Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Profits thrive in weak recovery

  1. #51
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the current rate is uncompetitive.

    however, many of the current loopholes should be addressed / eliminated.
    Such as?.............

  2. #52
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    While also removing all loopholes, deductions, and subsidies...
    All deductions? That's crazy. There's absolutely no way a company can survive under that kind of tax code. Tax a company based on their gross revenue? That's insane.

  3. #53
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    This, of course, is yet another example of you asking a different question and pretending this was your line of questioning all along when your argument is shut down.

    You do this often.
    I've been asking the same question in this thread, as well as the other threads ta-ta'n about corporations making money.

  4. #54
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    All deductions? That's crazy. There's absolutely no way a company can survive under that kind of tax code. Tax a company based on their gross revenue? That's insane.
    The entire corporate rate would be reduced significantly though. Not like it'd stay at 35% and all the deductions would be removed.

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Such as?.............
    some of the common loophole strategies are outlined here :

    Google 2.4% Rate Shows How $60 Billion Lost to Tax Loopholes - Bloomberg

  6. #56
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Profits Thrive in Weak Recovery - WSJ.com



    So tax cuts on corporations are the answer right? Obviously if we give corporations less of a tax burden, they will have even more enormous profits, so they can hire more workers, right? Yeah, no.
    If the goal is to encourage these companies to take their strong earnings someplace else, then by all means, let's continue the highest tax burden policy.

    I'd like to note that the article says much of this comes from sales in emerging markets...
    It amuses me to see so many dems disgusted over what has been one of the few bright spots to come from Obama's economic policies.

    Carry on, dimmycrats.
    Last edited by Taylor; 07-07-11 at 07:55 AM.

  7. #57
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It amuses me to see so many dems disgusted over what has been one of the few bright spots to come from Obama's economic policies.
    I am gonna go out on a limb and stake out some high-risk territory and say that the text of the OP doesn't support your conclusion stated above.

    Maybe if we both re-read it we can see if the OP is disgusted that these companies have made a profit or if the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    ...is saying that profits have gone up, but the trickle isn't coming down...[and] is trying to suggest that allowing these businesses to have their taxes lowered is not actually as helpful to the country as it is portrayed in the popular mainstream media promoting the tax breaks.
    I may be wrong.

  8. #58
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    some of the common loophole strategies are outlined here :

    Google 2.4% Rate Shows How $60 Billion Lost to Tax Loopholes - Bloomberg
    Thanks for a great article .. it's a good read for all of us, hard to understand in some places for a laymen like myself .. but shows how big companies can get around the tax of not only the US but other countries as well . .I think anyone would find it hard to defend the removal of that benefit from any company.

    I found something else in this article as well ..

    Treasury officials, who estimated the policy change would raise $86.5 billion in new revenue over the next decade, dropped it after Congress and Treasury were lobbied by companies, including manufacturing and media conglomerate General Electric Co., health-product maker Johnson & Johnson and coffee giant Starbucks Corp., according to federal disclosures compiled by the non-profit Center for Responsive Politics.

    I think this only underlines our need to get lobbyist out of the government . . IMO we have to remove all funding of elections … except that .. that is done by the citizens of this country.

  9. #59
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Profits thrive in weak recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Thanks for a great article .. it's a good read for all of us, hard to understand in some places for a laymen like myself .. but shows how big companies can get around the tax of not only the US but other countries as well . .I think anyone would find it hard to defend the removal of that benefit from any company.

    I found something else in this article as well ..

    Treasury officials, who estimated the policy change would raise $86.5 billion in new revenue over the next decade, dropped it after Congress and Treasury were lobbied by companies, including manufacturing and media conglomerate General Electric Co., health-product maker Johnson & Johnson and coffee giant Starbucks Corp., according to federal disclosures compiled by the non-profit Center for Responsive Politics.

    I think this only underlines our need to get lobbyist out of the government . . IMO we have to remove all funding of elections except that .. that is done by the citizens of this country.
    It's an insidious issue that benefits those with the power to change it. The lobbies and lobbyists should be forced to lobby the electorate instead of the govt directly.

    You might find these concepts interesting

    rational ignorance

    rational irrationality
    I may be wrong.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •