Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 273

Thread: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

  1. #221
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    what is brave about admitting you were foolish enough to vote for someone based on the color of their skin?


    would you be applauding her bravery if she had said "I voted for McCain because he wasn't black"?
    Hmmmm...an interesting twist...

    So as not to derail the thread, if you really want to know my answer I'd suggest you start a thread - a poll even - asking this very same question.

  2. #222
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's the first post apdst and YOU LIKED IT. So to answer you're question: You, apdst, are crying that what he said is "totally Racist".



    No, he didn't use the same voice for Obama as he did for Cain. It's a different, equally mocking voice.

    And for when your sound starts working again, at the bottom is a video of Stewart mocking everybody with various obnoxious accents.
    Was Jon Stewart doing ‘Amos n Andy’ imitation of Herman Cain? | Radio & TV Talk
    I never said that, either. Care to try again?

  3. #223
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Another one that's never heard of Amos and Andy. Incredible!

    If a white person impersonated Obama, in black face would that be racist?
    Yes! That's why comedians and comic shows like SNL use people from the appropriate ethnicity to impersonate well known people in the public domain.

    Sidenote: For the record, Mark Halperin was completely out of line.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 06-30-11 at 08:43 PM.

  4. #224
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    I read what Stewrd said, it wasn't nice. like "i do not like to read..." kinda offensive, but been a comedic piece, I'd give it a little more leeway. But let's be honest, conservative black candidates are rare, however, I tune into stewrd from time to time, he doesn't seem to attack herman any more than other candidates. However, he's clearly left leaning.

  5. #225
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I never said that, either. Care to try again?
    I've said everything that needs to be said and now you look ridiculous for asking "who thinks Stewart's impression was racist", when you liked a post that said Stewart's claim was racist.

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Then it's the intent of Cain bashers too. Liberals hate conservatives, but they especially hate black conservatives or women conservatives. If foodstamps or basketball can't be uttered together with Obama (He is a foodstamp president who plays basketball) then Cain and Don't like to read can't be uttered together without being called racist. (no proof Cain doesn't like to read)
    I don't hate anybody. Politics isn't serious enough to hate anybody over. Stop making baseless generalizations.

  7. #227
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,800
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Comments like these are why the Republican Party sucks so hard at getting minority votes.
    I live in the deep south and lived in the midwest for the vast majority of my life. Racism is present, I have never denied this, but is not as prevalent as some of you are making it out to be. Those who are racist are vastly outnumbered by those that aren't. But at every turn, certain folks (like yourself apparently) like to attempt to tie racism to anyone who is Republican or conservative. The Republicans actually do more for minorities than the democrats do, but that's for a different discussion.

    Bottom line, Cain did not call Stewart a racist. Stewart is a comedian who has people fooled into thinking he is a journalist (Those he has fooled fall in line left of center - imagine that!). The point here is that if a conservative had done a comedic skit about Obama and used an "Amos & Andy" voice to do so, he would have been blasted, and I would have been one of the ones blasting them for it. Instead, we don't have a single liberal stating anywhere in this thread (unless I missed it somewhere), that Stewart's schtick went too far. It's the same old double standard that we see from the left all the time, but we're used to it. Where is the NAACP on this?

  8. #228
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    I live in the deep south and lived in the midwest for the vast majority of my life. Racism is present, I have never denied this, but is not as prevalent as some of you are making it out to be. Those who are racist are vastly outnumbered by those that aren't. But at every turn, certain folks (like yourself apparently) like to attempt to tie racism to anyone who is Republican or conservative. The Republicans actually do more for minorities than the democrats do, but that's for a different discussion.
    I've defended Republicans and the Tea Party against claims of racism on this very board, so you can step off your judgmental, ignorant soapbox. And it's also clear that in this thread those who are throwing out baseless claims of racism are Republicans and conservatives. As for your Republicans do more for minorities than Democrats - BS and I'm not interested in hearing it. And for the record, racism is quite prevalent and as long as conservatives continue to deny the validity of people's experiences with it, they will continue to fall short on the minority vote.

    Bottom line, Cain did not call Stewart a racist. Stewart is a comedian who has people fooled into thinking he is a journalist (Those he has fooled fall in line left of center - imagine that!). The point here is that if a conservative had done a comedic skit about Obama and used an "Amos & Andy" voice to do so, he would have been blasted, and I would have been one of the ones blasting them for it. Instead, we don't have a single liberal stating anywhere in this thread (unless I missed it somewhere), that Stewart's schtick went too far. It's the same old double standard that we see from the left all the time, but we're used to it. Where is the NAACP on this?
    I never said Cain called him a racist. It's conservatives on this board who are making that implication.

    Moreover, that you think Stewart is "fooling" anyone into thinking he is a journalist shows you ignorance of Stewart, his audience and probably many liberals/Democrats. He is a comedian like Stephen Colbert who makes fun of politics. You would be hard pressed to find people who think he's a "journalist" so your comments are irrelevant at best.

    Since you've made your ignorance of Stewart apparent, it's not surprising to me that you think liberals refusal to sate that Stewart went too far is a sign of hypocrisy. If you were more familiar with Stewart, you would realize the absurdity of suggesting that his impression was racist. By your logic, his impression of Russians is anti-Russian, his impression of women are sexist and so on. Although you make fun of those non-existent people who have been "fooled" into thinking he's a journalist, you've fooled yourself into thinking Stewart in anything more than a comedian who is an equal opportunity mocker of the political elite.

    You are right about one thing, however. If a Republican had done the same impression, but for Obama, it would not have been as funny, but that's for one reason and one reason only: there aren't any Republicans equivalents to Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert so just as the impression would have received criticism if it had been done by Anderson Cooper, it would have received criticism if done to Obama by someone like Glenn Beck.

  9. #229
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,800
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Moreover, that you think Stewart is "fooling" anyone into thinking he is a journalist shows you ignorance of Stewart, his audience and probably many liberals/Democrats. He is a comedian like Stephen Colbert who makes fun of politics. You would be hard pressed to find people who think he's a "journalist" so your comments are irrelevant at best.
    Oopsie!

    Online Poll: Jon Stewart Is America's Most Trusted Newsman

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Since you've made your ignorance of Stewart apparent, it's not surprising to me that you think liberals refusal to sate that Stewart went too far is a sign of hypocrisy. If you were more familiar with Stewart, you would realize the absurdity of suggesting that his impression was racist. By your logic, his impression of Russians is anti-Russian, his impression of women are sexist and so on. Although you make fun of those non-existent people who have been "fooled" into thinking he's a journalist, you've fooled yourself into thinking Stewart in anything more than a comedian who is an equal opportunity mocker of the political elite.

    You are right about one thing, however. If a Republican had done the same impression, but for Obama, it would not have been as funny, but that's for one reason and one reason only: there aren't any Republicans equivalents to Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert so just as the impression would have received criticism if it had been done by Anderson Cooper, it would have received criticism if done to Obama by someone like Glenn Beck.
    Yawn... I am very familiar with Jon Stewart. The point I made went over your head, obviously.

  10. #230
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Cain: Stewart Impression Shows 'Problem' With Black Conservatives, But Not Racist

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Wow. An unscientific online poll. Problem#1. Here's another problem with your "proof". Trusting a comedian is not the same thing as thinking of him as a serious journalist. There is an unsubtle difference. He does, in fact, have to take actual news in order to make fun of it.

    Yawn... I am very familiar with Jon Stewart. The point I made went over your head, obviously.
    Not over my head. It's just incredibly stupid. It's simple - you aren't as familiar with Jon Stewart as you think because you wouldn't have made any of the arguments that you made. Nothing about his impression was even remotely racist - it was pretty funny though.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •