Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 190

Thread: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

  1. #91
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    I fail to see their purpose and neither you nor anyone else has stated what they might be in modern society.
    Just because you fail to see it, doesn't make it not important.
    Probably some sort of self selection bias.

    We still have wars, men are still more muscular than females.
    Men are better protectors, generally speaking.

    Females have all the body parts the enable them to raise children, more effectively.
    They typically should be the primary care giver.
    That is until men start growing breasts and lactate when their children are born.

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Change is change. It does not suddenly become inorganic or top down just because you don't like it. Gender roles are diminishing worldwide and this school is likely just ahead of the game.
    Except that isn't true.
    Organic change guides itself, it's the "Adam Smith" type of evolution that has made humans so successful, in the first place.

    Little "know it alls" that think the world should be how they want it, aren't able to actually make wide spread constructive changes because of information asymmetry.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Change is change. It does not suddenly become inorganic or top down just because you don't like it. Gender roles are diminishing worldwide and this school is likely just ahead of the game.
    Let's not confuse change with progress.

    I like being a man and enjoy women who enjoying being who they are. It's been my experience that many women feel the same way.

    Being part of some gender neutral society doesn't really hold much attraction to a lot of guys. I think the real push back will come when they make a law saying that everyone has to sit down to pee.

  3. #93
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    My first clue came when I asked if ANYBODY could tell me what purpose gender roles serve. No one has done so yet. They have not even tried. The closest anyone has come is explaining what purpose they may have served in the past. So apparently no one believes that they serve any purpose.
    No one has given you a definite purpose for them, probably because most people don't purport to know all the ins and outs of human behavior... so you conclude: well, they must have no purpose then.

    You don't see a problem with your reasoning here?

    Sure, we are all going to die if women don't continue to wear pink.
    I thought you believed we were all going to die if we continued using gendered pronouns

  4. #94
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Just because you fail to see it, doesn't make it not important.
    Probably some sort of self selection bias.
    What is it something that can't be explained or verbalized? Do you suffer this selection bias too because I have asked you to state their purpose and you only gave me what they were.

    We still have wars, men are still more muscular than females.
    Men are better protectors, generally speaking.
    So the justification for gender roles is war? You don't think women can be soldiers?

    Women living in modern society do not need a man for protection. They can get a gun, dog or call the police.

    Females have all the body parts the enable them to raise children, more effectively.
    They typically should be the primary care giver.
    That is until men start growing breasts and lactate when their children are born.
    I would agree, that one is not going anywhere soon.

    Except that isn't true.
    Organic change guides itself, it's the "Adam Smith" type of evolution that has made humans so successful, in the first place.
    This is pretty organic in Sweden. They have been headed this way for awhile.

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,913

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    we don't need no "education"
    we don't need no thought control

    hey! teacher! leave them kids alone!
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    What is it something that can't be explained or verbalized? Do you suffer this selection bias too because I have asked you to state their purpose and you only gave me what they were.
    And what they are.
    I've explained enough, ever wonder why there are more men in manufacturing than women?
    Did you even know that was true?

    It's not because of gender discrimination, it's because of gender self selection.
    Women tend not to choose those career fields because they are not typically, naturally adept to perform those tasks.

    There are plenty of areas like this.
    Police, fire fighter, nursing, teaching.
    All these things are self selected gender slanted fields of employment.

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    So the justification for gender roles is war? You don't think women can be soldiers?

    Women living in modern society do not need a man for protection. They can get a gun, dog or call the police.
    Don't put words into my mouth, I didn't say that.
    I said men typically tend to be better adapted for things like that.

    So you say, but some women prefer to have male protection.
    It is because they were unnaturally conditioned or is it because that is their organic gender want?

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    I would agree, that one is not going anywhere soon.
    Yep.

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    This is pretty organic in Sweden. They have been headed this way for awhile.
    Doubtful.
    Hell the state has an assigned gender of sorts.

    The state has become the male protector.
    Even they can not escape their gender roles.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #97
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    No one has given you a definite purpose for them, probably because most people don't purport to know all the ins and outs of human behavior... so you conclude: well, they must have no purpose then.

    You don't see a problem with your reasoning here?
    Not definite. Any. Well, that is no longer true as Harry finally answered.

    I thought you believed we were all going to die if we continued using gendered pronouns
    Nope, nobody made that argument. I have only questioned the value of gender roles. I have stated that I believe gender roles damage our ability to relate to one another, but I in no way indicated that was going to lead to the breakdown of sicety. You on the other hand question whether civilization can exist without gender roles remaining unchanged.

  8. #98
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Not definite. Any. Well, that is no longer true as Harry finally answered.
    And I largely agree with what HG has put forth; overall point is, whether they have value or not remains uncertain, so why meddle?

    Nope, nobody made that argument.
    And I never argued that "we are all going to die if women don't continue to wear pink."

    Ridiculous assertion = ridiculous response

    I have only questioned the value of gender roles. I have stated that I believe gender roles damage our ability to relate to one another, but I in no way indicated that was going to lead to the breakdown of sicety.
    Well, I'd hope you wouldn't make that claim, since humans in all societies have always recognized gender roles, as far as we can tell.

    And why don't you answer my question: How do you know they damage our ability to relate to each other... Have you ever lived in or studied an entirely gender-neutral society to test your theory?

    You on the other hand question whether civilization can exist without gender roles remaining unchanged
    Making up my arguments out of thin air again? This tactic is not working well for you.
    Last edited by other; 06-28-11 at 03:03 AM.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post

    I have stated that I believe gender roles damage our ability to relate to one another.
    Are you speaking from your own personal experience here?

    I can relate very well to some men, not to others, very well to some women and not to others. That probably holds true for most people.

    The inability to relate to others is not necessarily gender biased.

  10. #100
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: No 'him' or 'her'; preschool fights gender bias

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    And what they are.
    I've explained enough, ever wonder why there are more men in manufacturing than women?
    Did you even know that was true?

    It's not because of gender discrimination, it's because of gender self selection.
    Women tend not to choose those career fields because they are not typically, naturally adept to perform those tasks.
    Gender roles discourage women from valuing the skills that would make them adept at those tasks.

    There are plenty of areas like this.
    Police, fire fighter, nursing, teaching.
    All these things are self selected gender slanted fields of employment.
    Self selection is influenced by gender roles. That is what this is all about.

    Don't put words into my mouth, I didn't say that.
    I said men typically tend to be better adapted for things like that.
    First off, I would not want to justify anything on war which is hard to justify in itself.

    Still your argument does not hold anymore. With modern weapons and equipment women are more than capable of serving as soldiers.

    So you say, but some women prefer to have male protection.
    It is because they were unnaturally conditioned or is it because that is their organic gender want?
    I would not doubt some still feel some preference for it. We have to have more than that or they going to all go lezbo.

    A woman's role as a mother is always going to be definite, but men are pretty much obsolete.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •