Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 309

Thread: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

  1. #111
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    the so called ex conservative with his appeals based on emotion.

    things such as who you hire, who you work for, who you buy a car from, who you have dinner with - all come with various types of discrimination.

    when government forces you to stop discriminating based on your core beliefs, it is a loss of a right. this is true regardless of where you fall on the class warfare divide that you so eagerly embrace.
    When government forces you to stop discriminating, blacks are able to vote, women are able to work, and the handicapped are able to live fruitful lives. What's so hard to understand about that?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #112
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    When government forces you to stop discriminating, blacks are able to vote, women are able to work, and the handicapped are able to live fruitful lives. What's so hard to understand about that?
    black voting is a straw man - it has no bearing on individual discrimination, it is a government function.

  3. #113
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    when government forces you to stop discriminating based on your core beliefs, it is a loss of a right. this is true regardless of where you fall on the class warfare divide that you so eagerly embrace.
    In conservative speak wouldn't it be loss of a "privilege" since it isn't enumerated in the Constitution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #114
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    black voting is a straw man - it has no bearing on individual discrimination, it is a government function.
    Are you suggesting that a marriage license isn't a government function?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  5. #115
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    black voting is a straw man - it has no bearing on individual discrimination, it is a government function.
    It was a government function, supported by and carried out by individuals who had a core belief.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #116
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Are you suggesting that a marriage license isn't a government function?
    not at all. we are discussing fall out from the fact that government is involved in marriage.

    the question was asked how this rule change even effects non gays. I correctly pointed out that it effect employers that provide insurance to spouses.

  7. #117
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    In conservative speak wouldn't it be loss of a "privilege" since it isn't enumerated in the Constitution?
    no, we enumerate powers we grant to the government, not rights we leave to the individuals (or states as outlined in the last of the initial bill of rights)

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    black voting is a straw man - it has no bearing on individual discrimination, it is a government function.
    sit-in-va.jpg
    lunch counter sit in.

  9. #119
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    sit-in-va.jpg
    lunch counter sit in.
    ???????????????????

  10. #120
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: New York to Become the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    not at all. we are discussing fall out from the fact that government is involved in marriage.

    the question was asked how this rule change even effects non gays. I correctly pointed out that it effect employers that provide insurance to spouses.
    True. Laws have impacts. And yet businesses in New York tended to support this law for two reasons. One, most companies were already providing insurance benefits to the partners of gay employees. Two, gay marriages provide a major source of new revenue. Just because something has an impact does not mean it is a negative impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •