Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 105

Thread: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

  1. #91
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    I can't imagine what would happen to our economy if 12,000,000 workers were suddenly ripped out of it and deported. Personally, I don't want to pay $10 or $15 for a head of lettuce.

    There sure aren't enough fat, lazy Americans willing to get off the couch to go do those jobs.

    I imagine there would be quite a few farms and orchards closing down because of an inability to hire workers at a wage to keep food costs affordable. All of us have already seen price increases at the grocery store due to higher oil prices and we have taken the hit in our wallets.

    Those increases would seem welcome compared to what would happen if we lost the workforce we currently have.

  2. #92
    Student krickitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battleground AZ
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    188

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Why not make the fat, lazy Americans get off the couch and do the jobs or lose the benefits they get by saying they can't find a job? Send out a form letter--"There are X# of jobs in your area that you qualify for. Please apply within 30 days or present to this office a DR's excuse why you are unable to work. Congratulations on your new job!!"
    I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'.
    Ronald Reagan

  3. #93
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by krickitt View Post
    Why not make the fat, lazy Americans get off the couch and do the jobs or lose the benefits they get by saying they can't find a job? Send out a form letter--"There are X# of jobs in your area that you qualify for. Please apply within 30 days or present to this office a DR's excuse why you are unable to work. Congratulations on your new job!!"
    Let's look at this closely. I think in so very many of the cases the logistics would be nearly insurmountable. Daycare, transportation, local housing, (so many farms are not near cities, etc) health issues which you did address and general conditioning. Farm labor is physically demanding and some people would drop before the noon meal.

    Other than that, slavery was abolished in this country.

  4. #94
    Student krickitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battleground AZ
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    188

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Not to be argumentative, but I drove a cab here in Tucson for almost 11 years. We had gov't medical contracts with medicaid providers. I would pick people up on cash, take them to drop their kids off at free day care, then take them on welfare (free) to their free MD appts, then to get their free prescriptions, take them home as required by welfare transportation contract, then we would switch back to cash and go buy beer, drugs, food stamp groceries.... this is no lie, and if you are unaware of this good for you. You live in a kinder, more fair world than the one cab drivers live in every single day.
    LOTS of people are on welfare in rural areas. Some live there intentionally to qualify for welfare. I'm not lying. I have had $300 trips out in the desert to drive people to and from MD appts. They tell me this stuff, I don't make it up. LOTS of them have CARS, but they LIE about that to get transportation.. We are being taken to the cleaners. You know, of course, that the illegal's kids also qualify for welfare, so we are being bombed on all sides.
    I stand by my idea. If people can PROVE a reason they can't do these jobs-- let them. It is my opinion that if able bodied people do not work by choice they should not be paid.
    THAT is slavery, my friend. Subjugating people to gov't care rather than providing a way for them to stand alone.
    Another thing. One of my young daughter's good girlfriends just got a job on a ranch. She takes care of animals, and it is hard work. The female rancher will NOT hire illegals. She pays these kids $10 an hour and they love their jobs. THAT is the way it should be, IMO.
    I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'.
    Ronald Reagan

  5. #95
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by krickitt View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but I drove a cab here in Tucson for almost 11 years. We had gov't medical contracts with medicaid providers. I would pick people up on cash, take them to drop their kids off at free day care, then take them on welfare (free) to their free MD appts, then to get their free prescriptions, take them home as required by welfare transportation contract, then we would switch back to cash and go buy beer, drugs, food stamp groceries.... this is no lie, and if you are unaware of this good for you. You live in a kinder, more fair world than the one cab drivers live in every single day.
    LOTS of people are on welfare in rural areas. Some live there intentionally to qualify for welfare. I'm not lying. I have had $300 trips out in the desert to drive people to and from MD appts. They tell me this stuff, I don't make it up. LOTS of them have CARS, but they LIE about that to get transportation.. We are being taken to the cleaners. You know, of course, that the illegal's kids also qualify for welfare, so we are being bombed on all sides.
    I stand by my idea. If people can PROVE a reason they can't do these jobs-- let them. It is my opinion that if able bodied people do not work by choice they should not be paid.
    THAT is slavery, my friend. Subjugating people to gov't care rather than providing a way for them to stand alone.
    Another thing. One of my young daughter's good girlfriends just got a job on a ranch. She takes care of animals, and it is hard work. The female rancher will NOT hire illegals. She pays these kids $10 an hour and they love their jobs. THAT is the way it should be, IMO.
    I don't think there is a single person who would deny there are abuses in the system. I don't think there is a single person who would deny that many people use the system correctly.

    In many instances taking a low paying job causes the loss of benefits, including day care and food stamps, leaving the person far worse off than before. The system does need some reform, but not in the kick everybody off and start anew mode.

    People who are unable physically to work should be on disability, not welfare. Eliminating the penalty of losing all benefits when work is found would also reduce payouts and abuse.

  6. #96
    Student krickitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battleground AZ
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    188

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Therein lies the problem. We have made it more profitable for people not to work than to work, after you add up the value of all their benefits. Gov't slavery..
    I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'.
    Ronald Reagan

  7. #97
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by krickitt View Post
    Therein lies the problem. We have made it more profitable for people not to work than to work, after you add up the value of all their benefits. Gov't slavery..
    Incorrect usage of the word slavery. Dependence yes, but not slavery, forcing them to take substandard jobs that would leave them worse off would be slavery.

  8. #98
    Student krickitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battleground AZ
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    188

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Gov't dependence is slavery. HOW?? Someone offers you a management position... but you could lose your free day care and food stamps if you take the job. You reject the offer, and resign yourself to a life of minimum wage at McDonalds instead of toughing it out for a few years and making management and a GOOD wage with benefits. It is a mind set, and is generational now. People KNOW not to shoot for the best they can do.. or else. Gov't will abandon them.. slavery.

    I went from being a stay at home Mom of five to a single mother with no child support for several years. I was not RAISED to depend on gov't, so I did it on my own. I drove a CAB, most dangerous job there is aside from cop and fire, but I NEVER asked the gov't to feed, house, or provide day care for my kids. I wasn't RAISED that way. It was very hard, but I used no one else's money to do it. You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I have little sympathy for people that choose not to work because it would be HARD on them. SOME people CAN'T work, SOME people choose not to work.

    I posted an article on a different board a few months ago that said they pay $100 a day to illegals to pick onions in Georgia, were worried because they pay more to legals. Sorry, but $100 a day in this economy is not bad. Better than driving a cab for the same.

    Aside from welfare-- I bet there ARE people that would do that work rather than be a gov't case. LOTS of them. The argument is that there aren't. I don't believe that. It is a pro-illegal immigration POV, and that is all.
    I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'.
    Ronald Reagan

  9. #99
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by krickitt View Post
    Gov't dependence is slavery. HOW?? Someone offers you a management position... but you could lose your free day care and food stamps if you take the job. You reject the offer, and resign yourself to a life of minimum wage at McDonalds instead of toughing it out for a few years and making management and a GOOD wage with benefits. It is a mind set, and is generational now. People KNOW not to shoot for the best they can do.. or else. Gov't will abandon them.. slavery.

    I went from being a stay at home Mom of five to a single mother with no child support for several years. I was not RAISED to depend on gov't, so I did it on my own. I drove a CAB, most dangerous job there is aside from cop and fire, but I NEVER asked the gov't to feed, house, or provide day care for my kids. I wasn't RAISED that way. It was very hard, but I used no one else's money to do it. You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I have little sympathy for people that choose not to work because it would be HARD on them. SOME people CAN'T work, SOME people choose not to work.

    I posted an article on a different board a few months ago that said they pay $100 a day to illegals to pick onions in Georgia, were worried because they pay more to legals. Sorry, but $100 a day in this economy is not bad. Better than driving a cab for the same.

    Aside from welfare-- I bet there ARE people that would do that work rather than be a gov't case. LOTS of them. The argument is that there aren't. I don't believe that. It is a pro-illegal immigration POV, and that is all.
    We seem to be in agreement on some, but not all here. I wonder if another thread wouldn't be better so we don't completely derail this one.

  10. #100
    Student krickitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battleground AZ
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    188

    Re: Federal judge blocks Georgia immigration law

    Maybe. Start one. I came here from a board where civil discussion was .. let's say.. it did not happen. I'm game if you are. I'm new, don't start threads yet. Do it, and I will post with you.
    I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •