Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Profits thrive in weak recovery

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Profits Thrive in Weak Recovery - WSJ.com

    While the U.S. economy staggers through one of its slowest recoveries since the Great Depression, American companies are poised to report strong earnings for the second quarter—exposing a dichotomy between corporate performance and the overall health of the economy.
    So tax cuts on corporations are the answer right? Obviously if we give corporations less of a tax burden, they will have even more enormous profits, so they can hire more workers, right? Yeah, no.

  2. #2
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Profits Thrive in Weak Recovery - WSJ.com



    So tax cuts on corporations are the answer right? Obviously if we give corporations less of a tax burden, they will have even more enormous profits, so they can hire more workers, right? Yeah, no.
    Profits are up because they have cut their workforces... that profits then will go down because no one has work to buy their products is another matter for later on
    PeteEU

  3. #3
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Profits Thrive in Weak Recovery - WSJ.com



    So tax cuts on corporations are the answer right? Obviously if we give corporations less of a tax burden, they will have even more enormous profits, so they can hire more workers, right? Yeah, no.
    Those damned dirty corporations should be punished for being successful!
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,783

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Profits are up because they have cut their workforces... that profits then will go down because no one has work to buy their products is another matter for later on
    Wait a minute. A business needs to have customers with money to sell things to!?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Those damned dirty corporations should be punished for being successful!
    Straw man. Nobody suggested that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Geez... Another class warfare thread.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Wait a minute. A business needs to have customers with money to sell things to!?



    Straw man. Nobody suggested that.
    Not a strawman, mocking the OP. You toss strawman out at every turn, you should change your name to "Scarecrow".
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #7
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    No. They shouldn't be punished. They just don't deserve more tax cuts, because obviously it's not going to cause them to hire more if they are earning record profits.

  8. #8
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Geez... Another class warfare thread.
    So this is class warfare?


  9. #9
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Profits Thrive in Weak Recovery - WSJ.com



    So tax cuts on corporations are the answer right? Obviously if we give corporations less of a tax burden, they will have even more enormous profits, so they can hire more workers, right? Yeah, no.
    I sure would like see what companies are increasing their profits .. some I would expect to .. gas … grocery store chains, walmart .. and even banks to an extent would be a few that should be showing higher profits.

    If you just remember one simple principle of business … profits are figured on a percentage of retail prices … it's easy to understand that inflated prices on the retail end …. will mean higher profits gas is a prime example .. lets say the gas companies make 10% per gallon of gas sold .. if gas was selling for $3.50 today .. and two years ago .. it was selling for $1.75 wouldn't the profits be double ?

    Now please understand I'm not defending big business .. just trying to start a reasonable discussion. Business is not hiring, that is pretty much a fact .. and I'm not denying that point, but increasing profits because of inflated prices doesn't put any need to hire, they aren't necessarily selling more product an in some case selling less.

    What might be a better approach to this problem would be a sit down discussion with business, to find out why they aren't expanding, and work on those things. IMO it has nothing to do with taxes, and more to do with to many things left up in the air with no solid answers … The tax cuts that were extended until 2012. I believe we would have been better served doing one of two things .. either letting them expire and end the discussion, or extending them permanently. Either case allows business to make one, five and 10 year projections with a fixed cost of taxes. The health care bill is the same .. either withdraw it from the court system good or bad as it might be … or repeal it .. as it stands no business knows what it's projected health care costs are going to be.

    These are just my opinion of what the problems could be … but the more important matter is to stop demonizing them .. .and realize that we need them to begin creating jobs. While most agree that the economy is driven by middle class spending, we must also understand that the jobs that the middle class have … or can get comes from the business community and that both are needed to drive our economy forward. One thing is certain ... without job creation, the middle class cannot get larger, and buy more to create the need for business to expand .
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 07-05-11 at 03:02 PM.

  10. #10
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,927
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    I suspect the OP is saying that profits have gone up, but the trickle isn't coming down. I also suspect that the OP is trying to suggest that allowing these businesses to have their taxes lowered is not actually as helpful to the country as it is portrayed in the popular mainstream media promoting the tax breaks.
    I may be wrong.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •