Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 512

Thread: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

  1. #361
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I see this bit a lot so why do so many pay nothing for all those great things and others pay 100X or more of what they use?
    That "nothing" you keep referring to is "something" in the form of city and state sales and use taxes. Everyone who earns an income no matter how small if it is on your state or the federal taxable income scale pays into the "system" in one way or another.

    Therefore, could you atleast try to keep your argument on one side or the other of the taxaction argument, i.e., local/state taxes or federal? (And just to re-emphasize, the argument has already been made and won I might add as to which side of the political divide called for the tax cuts to the working poor since 2001 and again in 2003. Therefore, I fail to see the relevence of continue down this flawed line of reasoning.)

  2. #362
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Half of the country is, "poor"?
    Which begs the question, "Why hasn't lower taxes generated more jobs?" Again, the Bush tax cuts have been in effect since 2001, revised in 2003, extended in 2010 and still no significant job growth. Yet we keep hearing the argument that tax cuts create jobs! Or is it that they allow moreso for the wealthiest among us to "keep more of what they earn" with many not putting that money back in circulation within the national economy.

    I see both sides of the argument, but IMO what we have here is "forced" conditions for stagflation. Few new jobs; unemployment hovers; no new revenue streams, incomes remain flat; little to no consumer spending = stagflation.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Aren't you some sort of teacher? Are you having problems with the structure of the sentence? R-E-C-I-P-I-E-N-T! Meaning ofcourse that they are getting money that I pay in, and they don't.

    j-mac
    I didn't ask what the word meant. I asked why you think it is significant. To me, it seems you have lept from they don't pay federal income tax to some complaint about recipients. I want a fuller explianation of this leap and why you think just throwing the term out means something, is siginficant.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #364
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, we are concerned now because Obama is about to destroy this country with his spending.

    j-mac


    That boat sailed long before Obama.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #365
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I would say Obama does want a shut down since he refuses to meet with the GOP
    You have got to be kidding me!?!

  6. #366
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post


    That boat sailed long before Obama.
    Yet somehow Obama's now captain of that same boat...
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #367
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Yet somehow Obama's now captain of that same boat...
    Doesn't matter. Elect someone else, and the boat will keep sailing alone, only if it is a conservative, the socialist tactic will become the facist tactic. We're nothing if not unoriginal.



    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #368
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, we are concerned now because Obama is about to destroy this country with his spending.

    j-mac
    Another false claim.

    TARP and the auto bailout were GW Bush's spending. The ARRA (Stimulus Bill) was Obama's. Can you name any other spending program the President has authorized since the ARRA?

  9. #369
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Not true they show they are concerned about the out of control spending of Obama. To keep raising the ceiling and not cut spending is hurting our economy
    From USAToday.com:

    In the past half-century, Congress has acted 78 times to raise, extend or revise the debt limit — the amount of money the government can borrow to repay bond holders. The red ink has risen 49 times under Republican presidents, 29 times under Democrats. It's gone up 10 times since 2001.
    Per the graph at the beginning of the article, the debt ceiling has been raised only once since Obama's been in office and that was for the Stimulus Bill.

  10. #370
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, we are concerned now because Obama is about to destroy this country with his spending.

    j-mac
    I'll ask the question again...

    Other than the Stimulus Bill and the Libyan "conflict" and extending unemployment benefits which both Dems and Reps agree where necessary (edit), what other spending has President Obama enacted?

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •