Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 512

Thread: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

  1. #371
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Nonsense. Obama has increased the deficit more than every other President combined! Now, if you too 100% of earnings in this country you may not be able to cure it. So your post is just talking point silliness.

    j-mac
    False claim!

    The War in Iraq, the War on Terror, TARP and the auto bailout were GWB (not to mention both tax cut packages where atleast one was a direct federal stimulus to consumers via paper check). The Stimulus, unemployment comp, Libya - Obama. I'm sure if you really did the math you'd find the GWB has added significantly to our national debt far and above Obama.

  2. #372
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’


  3. #373
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    False claim!

    The War in Iraq, the War on Terror, TARP and the auto bailout were GWB (not to mention both tax cut packages where atleast one was a direct federal stimulus to consumers via paper check). The Stimulus, unemployment comp, Libya - Obama. I'm sure if you really did the math you'd find the GWB has added significantly to our national debt far and above Obama.
    This has got to be among the most ridiculous statements I have read lately. TARP was paid back, Iraq, Afghanistan are a drop in the bucket compared to the $1.5 Trillion expenditures that this administration has laid out as far as the eye can see. Now either, you are purposely ignoring Obama's spending, or ignorant to such, but thanks for the laugh.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #374
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    This has got to be among the most ridiculous statements I have read lately. TARP was paid back, Iraq, Afghanistan are a drop in the bucket compared to the $1.5 Trillion expenditures that this administration has laid out as far as the eye can see. Now either, you are purposely ignoring Obama's spending, or ignorant to such, but thanks for the laugh.

    j-mac
    The stimulus package is temporary spending, a third of which were tax cuts (which you guys say doesn't count). The rest of the deficit is almost entirely caused by reduction in revenues due to the recession and the 2001/2003 tax cuts. Why do you guys purposely ignore the temporary part of the temporary spending?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #375
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The stimulus package is temporary spending, a third of which were tax cuts (which you guys say doesn't count). The rest of the deficit is almost entirely caused by reduction in revenues due to the recession and the 2001/2003 tax cuts. Why do you guys purposely ignore the temporary part of the temporary spending?
    It was money down the rat hole. Other that speculation there is no evidence that the expenditure did ANYTHING concrete to help our situation. And the spending continues.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #376
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It was money down the rat hole. Other that speculation there is no evidence that the expenditure did ANYTHING concrete to help our situation. And the spending continues.

    j-mac
    Not sure what you consider concrete. As I always say, the government can't control the economy However, if it prevent jobs from being lost, companies from going under, thus keeping jobs, it would be hard to say it did nothing concrete. I know for a fact money spent here kept jobs in place for a couple of years. Now unless you want to argue that government should take control of business, thus being responsible for hiring and firing, there is not much that really be done.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #377
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure what you consider concrete. As I always say, the government can't control the economy However, if it prevent jobs from being lost, companies from going under, thus keeping jobs, it would be hard to say it did nothing concrete. I know for a fact money spent here kept jobs in place for a couple of years. Now unless you want to argue that government should take control of business, thus being responsible for hiring and firing, there is not much that really be done.
    I disagree, this is the whole "saved jobs" meme that the WH wants us to swallow. There is no metric to determine, other than anecdotal, that jobs were "saved"....

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #378
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I disagree, this is the whole "saved jobs" meme that the WH wants us to swallow. There is no metric to determine, other than anecdotal, that jobs were "saved"....

    j-mac
    Are you really denying the fact that the stimulus kept thousands of public jobs (cops, firefighters, teachers) running during the harshest time of the economy?

  9. #379
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I disagree, this is the whole "saved jobs" meme that the WH wants us to swallow. There is no metric to determine, other than anecdotal, that jobs were "saved"....

    j-mac
    Not true. Jobs here were kept with the money and lost without it. Others report the same. I've given you links before. I realize you don't want to accept it. Even when your peers start threads about ho much those saved jobs cost.

    So, stop with the silliness and admit that while we could have let people lose those jobs, we did in fact save some jobs. And that government doesn't do hiring and firing, and cannot do much more than what was done.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #380
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’


Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •