Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 105

Thread: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshabar View Post
    I'm really curious to see if Republicans do any better. The border has been unsecured for at least thirty years under both Democrats and Republicans. I used to think it was because Republicans were giving their supporters cheap labor and Democrats were building their base.
    Republican as in national Republicans? No, I have no faith in any of them. It's why states are having to take their own actions.

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,417

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshabar View Post
    I'm really curious to see if Republicans do any better. The border has been unsecured for at least thirty years under both Democrats and Republicans. I used to think it was because Republicans were giving their supporters cheap labor and Democrats were building their base.

    I now believe the border is unsecured because the world banking cartel is getting us ready to more seamlessly blend into the new world order. They think they've dumbed enough of us down and now they need to dilute the independent minded population with more tractable and obedient inhabitants.
    When the Republicans were running the show, the unemployment rate was half what it is now.

  3. #13
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    When the Republicans were running the show, the unemployment rate was half what it is now.
    Very related to the topic. And that high unemployment rate wouldn't have anything to do with the economic recession that happened, would it?

  4. #14
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by krickitt View Post
    The Feds need to get out of the way if they refuse to enforce the laws, and let the states do it. Imagine a USA without illegals.. 30% less in prison, reduction in crime, the savings in welfare ALONE could cover all the uninsured Americans without spending one more cent on Oblamacare.. jobs.. remember jobs?? In Georgia they pay illegals $100 a day to pick Vidalia onions. Lots of unemployed Americans will pick onions for $100 a day rather than be on the gov't dole. If some states choose to keep this national nightmare going-- let them. We don't want to in AZ. But sanctuary states really should not whine for Fed money if they keep enabling the problem.
    Georgia is having lots of trouble due to the shortage of farm workers.

    Farmers tie labor shortage to state's new immigration law, ask for help *| ajc.com

  5. #15
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Pity, but not a surprise. The feds can't let states enforce federal laws that the government is being bribed not to enforce.

  6. #16
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Pity, but not a surprise. The feds can't let states enforce federal laws that the government is being bribed not to enforce.
    What?

  7. #17
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Thrash wrote that under parts of the law, the state is enforcing immigration law that should be left to the federal government.
    He's right about that. It is a federal responsibility. Why they don't accept that responsibility and do something effective about illegal immigration is another question. Now, that raises a third issue:

    If the federal government can block a state from trying to take on something that is the responsibility of the federal government, could a state then block the federal government from taking on an issue that belongs to the state?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #18
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    He's right about that. It is a federal responsibility. Why they don't accept that responsibility and do something effective about illegal immigration is another question. Now, that raises a third issue:

    If the federal government can block a state from trying to take on something that is the responsibility of the federal government, could a state then block the federal government from taking on an issue that belongs to the state?
    Yes. That happens all the time. States have kicked us out of investigations before hundreds of times. It happens a lot with DEA guys since their jurisdiction tends to cross paths with local narcotics units. A good example would be bank robbery, which is federal jurisdiction. If a car in the parking lot of the bank were stolen, the states/locals will argue jurisdiction over that car and the suspects stealing that car, and likely end up a part of the FBI investigation. In this case though, as I've mentioned, there is a specific law, INA 287g, which states that for a state/local police force to enforce immigration law, it must be done under ICE supervision and with written consent from the DOJ/DHS (I believe it's DOJ, it was DOJ last time I heard about it but with the new department that may have changed). In these cases you are usurping 287g and the states are trying to enforce immigration law, which is simply not allowed.
    Last edited by Gargantuan; 06-27-11 at 10:31 PM.

  9. #19
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    He's right about that. It is a federal responsibility. Why they don't accept that responsibility and do something effective about illegal immigration is another question. Now, that raises a third issue:

    If the federal government can block a state from trying to take on something that is the responsibility of the federal government, could a state then block the federal government from taking on an issue that belongs to the state?
    In theory, yes. However, the interstate commerce clause has been so stretched out as to include almost anything, the Feds have created justification to get involved in things it never should have been...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #20
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Yes. That happens all the time. States have kicked us out of investigations before hundreds of times. It happens a lot with DEA guys since their jurisdiction tends to cross paths with local narcotics units. A good example would be bank robbery, which is federal jurisdiction. If a car in the parking lot of the bank were stolen, the states/locals will argue jurisdiction over that car and the suspects stealing that car, and likely end up a part of the FBI investigation. In this case though, as I've mentioned, there is a specific law, INA 287g, which states that for a state/local police force to enforce immigration law, it must be done under ICE supervision and with written consent from the DOJ/DHS (I believe it's DOJ, it was DOJ last time I heard about it but with the new department that may have changed). In these cases you are usurping 287g and the states are trying to enforce immigration law, which is simply not allowed.
    With that level of cooperation, it's a wonder our laws get enforced at all.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •