Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 437

Thread: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

  1. #91
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Well good for you. Tell that to the 14 million that are unemployed .. I'm sure they are spending more then when they were working, and considering it the wise thing to do.

    I've said this over and over again . .Clinton was the best we had … over his 8 years we raised taxes (one of the biggest tax hikes in history) we fought no wars, cut defense spending to bare bones, we had no catastrophes such as Katina .. and we only went in debt another 1.5 trillion it's pretty bad when you say that is the best we had. But it goes to show our government will outspend what it takes in no matter what .

    Our government has shown that no amount of money given them is enough … so no .. I'm not convinced that giving them more is the answer to anything .. Show me you can make the cuts .. show me you can make our programs more efficient, only then will I even consider giving you more … until that can be shown .. make due with what you are getting.

    We do agree on one thing .. to get out of this mess .. we will have to raise taxes and cut spending .. that I will agree with .. it's just that I want to see some progress … real progress in the cutting .. not just the paper shuffling we have seen in the past. when I see some progress that the very government that has put us in this debt is taking steps to get us out of it ... then and only then would I find it proper to ask the citizens of this country to help out by paying more .. and that help should come from all people not just the rich. even if it's just $100 dolllars each from those 47% that now pay nothing in federal income tax. Our country belong to everyone .. and everyone needs to help.

    Those tax hikes can be much like the tax cuts .. that will expire after we get the debt paid down to a manageable amount.

    I was talking of those on welfare .. that have been on it all their lives .. those that are phyically capable of working that choose to remain wards of the state .. that program alone .. (if I remember this figure right) costs us about 400 billion dollars a year .. and doesn't do enough to help those that really need it because so much is given to those that make it a life time program for themselves .
    You realize, laying off more teachers adds to the unemployed? Other than trying to skip the point being made, your argument on this front is illogical. Let's take just a moment to remember the point. We attack it on both ends, reducing spending and increasing revenue.

    And you agree that we will have to raise taxes, and by j's like, he must as well. That's good to here.

    Now, would you also agree that cuts should be targetted? Aimed at where the problem is, and not just mindlessly cut with no plan?

    As for welfare, are you speaking of corporate welfare? Is that what you see when you use the word, or are you more sterotypical and see poor folk, single moms, and such? If you're the latter, you're looking at small patatoes and are skipping the problems again to focus on something that will have no large or siginificant effect. Cutting will only be delt with effectively by addressing the big three. Nothing else will make a dent, and is a waste of energy to whine about. However, politicians keep the populace from the big three in part by demonizing those who have no lobbying group. It works too.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The one thing I'd like to see here is whom exactly makes the actual decision on cuts in any given school system.

    I mean not the macro cut, that comes out of the local government. But the decision on these teachers. This is not Walker, or anyone in individual cases to cut these teachers. More like Board decisions that are largely made up of top level school administrators (demo's), and possibly union hacks axing teachers instead of themselves to make political hay.

    These self interested buffoons make fools of you libs that so easily fall for their ploys.

    j-mac
    Varies, but our leaders can target and make a plan. One is mentioned earlier in the thread, where a republican leader made just such a proposal.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #93
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,278

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Varies, but our leaders can target and make a plan. One is mentioned earlier in the thread, where a republican leader made just such a proposal.

    Well, then you must be all happy then when the union, and the corrupt shills they install use you as pawn's in their cynical game of politics...Good thing its only your job, but hey, they'll be happy to give you more talking points, and boogey men to attack.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #94
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, then you must be all happy then when the union, and the corrupt shills they install use you as pawn's in their cynical game of politics...Good thing its only your job, but hey, they'll be happy to give you more talking points, and boogey men to attack.

    j-mac
    J, I don't hate the working man. There are all kinds of lobbyist, it isn't only the working person's that is evil. Please, consider that working people need as much of a voice as the wealthy.

    And J, you neither understand nor speak for any union. You might make a fair corporate shill, as you're more their pawn than I am the unions. However, this distraction of yours has nothing to do with any point made. Can you address a point?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #95
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,278

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    J, I don't hate the working man. There are all kinds of lobbyist, it isn't only the working person's that is evil. Please, consider that working people need as much of a voice as the wealthy.

    And J, you neither understand nor speak for any union. You might make a fair corporate shill, as you're more their pawn than I am the unions. However, this distraction of yours has nothing to do with any point made. Can you address a point?
    Ha! Me a corporate shill....I should tell my mom.....Look pal I am a middle class Commercial Truck driver. I am probably more the preverbal "working man" than any union hack. Don't you forget it.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #96
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, exactly my point....When these boards convene to make their cuts, How much would you like to bet that a majority of them in cases like these are liberal bureaucrats that instead of really taking into account the drivers of education like overly redundant administration like themselves they instantly knee jerk to teachers to cause the uproar in the first place.

    j-mac
    What you aren't understanding is that they aren't allowed to cut their own position because they are established by local government. The over lap isn't created by the teachers union or the administration themselves, it created by localities demanding completely control over their area, even if that area only severs 200 students.
    Last edited by xpiher; 07-04-11 at 09:23 PM.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  7. #97
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    (CNN) -- [/url]


    Cuts have consequences.
    Meh. They werent really learning anything anyways.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  8. #98
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You realize, laying off more teachers adds to the unemployed? Other than trying to skip the point being made, your argument on this front is illogical. Let's take just a moment to remember the point. We attack it on both ends, reducing spending and increasing revenue.

    And you agree that we will have to raise taxes, and by j's like, he must as well. That's good to here.

    Now, would you also agree that cuts should be targetted? Aimed at where the problem is, and not just mindlessly cut with no plan?

    As for welfare, are you speaking of corporate welfare? Is that what you see when you use the word, or are you more sterotypical and see poor folk, single moms, and such? If you're the latter, you're looking at small patatoes and are skipping the problems again to focus on something that will have no large or siginificant effect. Cutting will only be delt with effectively by addressing the big three. Nothing else will make a dent, and is a waste of energy to whine about. However, politicians keep the populace from the big three in part by demonizing those who have no lobbying group. It works too.
    I'm sorry boo … but it wasn't walker that laid of the teachers, He made cuts to the budget, and handed off the responsibility to the school system on how to handle those cuts …. see you are like a true lib looking to find fault with Walker an nothing else. I don't see you ire at those that “actually” laid the teachers off .. . and you keep ignoring that well Milwaukee Public Schools laid off teachers .. other districts did not …. but hey why let facts get in the way of trashing a republican right ?

    Did you mis-understand my stance on taxes ?? Remember I said I would be for tax increases for all wage class earners … “BUT” only after there have been verified cuts in spending. I'm not about to give the vary same government that has put us 15 trillion dollars in debt … more money to raise the debt more … that concept is just plain stupid … in the last 30 years they have only shown that they can spend more then they are given. With that kinda a track record only a fool would be willing to give them more.

    Well I can agree cuts should be targeted .. we will never agree on cuts .. because you are a liberal . . and feel the rich .. and the corporation are the only ones at fault .. . and they should be punished by having their income taken from them to support the so called needs of the middle class, while as a conservative .. I feel the proper way to handle the poor and the middle class is to give them the opportunity of better paying jobs .. to raise them up .. so more people can shoulder the responsibility of paying for the government. Give them the opportunity, which is all our constitution promises to do, and what they do with that opportunity is up to them.

    I'm no more stereotypical then you are boo … all you see is taking from others that have done better then average …

    Now you keep saying there should be a plan for cuts .. . well there should be a plan for increasing taxes too .. and I certainly haven't seen any such plan from liberal like yourself .. other then tax the rich and corporate America … very stereotypical wouldn't you say ?

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    In a nutshell, the plan was to get the same work for less.
    horrors

    Machiavelli would be proud.
    so would malloy

    Union Deal Defeated; Gov. Dannel P. Malloy Pledges To Cut Close to 7,500 State Workers - CTnow

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Milwaukee schools to lay off 354 teachers

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But it is no more intelligent to merely cut funds with no real plan.
    who's that, cuomo, brown or rahm?

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •