Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 230

Thread: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

  1. #151
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    I guess if you didn't watch Congress in action over those two years you may not think they were the party of no. They could aptly be called the filibuster party as well. Tell me that they didn't filibuster more than any other Congress in memory. I thought you had a United States going on there. It seems like you have the right and left or the Republicans and Democrats but you have zero unity in your Congress. They are a global joke and not just one side. One politician is pretty much like the next. They talk a different talk until they hit the doors then they all turn out the same. Look at the jokes that are running for President this time sorry they are Republicans but on either side they would be laughed out of politics just 30 or 40 years ago. Yes your Congress is a do nothing just say no Congress. Not one of them. They are an insult to intelligence. I do not defend either side. They are all a joke and the electorate that continues to put them in office are the biggest joke of all. Talk about a nation wallowing at the shallow end of the gene pool.
    Congress does not exist to be unified.
    The parties are not supposed to agree.

    They have not filibustered more than any other Congress.
    The "party of no" line is just an emotional talking point.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #152
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    To the bolded: umm, no, they, didn't. That was Cantor's idea, and it was to score cheap political points.
    um, yes, they did.

    White House Maintains Call For Clean Debt Ceiling Hike

    Politico: Harry Reid Calls for Clean Debt Ceiling Vote

  3. #153
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    You overlooked a couple.
    I was asked for those who had cut spending to reduce the debt. However, I notice that your chart conveniently ends in 2008?

  4. #154
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Congress does not exist to be unified.
    The parties are not supposed to agree.

    They have not filibustered more than any other Congress.
    The "party of no" line is just an emotional talking point.
    and a poor one at that - the Republican party didn't have the ability to filibuster there for a while




    anyway, so, apparently the President lambasted the one party who has actually put forth a budget for not being serious about this, and then he went off on another fundraising trip - he has now done 5 times as many fundraisers as George Bush had at this point in his Presidency, and golfed more in 2 years than Bush did in 8. But he's serious - real serious. Why, he's so serious that he was willing to let Boehner meet him on a golf course to talk about it!
    Last edited by cpwill; 07-01-11 at 09:13 AM.

  5. #155
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    Check Article 2, Section 2, Clause 1 to see how the Constitution authorizes Cabinet departments. Final details are then left up to Congress and the President about what the actual departments will be.

    For the Federal Reserve, look at the same clause that Alexander Hamilton used to defend the constitutionality of the Bank of the United States, and that is Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution.

    What makes the Departments of Treasury, State, and Defense (previously War) constitutional?

    If you believe the two departments you mentioned are unconstitutional, then all departments are unconstitutional. By that logic the United States has not followed the Constitution before even the Bill of Rights were added to it.
    Correct - all departments are technically unconstitutional.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #156
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Congress does not exist to be unified.
    The parties are not supposed to agree.

    They have not filibustered more than any other Congress.
    The "party of no" line is just an emotional talking point.

    As is the constant equivocation argument by certain independents that claim both sides are just as bad, but goes out of their way to only bash Republicans. To your point, the sides are meant to disagree yet pundits and media like to float the notion that all America wants is everyone to get along. That always has been and continues to be BS.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #157
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Then the House is breaking the law.
    Only according to Huffpo, and Democrat senators that refuse to compromise.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #158
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    QUOTE cpwill


    I was asked for those who had cut spending to reduce the debt.
    And you posted four dead President that you say “cut spending to reduce the debt “. My link showed two live Presidents who did it as well.


    However, I notice that your chart conveniently ends in 2008?
    SO…why the four dead Presidents?
    Last edited by Donc; 07-01-11 at 10:58 AM. Reason: to add an r to the you that someone stole
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  9. #159
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post


    You overlooked a couple.



    @ that chart stopping at 2008. I guess the screen resolution wouldn't fit the next few years....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #160
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Obama Hammers Congress: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Then the House is breaking the law.
    The debt ceiling is a limit on the amount the government may borrow. It is not a limit on paying debts or servicing the debt. You are arguing that congress is legally obligated to INCUR debt because the 14th says that debts must be honored. Your argument is stupid and without merit.

    What is needed is for the Dems to face reality. The AARP has acknowledged that Social Security cannot continue as it is currently structured. Medicare is a bigger problem. The welfare state is going to destroy us if we do not make changes.

    Obama is wasting time arguing for tax hikes he could not get from congress when his own party was in control of it. How does he expect to get them from the GOP? He does not. The American people do not wish to raise taxes. Obama KNOWS that he is not going to get a tax hike. He is hoping to use this opportunity to score political points and win over some idiots that have no grasp of the issues. He is the one playing a political game of chicken.

    Continuing to increase our debt is not a good idea when the rest of the world is becoming more concerned about our ability to meet our debts. Our creditors are not idiots and they are well aware that our welfare programs are unsustainable and VERY difficult to change politically.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •