Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 512

Thread: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

  1. #271
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I thought taxes were voluntary? You think the mob has the right to take what is not theirs huh? To what extent?

    j-mac
    Neither is true. Taxes are not voluntary, and we do not allow mobs to take what isn't theirs. We have representation, which is what we wanted from the British (not no taxes). There are rules and laws to follow, but it is not voluntary.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #272
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Neither is true. Taxes are not voluntary, and we do not allow mobs to take what isn't theirs. We have representation, which is what we wanted from the British (not no taxes). There are rules and laws to follow, but it is not voluntary.
    Sorry dude, Harry Reid disagrees with you....

    Jan Helfeld: …if the government is in the business of forcefully taking money from some people in order to provide welfare benefits to others, how will the people whose money is being taken feel about the government?

    Harry Reid: Well, I don’t accept your phraseology. I don’t think we “force” people…

    Helfeld: Taxation is not forceful?

    Reid: Well, no.

    Helfeld: It’s voluntary?

    Reid: In fact, quite to the contrary. Our system of government is a voluntary tax system.

    Helfeld: Oh… if you don’t want to pay your taxes, you don’t have to?

    Reid: Of course you have to pay your taxes, but…

    Helfeld: The government will force you to pay, or they’ll fine you or imprison you. Won’t they?

    Reid: We have a voluntary system. The fact of the matter is, that if when you pay your taxes — you see, in many other countries, it’s not voluntary. For example, in many countries, the government makes sure that your employer takes out every penny. Many countries don’t file income tax returns. Why?

    Are taxes voluntary? Harry Reid says yes! | The Prime Directive
    Next!

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #273
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Sorry dude, Harry Reid disagrees with you....



    Next!

    j-mac
    J, not that it would matter one bit if he did disagree (kind of a stupid argument to start with), but you not trying to undersrtand but merely misrepresent an argument doesn't dismiss anything. We elect representatives to represent us, they do, and we pay what they decide. Try not paying your taxes and let me know what happens.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #274
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    J, not that it would matter one bit if he did disagree (kind of a stupid argument to start with), but you not trying to undersrtand but merely misrepresent an argument doesn't dismiss anything. We elect representatives to represent us, they do, and we pay what they decide. Try not paying your taxes and let me know what happens.
    So you agree that government takes your earned money by force, right?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #275
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Is it selfish to not want to see this country devolve into 190% of GDP spending?

    Is it selfish to stand up and say enough is enough when it comes to this reckless administration and their dictates?

    I don't think so.

    j-mac
    'this reckless administration and their dictates?'...if you are referring to spending, you should apply this to more than just this administration....

  6. #276
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    'this reckless administration and their dictates?'...if you are referring to spending, you should apply this to more than just this administration....
    Amen brother. Amen brother.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #277
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So you agree that government takes your earned money by force, right?

    j-mac
    No. it's not either or. it's nto force because we have representatives. It's us adhereing to our contract, our agreed upon form of government. When did conservatives become so opposed to honoring agreements, be in national or international?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #278
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. it's not either or.
    Look, First you say that you can't get away with not paying taxes, now you say the government doesn't force you to do such....Which is it Joe?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #279
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Look, First you say that you can't get away with not paying taxes, now you say the government doesn't force you to do such....Which is it Joe?

    j-mac
    you are a citizen of this country, you enjoy the benefits of its infrastructure, you drive on its roads, enjoy the use of its water/sewage systems, enjoy the protection of its armed forces(God bless them), enjoy police and fire protection, enjoy the state/national parks.....guess what, these all cost money, which is raised in the form of taxes, local, state, and federal. you, and several others here can piss, bitch and moan all you like about taxes, personally, i think each and everyone of us gets one hell of a deal.

  10. #280
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Republicans Say They’re Open to ‘Revenue Raisers’

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    you are a citizen of this country, you enjoy the benefits of its infrastructure, you drive on its roads, enjoy the use of its water/sewage systems, enjoy the protection of its armed forces(God bless them), enjoy police and fire protection, enjoy the state/national parks.....guess what, these all cost money, which is raised in the form of taxes, local, state, and federal. you, and several others here can piss, bitch and moan all you like about taxes, personally, i think each and everyone of us gets one hell of a deal.

    I see this bit a lot so why do so many pay nothing for all those great things and others pay 100X or more of what they use?



Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •