one or more inference
    In the absence of other evidence, the kid was murdered. Tape, bag, lies, chloroform, 31 days, swamp. You think that evidence points to something other than murder?

Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •