Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 246

Thread: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

  1. #211
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    I said nothing about pausing anything. You are putting words in my mouth.
    you stated it is a concern - meaning it is something we have to give thought to.

    huh? Tell us about how this drug use leads to prayer? Or do you mean that prey which would seem to imply you think drugs are animate and actively seek out their users? My concern was certainly meant to be tongue in cheek but yours are amusing for other reasons.
    mine are actually valid - a nanny state often prevents people from reaching rock bottom - which is needed to clean up from drugs. So legalizing drugs, while not enforcing personal responsibility is a bad combination.

    The Capones have no great family wealth.
    the Busch's filed for bankruptcy prior to figuring out how to pasteurize beer. We can go all day singling out individual people.

  2. #212
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Proof that when THC mimics a neurotransmitter, a chemical equilibrium is established, and over decades of use will result into the deterioration of the brain.
    Could you please quote the section where it says that "decades of use will result into the deterioration of the brain." I am having trouble finding it.

    Also, I was hoping that you would have noticed, asked and then answered the issue I quietly implied about why any of the other acids we use for neurotransmitters, like glutamic acid, don't cause deterioration of our brain over decades of use.

    but w/e. keep on lecturing us APkid.

    "I like how people that don't smoke pot, or haven't even dealt with what they are talking about, think they know what they are talking about."
    Last edited by Simon W. Moon; 06-28-11 at 10:46 PM.
    I may be wrong.

  3. #213
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I find your attitude alarming to be perfectly honest.

    this type of view actually makes me think twice about decriminalization.
    That's actually me paraphrasing what I remember about the question of stoned versus drunk driving.

    The driving more carefully bit was the comparison of one beer/one hit, not stoned/drunk.

    Sorry if it sounded like an endorsement of driving while impaired.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #214
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Looks like "APkid" has been listening to too much outdated anti-drug material in his school health class. I looked at my son's health notes he had last year and apparently the teacher instructed the students that marijuana "kills sperm in great numbers, thus leading to infertility", but failed to mention that the average male produces a few million sperm daily as well as "marijuana is physically addictive", which is just so totally wrong I didn't even know where to start.
    Last edited by Gargantuan; 06-29-11 at 01:06 AM.

  5. #215
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    you stated it is a concern - meaning it is something we have to give thought to.


    mine are actually valid - a nanny state often prevents people from reaching rock bottom - which is needed to clean up from drugs. So legalizing drugs, while not enforcing personal responsibility is a bad combination.
    What's rock bottom on marijuana? Empty cubbards and a pile of food wrappers?

    You are wrong on both points, though. The welfare state does not stop people from hitting rock bottom and you don't need to hit rock bottom to stop using.

    the Busch's filed for bankruptcy prior to figuring out how to pasteurize beer. We can go all day singling out individual people
    Free markets lead to vast sums of wealth. Black markets lead to an early grave. Mexico is not growing wealthy. The life expectancy is growing shorter.

  6. #216
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Jesus. You guys are dumb.

    Those two sources do not directly say what I said. They provide the facts for your brain to come to a logical conclusion from A to B.

    Every chemical reaction goes to a state of equilibrium. What does that mean? Let's take a slab of marble and pour water onto it shall we? When the water makes contact with the marble, a very one sided equilibrium would occur. The equilibrium constant is defined as the concentration of products over reactants. So for example, let us use the following reaction: [A] + [B] <----> [C] + [D] + [E]

    Therefore.... E = [C][D][E] / [A][B] Where [] equals the concentration in moles per liter. Back to the example of water on marble. The equilibrium constant for this reaction would be very very small because there would be a very high concentration of reactants. However, there would still be a reaction going in the forward direction. It wouldn't be many molecules, but it would be there. How would you prove it? If you could pour water on the slab of marble and devise a way to extract ALL of the water, over time trial after trial the volume of water you retrieved would steadily decrease. Also, if you were to pour water on the slab of marble for year after year after year, and you were to re-mass the marble slab, you would notice that some mass would of been lost.

    This is what I mean when I say every reaction goes into a state of equilibrium. When you touch something, there is a small reaction. Sure, the equilibrium constant would be very very small, I completely agree with that, but there would be some atoms that would go in the forward direction. This is what equilibrium means.

    So when THC binds with a neuron, a chemical reaction is started. There would be an equilibrium constant associated with that reaction, as I have stated in the past. That means, there would be a forward reaction in a small number, but a number nonetheless. So, over years and years and years of smoking pot, you would see a considerable different brain between the daily smoker and the control.

    If you do not believe what I just said, go take a basic high school chemistry class. I will leave with one question for those who are skeptical about what I said about chemical equilibrium:

    Why is it that when you pour a glass of distilled water there is a pH of 7?

    I eagerly await your responses.

  7. #217
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Jesus. You guys are dumb.
    lol. I suppose I may be. But that really isn't any defense for your ignorance.

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Those two sources do not directly say what I said. They provide the facts for your brain to come to a logical conclusion from A to B.
    But it doesn't follow logically. As I pointed out, most of what goes on between nerves is conducted by acids. If the thc metabolite, (it doesn't cross the bbb directly btw), wasn't an acid like the neurotransmitters that naturally occur, it wouldn't fit in the receptor.

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Every...responses.
    The body is full of a lot of complex chemistry and adjusting systems. That's why we look at what drugs actually do in a body rather than being satisfied with what we think they will do.
    It's not occurring in a beaker.

    Why don't our regular neurotranmitters, eat away at our brain since they are acids too?
    Have you figured that out yet?

    Is it even possible that there are things going on that you haven't accounted for?

    When you have evidence of your hypothesis actually occurring, please post it. There're reasons why hypotheses are tested.

    People "common sense" very wrong things all the time. Your hypothesis is one of those times.
    I may be wrong.

  8. #218
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Did you read my sources? THC mimics some neurotransmitters of the brain. The reason why neurotransmitters don't eat away at our brain is because the cells are designed to receive those chemicals. THC isn't designed for, and is able to fit in the receptors pretending to be other chemicals.

    Please tell me, spell out for me, what in my response was not logical.

  9. #219
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Did you read my sources? THC mimics some neurotransmitters of the brain. The reason why neurotransmitters don't eat away at our brain is because the cells are designed to receive those chemicals. THC isn't designed for, and is able to fit in the receptors pretending to be other chemicals.
    And the evidence that neurons are actually being degraded is...?

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Please tell me, spell out for me, what in my response was not logical.
    That the results in a lab with few variables are necessarily the results in a different situation with a wide multitude of variables.
    You may still be correct, but the logic is not there to say that it is what definitely happens.

    Neurons interact with acids literally all day long.
    So just theorizing that neurotransmitter-like acids eat up neurons in vivo because acids react with some substances in a lab is not at all the same as proving that they do.

    Now if you had some actual empirical evidence that pot metabolites eat away neurons, it would be different.
    If you have some, please share.
    I may be wrong.

  10. #220
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    All the evidence you need is from the two articles I presented earlier. Even neurotransmitters will have an equilibrium constant, and that chemical reaction will actually start an action potential, driving a current through the brain. What I presented, is the only evidence that you need. I am sure if I were to go to a medical library (like Washington University's medical library) I could obtain even more evidence that you require, but unfortunately I do not have access to that library anymore. I had a non-paying internship at a brain research lab during a summer, and that summer has been long gone.

    Honestly, I got better stuff to do really. If you still require more evidence, I'm sure you can find it. Just look for brain images in subjects that are daily smokers and have been smoking for decades.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •