Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 309

Thread: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    ???????????????????

    You don't remember your history? Blacks use to not be able to sit at the lunch counter in Woolworths.

  2. #122
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    You don't remember your history? Blacks use to not be able to sit at the lunch counter in Woolworths.
    yes, government even codified this, which was the aspect that needed rectified. what I still don't understand is why you felt it was useful for THIS conversation?

  3. #123
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    yes, government even codified this, which was the aspect that needed rectified. what I still don't understand is why you felt it was useful for THIS conversation?
    Because separate but equal, although upheld by a government, was instituted by people who discriminated, based on their core beliefs.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #124
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Because separate but equal, although upheld by a government, was instituted by people who discriminated, based on their core beliefs.
    but Woolworth changed their policy because the boycotts caused them to lose money. this was solved without govenrment force, as it should be.

  5. #125
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    but Woolworth changed their policy because the boycotts caused them to lose money. this was solved without govenrment force, as it should be.
    Ah, so you disagree with that particular provision of the Civil Rights Act which deals with making it illegal for businesses to discriminate on the basis of skin color?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #126
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    but Woolworth changed their policy because the boycotts caused them to lose money. this was solved without govenrment force, as it should be.
    The government sent in the FBI, after buses were set on fire, during Freedom Summer. And don't forget about Mississippi Burning either, and the civil rights workers who were murdered, the black citizens who were severely beaten, the churches that were burned to the ground, and the homes that were destroyed. It took Federal troops and the FBI to end it.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #127
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Ah, so you disagree with that particular provision of the Civil Rights Act which deals with making it illegal for businesses to discriminate on the basis of skin color?
    I believe practicing individual bigotry is a right that the courts have removed, yes.

  8. #128
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,322
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    but Woolworth changed their policy because the boycotts caused them to lose money. this was solved without govenrment force, as it should be.
    Maybe I've come into this roommate, but are you really equating the national gay civil rights debate with equal treatment at woolworths?

    It was merely a step on the road, just like the bus boycott after Rosa Parks, it all led to the civil rights act.

    When it comes to the rights of the people, the government must step in to secure those rights.

    Just because you change the policy of a company or busses, doesn't mean you've truly gotten your rights.

  9. #129
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The government sent in the FBI, after buses were set on fire, during Freedom Summer. And don't forget about Mississippi Burning either, and the civil rights workers who were murdered, the black citizens who were severely beaten, the churches that were burned to the ground, and the homes that were destroyed. It took Federal troops and the FBI to end it.
    you are back to voting rights again? lol.

  10. #130
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    When it comes to the rights of the people, the government must step in to secure those rights.
    hence the dilemma - individual bigotry is a right.

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •