Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 202

Thread: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds over

  1. #171
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Sandy Springs is basically a suburb of Atlanta. 30328 is a Sandy Springs zip code: Sandy Springs Zip Codes, Area Code, County and more
    Is the addresses given for UPS and Rubbermaid in the incorporated city limits of Sandy Springs or not? Sandy Springs can only benefit from the corporations if the locations are in their city limits paying city taxes. If your point is the employees live there, well their property taxes are low due to the privatization of the city services. The city benefits no more or less than any other citizen living there.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  2. #172
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Is the addresses given for UPS and Rubbermaid in the incorporated city limits of Sandy Springs or not? Sandy Springs can only benefit from the corporations if the locations are in their city limits paying city taxes. If your point is the employees live there, well their property taxes are low due to the privatization of the city services. The city benefits no more or less than any other citizen living there.
    Yes, they are located in Sandy Springs. No, the reason property taxes are low is because even with low taxes, they still bring in large revenues. Sandy Springs is like the highest class suburb of Atlanta. I know a few people who live there and trust me when I say they are not your average people.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #173
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, they are located in Sandy Springs. No, the reason property taxes are low is because even with low taxes, they still bring in large revenues. Sandy Springs is like the highest class suburb of Atlanta. I know a few people who live there and trust me when I say they are not your average people.
    I don't trust any replies without links to back up the assertions. However, it was nice to meet you and debate.

    UPDATE: I finally found a map that shows the city limits of Sandy Springs and you are correct they are in the Sandy Springs City limits.
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 07-02-11 at 07:51 AM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  4. #174
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I seriously doubt that, considering how little I use (I don't drive and even when I have money I tend to live pretty simply and I've never used any public programs), and considering how small the percentage of people who are wealthy is, and the fact that on average all-inclusive there is little difference proportionally between what they pay and what I pay.
    Really, how jobs have you created? In other words, how many taxpayers pay taxes have you created?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #175
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    I don't trust any replies without links to back up the assertions. However, it was nice to meet you and debate.

    UPDATE: I finally found a map that shows the city limits of Sandy Springs and you are correct they are in the Sandy Springs City limits.
    Yes, I am correct. I did look this stuff up, though I knew most of it from acquaintances.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #176
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, I am correct. I did look this stuff up, though I knew most of it from acquaintances.
    I haven't posted much here, but, if I'm wrong I'll always say so. I cut my debating teeth as a labor contract negotiator. I will ask for facts to back up assertions and always admit when I'm wrong and fight tooth and nail when I'm not. It was fun, thanks redress!
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  7. #177
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    These seem like good examples of ways in which government DOESN'T create wealth. Isn't this just taking money from a bunch of people (taxpayers) and handing it to a smaller number of people (companies that extract raw resources)? To that end, it helps to secure an environment where wealth creation can take place, but doesn't itself create wealth.
    The government investing money into something that creates demand for coal, creates demand for coal.... coal mines pop up. Coal becomes more valuable. Owning coal or having coal on your property suddenly means you suddenly own a wealthy creating asset. If the government demands metal and alloys for war equipment, it creates demand in the market place for metal and alloys.... which means steel is valuable.

    It's basic supply and demand economics. If there is no demand for such materials, then there'd be no reason to supply them and those materials would have no value. Supplying materials creates labor demand, coal mines, quarries, etc.

    These are not my idea's. This are John Locke's ideas whose his philosophy inspired the constitution of the USA.

  8. #178
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    As I said, the majority (i.e. most but not all) of our critical infrastructure is privately owned and operated.
    There is a difference between the government owning infrastructure and the government investing in it. The government doesn't own Microsoft, ATT, IBM, etc. But the government played a role in building the basic infrastructure like utility poles for overhead power lines and various other public utilities, and the government maintains the satellites that make it possible for TW, FOX, HBO, etc to broadcast their programs. The government doesn't own all the hospitals in the country, but the government plays a role in containing outbreaks and keeping statistics though the dept of health.

  9. #179
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    In the minds of the left isn't that always what it is about? Taking more from the productive to give to public sector union thugs?
    I hope the Republicans will stick to their guns. No increase in taxes or in tax rates. It is time for the unproductive to figure out life on their own.
    Yes. Let children teach themselves and everyone put out their own fires. **** 'em all!

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

    File this under "And he should know,"

    ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Mark Dayton, the Democratic governor of Minnesota who let his state's government shutdown rather than accept the refusal of Republican lawmakers to raise income taxes on the wealthy, was born into money.

    It made him sure of something: "I grew up in that environment. I know people can afford it."
    The Associated Press: Minnesota Dem gov fights GOP's 'no new tax' stance

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •