Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 181

Thread: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Aren’t the Democrats currently holding the country hostage by demanding tax increases and spending increases as part of the debt ceiling increase?

    I guess it depends upon who you ask doesn’t it?
    You keep conveniently leaving out the part where Dems agreed to cuts as well.

    Have the Repubs offered any tax/spending increases? Nope.

    So its not exactly the same thing, is it?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  2. #92
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    If what you said was clear, it wouldn't have been misunderstood.
    Then how do you explain you being the only one in the dark?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And your latest post doesn nothing to clarify because you have yet to explain why BO's promise to meet with foreign leaders applies to members of the republican party. All you did was ask a question, and a question is not an explanation.
    You're right - I made an assumption there. I assumed that BO would have an easier time deciding and meeting with Republicans without preconditions, and a more difficult time meeting with foreign leaders who sponsor terrorism against the United States. That was a bad assumption. I apologize.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #93
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Translation of this thread: GPS_Flex twists what the argument says in order to make himself look like he read the article. People read the argument, see the bull**** and a few idiots act like Republicans have any intention of solving anything.
    Huh? That didn't make a lick of sense.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  4. #94
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Huh? That didn't make a lick of sense.
    Don't worry - that's par for the course with some posters.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #95
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,202

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    This may be true. However, when you are going on fundraisers and vacations it isn’t usually wise to claim that the other guys should stay and work on the issue unless you are ready to do the same.

    It makes you look like a hypocrite.
    Not really, it is the job of Congress to pass a budget. The President would like to be involved, but at the end of the day, he doesn't have a lot of involvement. Plus, he's delegated this off to Biden.

    So if the Republicans really wanted to get it done, they could invite Pelosi and Biden. Pelosi, because she represents Dem leadership in Congress, and Biden because he's Obama's "guy" on this issue.

    It's a show. The President getting involved would largely be for show, and this invitation was a show. Obama doesn't come out smelling like roses in the show, but this wasn't going to be a substantive discussion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #96
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    You know, I get so tired of hearing people complain about the President not taking a leadership role in these budget talks. It's not the President's job to do these things. That's Congress' responsibility. They're the ones who control the country's purse strings, i.e., appropriations.

    Again...process, ladies and gentlemen. Understand it and you'll understand why McConnell's "invite" was bogus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I know what you said and you're right. You didn't specifically say anything about whether or not the President had submitted a budget. But in attempting to discuss the process of government, you used the president's scheduling time table for submitting a budget to Congress in an attempt to make your point concerning the President's responsiblity to adhering to the budgetary "process" under the law. Towhich, you posted:



    As such, you attempted to show that the President had not followed the presidential budgetary process himself. I just proved you wrong! And now you're attempting to run from it.

    I wasn’t trying to prove he didn’t follow the budgetary process, I was simply proving that you didn’t know what you were talking about when you claimed it wasn’t the president’s job to take a leadership role in the budget process.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  7. #97
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    The Democrats have already offered up $2 trillion in cuts and are asking for $400 Billion in revenues by cutting tax loopholes.
    I’m going to need you to provide a source for this.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    So, if you ask someone who actually knows what's going on, you might get the right answer.
    Since you “know what’s going on", I trust you will show me the source for the above.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  8. #98
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    You keep conveniently leaving out the part where Dems agreed to cuts as well.

    Have the Repubs offered any tax/spending increases? Nope.

    So its not exactly the same thing, is it?
    I have no idea what the Democrats have agreed to cut. Do you?

    By the way, spending increases to reduce the debt? Are you serious?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  9. #99
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Compromise to a "Progressive" means capitulation.

    You saw OUR verison of "compromise" last November.
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  10. #100
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    McConnell invites Obama to GOP lunch; president says no, thanks



    The President scolds congress for not doing enough to resolve the debt issue and compares them negatively to his daughters and says that congress should forego its 4th of July recess to “do their job” and work on a solution to the debt crisis and “get it done”. The Senate forgoes its recess, as suggested and the Republicans invite him to join them for lunch to try to work on this issue but he refuses because it’s “not a conversation worth having”? Instead he flies to Philadelphia for another fundraiser?


    He has been AWOL on this entire issue and the day after he chastises republicans for “not doing their job” he decides his fundraiser is more important than him showing up to do his job for a change.

    This guy is certain to be a one term President because the Voters are going to do their jobs in about 16 months when they throw this lazy butt to the curb and elect someone who will take the job serious.
    McConnell has said his mission was the make Obama a one term President, I can't blame Obama at all.


Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •