Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 130

Thread: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

  1. #21
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    But we're not talking about tax cuts here. We are not talking about raising taxes on certain income brackets. We are talking about killing subsidies that allowed corporations to pay NOTHING IN TAXES AND GET CREDITS last year. GE paid nothing in taxes but got a tax credit in the hundred millions. Is that right? Absolutely not, but your GOP friends think it's ok. We are talking about loopholes allowing 47% of Americans to pay NOTHING in taxes.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    But we're not talking about tax cuts here. We are not talking about raising taxes on certain income brackets. We are talking about killing subsidies that allowed corporations to pay NOTHING IN TAXES AND GET CREDITS last year. GE paid nothing in taxes but got a tax credit in the hundred millions. Is that right? Absolutely not, but your GOP friends think it's ok. We are talking about loopholes allowing 47% of Americans to pay NOTHING in taxes.
    From what I'd heard, the reason GE paid no taxes last year was because they wrote off huge losses from years prior.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You can prove this? Note importantly that proving revenue gains does not in fact prove your point, since the system is fairly complex and you are not isolating a variable.
    Conclusion

    The Reagan tax cuts, like similar measures enacted in the 1920s and 1960s, showed that reducing excessive tax rates stimulates growth, reduces tax avoidance, and can increase the amount and share of tax payments generated by the rich. High top tax rates can induce counterproductive behavior and suppress revenues, factors that are usually missed or understated in government static revenue analysis. Furthermore, the key assumption of static revenue analysis that economic growth is not affected by tax changes is di sproved by the experience of previous tax reduction programs. There is little reason to expect static revenue analysis to evaluate the economic or distributional effects of current tax reform proposals much better than it evaluated the Reagan tax program 15 years ago.

    Christopher Frenze
    Chief Economist to the Vice-Chairman
    The Reagan Tax Cuts: Lessons for Tax Reform
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #24
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    But we're not talking about tax cuts here. We are not talking about raising taxes on certain income brackets. We are talking about killing subsidies that allowed corporations to pay NOTHING IN TAXES AND GET CREDITS last year. GE paid nothing in taxes but got a tax credit in the hundred millions. Is that right? Absolutely not, but your GOP friends think it's ok. We are talking about loopholes allowing 47% of Americans to pay NOTHING in taxes.
    GE got the hook up cause the company is run by folks in bed with Obama...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #25
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Do you have anything from an economist who is not a supply side republican?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    GE got the hook up cause the company is run by folks in bed with Obama...
    LIES! ALL LIES!

    They gave money to the GOP in 2008, not Obama...
    <sarcasm>

  7. #27
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Do you have anything from an economist who is not a supply side republican?
    I thought house.gov would work for you.

    How about a picture?







    If that doesn't help, nothing will.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #28
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Those pictures are lame and have been discounted repeatedly by pretty much every one with an education. Does the phrase "isolating a variable" mean anything to you? How about the phrase "correlation does not mean causation"? The economy almost always grows(it is rare enough that if it doesn't for 6 months, it is called a recession), and if the economy grows, tax revenue grows. So all your charts do is show the economy grows, and no one argued otherwise.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #29
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    LIES! ALL LIES!

    They gave money to the GOP in 2008, not Obama...
    <sarcasm>
    That was debunked. I believe someone personally debunked it to Mr.Vicchio yet he continues to make that point. They were low-mid level GE employees who donated to Obama's campaign, along with millions of other Americans who donated to Obama's campaign which raked in unprecedented amounts of donations.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Key republican bolts from debt ceiling talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    That was debunked. I believe someone personally debunked it to Mr.Vicchio yet he continues to make that point. They were low-mid level GE employees who donated to Obama's campaign, along with millions of other Americans who donated to Obama's campaign which raked in unprecedented amounts of donations.
    so you admit GE employees gave to Obama (as is their right). And that massive support from GE employees had 'nothing' to do with any tax breaks and such that GE got since the election, right?

    GE's CEO was not named an economic advisor to Obama, right?

    F.D.I.C. to Back $139 Billion in GE Capital Debt - NYTimes.com
    General Electric said Wednesday that the federal government had agreed to insure as much as $139 billion in debt for its lending subsidiary, GE Capital.
    move along... nothing to see here folks.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •