Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 309

Thread: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

  1. #211
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Ooo, wow -- those gays are so devious, they're conspiring to make the animals catch the gay!

    Golly, I just never susp--
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #212
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Oh my God! That is one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen!

    Is Christwire like Colbert or are they serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  3. #213
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Oh my God! That is one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen!

    Is Christwire like Colbert or are they serious?
    They are definitely a joke site. I can't remember who it was, possibly MSNBC, but they ran a Christwire story and then later had to retract and got criticized for it because they didn't realize it was satire.

  4. #214
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,752

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    You know, there is a huge irony with this issue. Republicans are pushing the Defense of Marriage Act, which if passed, would deny the states the right to determine marriage for themselves. But I thought Republicans were in favor of states rights. But now comes the real irony. Liberals are pissed at Obama, who came out with a statement that marriage belongs to the states.



    So, on the issue of states rights, at least where it comes to gay marriage, The Republican Party is way to the left of Obama, and Obama is actually more conservative than they are. Who would have thunk it?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    So, on the issue of states rights, at least where it comes to gay marriage, The Republican Party is way to the left of Obama, and Obama is actually more conservative than they are. Who would have thunk it?
    Honestly, when it comes to issues of civil rights, Federal law must trump State law.

    However, I am not sure if marriage is a civil right.

  6. #216
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Honestly, when it comes to issues of civil rights, Federal law must trump State law.

    However, I am not sure if marriage is a civil right.
    The SCOTUS ruled that it was.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #217
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    their rights deserve protection as well.
    What about the rights of employers when interracial marriage is against their beliefs? Don't their rights deserve the same protections? Or wouldn't we say that civil rights are more important than a person's right to discriminate?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #218
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    back at you.

    the question was how this effects non homosexuals. I explained how it does.

    a study about what happens in the next 10 years doesn't effect me however, so at least from my own perspective, your supporting evidence is a straw man.
    Then you must concede that every marriage affects this, not just same sex marriages. You cannot say that every married couple should be entitled to joint ownership of all money made within the marriage, which is why spouses have rights to SS claims upon their spouse's SS, and then make an exception of same sex couples just because they are the lastest types of couples to be allowed to enter into marriage contracts.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #219
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Then you must concede that every marriage affects this, not just same sex marriages. You cannot say that every married couple should be entitled to joint ownership of all money made within the marriage, which is why spouses have rights to SS claims upon their spouse's SS, and then make an exception of same sex couples just because they are the lastest types of couples to be allowed to enter into marriage contracts.
    Could you rephrase this? I was a little confused by your choice of wording.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #220
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    lol, two things: First, I am really old. Second, it won't happen as long as there is a 5-4 conservative majority on SCOTUS.
    Are you including Kennedy as a conservative? It is generally believed that Kennedy is a swing vote, known to take either side and has, in the past, generally voted for gay rights.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •